Ladies hovering, a serious issue

I had mentioned "Outhouse". For you young-uns, no question about seat up or seat down... no seats. Just a round hole in the boards.

I remember when grandma's house in the country changed over to inside the house bathrooms.

My other grandma's outhouse was about 80 feet from their house, but a little different because grandpa had built a long "tunnel" shed out to the back yard, so you didn't have to go outside in the winter. All changed when they got running water and sewer in the early 1940's.

Has not been standard practice in the US for quite some time. May still be true elsewhere

This practice has probably been stopped some time ago in the US as you said. I tried to find something definitive on the Web, but have not been able to.

On the other hand, I saw that the UK promised to install holding tanks in all its trains by 2019, that will be emptied properly at service stations.

Some of the early holding tanks of trains were just devices to avoid dumping waste when at the stations or closer to towns. The tanks had valves that would be opened remotely by the train conductor when the train was safely traveling in the countryside. There's plenty of info on the Web about this. The question is how much of this is still in use today throughout the world.

I’ve surveyed hundreds of miles of railroads where we walked along the tracks. Never once did I see any human feces along the tracks. Mostly urban and suburban areas though. But I have seen all kinds of things along shorelines and floating down rivers. Sewers in some areas allow effluent to flow freely into rivers.

This may be because most US trains are freight trains and not passenger trains.

^ this creeps me out. The fact that I used to walk along railroad tracks. And now I find out that human waste could have been strewn about. The speed of the train obviously creates a large debris field when a train toilet flushes, making it harder to notice.

Yes. :)

I found the following passage from the Web, written by someone who worked on railroad.

... In the “old” days (from the invention of trains in the 19th century up to the end of the “early diesel” period in the latter half of the 20th century, toilets in trains were simply bowls with a drain that emptied directly on to the tracks. The assumption was that since trains were moving fast over long distances, even a full flush of the bowl would be spread over at least several hundred linear feet (three second flush at 80 mph), and that would be outside, in a relatively remote area, biodegradable and exposed to the elements...

Last edited:
Well, DW wants the seat down. I comply. But she doesn't want the lid put down. Sorry, if you want the seat down, they both go down. If I have to lift it up to pee, so do you.:D

I have read that a fine mist is created after a flush. So the health conscious thing to do is to close the lid before flushing! You don’t want that stuff in your lungs.

Growing up, my mother had a good friend who had four boys. After one of many of those "bumps along the way" she said "The Lord made 'em cute so you wouldn't drown 'em".:)

No doubt, a wise woman!

Seat on a spring so it is up unless sat upon.

:fingerwag: No, no, no, no!! Seat down. Lid closed if you want to be consistent about it. Clearly you have not been on the other end of your dear SO wandering in to the bathroom in the middle of the night and falling in. While pregnant. DH is now great at making sure the seat gets put down each and every time!!

Typically bathrooms have seat, sink, shower. It occurs to me how close my toothbrush is to the seat/sink. Bacteria and such float through the air. I do have a door on my seat area but never close it.

:fingerwag: No, no, no, no!! Seat down. Lid closed if you want to be consistent about it. Clearly you have not been on the other end of your dear SO wandering in to the bathroom in the middle of the night and falling in. While pregnant. DH is now great at making sure the seat gets put down each and every time!!
Not sure why this should happen. Does SO also run into doors at night?

I have tried to convince the young wife that the most efficient thing to do is to put the burden of action on the person who stands to lose the most if the action is not taken, which to my mind means she should put the seat down when she needs it. She responded by making sure I have more to lose.

Took a 3 day train trip in the late 60's with the family. As a kid, I thought the coolest thing were the toilets, and how you could watch the tracks wizz by when you opened the trap door. The fixtures all had foot controls so you could hold on to grab bars.

It may be illegal now, but then there was the great Dave Matthews Band bus dump in 2004, done illegally. Showered 100 river boat tourists with the holding tank contents while on the bridge above. Those bridges were of a kind of "open grid" type. We took that river cruise last year and believe me, when we went under the bridge, it came to mind.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/08/08/dave-matthews-band-poop-tour-bus-incident/

Here are my potty thoughts:

1) My late wife hounded me on the lid down thing. I never understood the argument but now that I'm older and sit down to pee much of the time sadly I am all for it.

2) This brings me to the second argument she had which was toilet paper roll must put in correctly where you pull from the top down. I now understand that concept too.

3) Current wife hovers for the most part. Especially in port-o-potty's. I get it. Personally I have sat on thousands and thousand of lids that other men's ass*s have touched without using the horse collar. It's just not my phobia. Yes, I have sat down not previewing the lid and sat on someones pee. Disgusting but not life threatening.

4) I don't get the desire for men to take a huge #2 and let it stew for 20 minutes while stinking up the whole public toilet. In the thousands of airports I have frequented it's just delightful when you get three feet into the bathroom and you're hit with this "bomb". I AM A COURTESY FLUSHER. I WOULD ENCOURAGE PEOPLE OF BOTH SEXES TO PRACTICE THIS ART. However, I am aware that this can lead to potential dirty spray on the behind.

And there you have it. As we know the older we get the more we talk about it. Next week will be a fart discussion.

next week will be a fart discussion.

Ah yes, nothing like a bit of bathroom humor.

farts.jpg

Let's try to avoid this. Being old is desirable; acting old is deplorable.

As we know the older we get the more we talk about it. Next week will be a fart discussion.

Took a 3 day train trip in the late 60's with the family. As a kid, I thought the coolest thing were the toilets, and how you could watch the tracks wizz by when you opened the trap door. The fixtures all had foot controls so you could hold on to grab bars.

It may be illegal now, but then there was the great Dave Matthews Band bus dump in 2004, done illegally. Showered 100 river boat tourists with the holding tank contents while on the bridge above. Those bridges were of a kind of "open grid" type. We took that river cruise last year and believe me, when we went under the bridge, it came to mind.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/08/08/dave-matthews-band-poop-tour-bus-incident/

Ok. I talked with a train expert that I used to work with. Open discharge of sewage from passenger trains is no longer being done. Passenger cars now have holding tanks similar to RV's and the sewage is stored in a holding tank in the train car and pumped out. At least on Metra trains in the Chicago metro area.

Ok. I talked with a train expert that I used to work with. Open discharge of sewage from passenger trains is no longer being done. Passenger cars now have holding tanks similar to RV's and the sewage is stored in a holding tank in the train car and pumped out. At least on Metra trains in the Chicago metro area.

I play racquetball with a friend that worked for the railroad for 20+ years. I don’t know about now but the workers on freight trains were given bags and a 5 gallon bucket in which to perform their business. The bags were often tossed onto electrical lines as an ongoing competition.

I play racquetball with a friend that worked for the railroad for 20+ years. I don’t know about now but the workers on freight trains were given bags and a 5 gallon bucket in which to perform their business. The bags were often tossed onto electrical lines as an ongoing competition.

Ah, the "honey bucket". They were used on some of the older AF planes for solid waste. The liquid waste...well, it just went through the pee tube and out of the airplane. :)

In regards to public bathrooms, when I worked in the restaurant industry (mainly teenage years) I often had to clean bathrooms. I was always amazed at how the women's rooms were usually so much worse off than the men's room.

Apparently the toilet needs to be at the ready to sit on but never ready for standing or just being in it’s fully closed position. Thankfully, DGS is getting better at putting the seat down. It was getting him in trouble.
There was an inventor in Americas Got Inventors that highlight a guy who had a solution to the airborn germs spewed while a full toilet empties, including just #1.

Ever since then, we have been a toilet cover down household. Both up for standing, one up for sitting. I swear we have been healthier since then. Even in public toilets, I flush with my back to the open toilet!

There was an inventor in Americas Got Inventors that highlight a guy who had a solution to the airborn germs spewed while a full toilet empties, including just #1.

Ever since then, we have been a toilet cover down household. Both up for standing, one up for sitting. I swear we have been healthier since then. Even in public toilets, I flush with my back to the open toilet!

Not a bad idea. We have had the habit of closing the lid for the simple reason that our toothbrushes are in the same room (although in a drawer...but still).

Oh, and it appears this has a name..."toilet plume"

Can. Not. Comprehend.

LOL!! I'm being facetious here. :D

If I took the time to write out all (most) of the problems/issues/etc that we went through with those girls from puberty to "womanhood" and the "baggage" boyfriends they dragged home (and situations they got themselves in), I would go crazy and probably shoot myself for even trying to remember it all...:facepalm:

Certainly not as crazy as things would have possibly been with a flock of boys, but not nearly what I expected (in many instances).

Maybe just a hole in the ground? That's what was available in the public restrooms at the train station in Asilah, Morocco. Imagine my surprise during our train journey when I went to use the toilet in the car and it was merely an opening in the floor that dropped human waste on to the tracks below.

My father used to sing this song to us.

“Passengers will please refrain from flushing toilets while the train is standing in the station, I love you”

https://youtu.be/dzJZqispakE

Apparently some trains of yesteryear didn't have holes in the floor. You just used one of these - (saw in a railroad museum in Durango, Co)

Attachments

• train pot.jpg
    train pot.jpg
    777 KB · Views: 49
Ha, I read the title of this thread too quickly as Hoovering and since I’m interested in vacuum cleaners opened it...

A business idea: disposable water soluble paper funnels for men and women on a wall dispenser. Seat on a spring so it is up unless sat upon.

Paper seat protectors used to be available in the finer gas station restrooms back in the days of road trips with my parents. You could also buy them at the camping supply stores.

Well, DW wants the seat down. I comply. But she doesn't want the lid put down. Sorry, if you want the seat down, they both go down. If I have to lift it up to pee, so do you.:D

Bingo! I honestly don't see the controversy. If everyone puts down the seat AND lid, everyone has the same amount of "work" to do before using it.

That just seems fair. Plus you don't get the "plume" when flushing, and there's the added benefit of being less likely to drop my cell phone, contact lens case, toothbrush or whatever else into the bowl. Oh, and it also looks tidier. What possible argument could you make for leaving the lid up?

Hovering is one of the positions the instructor puts us in during spinning classes, but I quickly realized that this thread has nothing to do with that.

Back
Top Bottom