Ladies hovering, a serious issue

A moment of Zen and Meditation:
Watching the toilet flush.

That's the ultimate end of us all: no matter how rich or successful or famous you are, in the end you still go down the proverbial chute. :(

Last edited:
I started hovering, with the seat up, years ago. Got sick of sitting on a wet seat at the health club. Builds thigh muscles. Side of shoe can put down the seat for somebody who likes a wet bum. Most places you don't need to flush - just run away.

As a woman I do not like squatting. It is messy and uncomfortable and tough on the knees. So I always bring Lysol wipes into public restrooms to clean the seat and I also bring toilet seat covers (which I get on Amazon) so I can then sit down on the seat.

In the restrooms in Schiphol Airport (Amsterdam), I noticed they didn't have toilet seat covers but instead had a little dispenser on the wall of the stall that provided disinfectant. Grab a few squares of TP, spray on some of the germ killer, wipe down the seat (and, probably as important, the door handle), and then have a seat. It used a lot less paper than the "*ss gaskets", surely caused fewer clogged pipes, and I'll bet it is more effective.

They also don't flush

Another issue I have is not flushing. What makes people feel the world is interested in what they left behind? It happens in both the toilets and the urinals.

Nothing to do with ladies hovering but bathroom etiquette;

I worked at a Navy training site that had a lot of young kids, probably 95% of them male, and it amazed me how many didn't lift the seat and pee'd all over it!!

Is this something that's not taught anymore?

Aggravating...

I agree. It's disgusting when men leave the seat up, and when women leave it down and get it all wet.

I've always wondered about this. Statistically, whether it is better to leave the seat up or down. As a male, if I put it up and leave it up then if the next user is a male then no action is required and he won't pee on the seat if it were in the down position and doesn't put it up. A female can put it down and it should be good to go. If I put it up and then down again in good condition then it is in good shape for the next female (though now that I have read about hovering I am not so sure!) I have considered a poll in the past (serious!)

I am definitely down with using foot for seat lift. And I must admit even flushing if place is exceptional dodgy. It is nice to see more places, some planes especially with an extension on the seat seemingly designed to facilitate the foot lift! And all the hands free and wave things are great. Although in some places they are problematic, as people now do not flush the manual toilets - thinking they will flush self? What could that handle be for? Seems especially true of urinals and if young crowds frequent locale.

Parents always taught me to leave things better than I found them, coupled with my innate OCD tendencies, I am frequently cleaning up litter in public places, pushing down the paper towels in the over flowing waste baskets, flushing the unflushed, etc. Oh well.

Nothing to do with ladies hovering but bathroom etiquette;

I worked at a Navy training site that had a lot of young kids, probably 95% of them male, and it amazed me how many didn't lift the seat and pee'd all over it!!

Is this something that's not taught anymore?

Aggravating...
I see the same thing all the time in public restrooms. Little boy leaves stall and I enter to find wet seat. Li'l brats need a swirly. :mad:

Life could get much less stressful for some of us just by admitting that no wonder how excellent our training may have been, it is unlikely to be matched by many today. OTOH, there may be some things that the younger or less well drilled people do, that are helpful at least to them. And we we might improve our own experience today by going with the flow, however it seems to go. Of course one entertainment value of social media is to validate our own superiority, so I suppose in a way this is going with the flow!

Ha

.........And we we might improve our own experience today by going with the flow.........
Ha
I'd be happier if the flow wasn't on the toilet seat. :D

There are SO many things dirtier than a toilet seat... handbags, phones, keyboards, freshly dried loads of clothes...

https://www.rd.com/home/cleaning-organizing/germs-toilet-seat/ :dance::dance::dance:

Yes, there are indeed many things that carry germs.

The ones that are particularly bad are things that carry germs that you do not already have.

Yes, there are indeed many things that carry germs.

The ones that are particularly bad are things that carry germs that you do not already have.

One of the benefits of growing up in squalor is that I have already been exposed to most of the bad germs in existence and hence have a robust immune system. I like to think I'm more of a threat to other people than they are to me.

One of the benefits of growing up in squalor is that I have already been exposed to most of the bad germs in existence and hence have a robust immune system. I like to think I'm more of a threat to other people than they are to me.

You may have a point there.

DH did not have an indoor bathroom growing up. There was an outdoor pump for water.

He's got a good immune system too - as do his parents.

I was the only child, and had a stay at home mother. Which left her plenty of time to clean, and clean, and clean. My immune system is less than impressive. :nonono:

DH did not have an indoor bathroom growing up. There was an outdoor pump for water.

I was the only child, and had a stay at home mother. Which left her plenty of time to clean, and clean, and clean. My immune system is less than impressive. :nonono:

When I first came to this country, we did not have indoor plumbing and used an outhouse. I took a bath once a week in a big round galvanized steel trough;my mother poured water over me from a pitcher. I loved the outhouse, because the cool spiders lived there (my mother did not, for the same reason). Even when we moved into town and had running water, we still only bathed once a week. Me and my little brother in the same tub. I had almost every childhood disease there was - including tapeworm, ringworm, pink eye, lice and nits, staph infection, measles, mumps, rubella, strep throat, flu and tonsillitis (I'm sure I'm forgetting a few). I got bit by dogs, cats, snakes and people, stepped on rusty nails and cut myself with hatchets, knives and machetes. I ate food of questionable freshness and cleanliness.

Last edited:

I believe when indoor toilets became more common many old timers were very concerned that it was an very unsanitary thing to have inside the house!

When I first came to this country, we did not have indoor plumbing and used an outhouse. I took a bath once a week in a big round galvanized steel trough;my mother poured water over me from a pitcher. I loved the outhouse, because the cool spiders lived there (my mother did not, for the same reason). Even when we moved into town and had running water, we still only bathed once a week. Me and my little brother in the same tub. I had almost every childhood disease there was - including tapeworm, ringworm, pink eye, lice and nits, staph infection, measles, mumps, rubella, strep throat, flu and tonsillitis (I'm sure I'm forgetting a few). I got bit by dogs, cats, snakes and people, stepped on rusty nails and cut myself with hatchets, knives and machetes. I ate food of questionable freshness and cleanliness.

That was awful. I am sorry you had to go through that. DH had the same bathing situation but did not mention those illnesses. It could not have been that bad. He just mentioned being bitten by a scorpion which had crawled into his bed.

I had almost every childhood disease there was - including tapeworm, ringworm, pink eye, lice and nits, staph infection, measles, mumps, rubella, strep throat, flu and tonsillitis (I'm sure I'm forgetting a few). I got bit by dogs, cats, snakes and people, stepped on rusty nails and cut myself with hatchets, knives and machetes. I ate food of questionable freshness and cleanliness.
I also had a robust upbringing with the same experience. Plus we were poor so would eat expired or nearly expired items in the grocery store.

Even today I get accused of having a cast iron stomach. But I do put the toilet lid down. No point in tempting fate!:dance:

For some reason as a child I used to think that the coldest water in the house was in the toilet. I am not sure where that idea came from though in one place we lived I used to have to carry buckets of spring water in to use to flush the toilet so maybe I equated toilet water with ice cold spring water. I have a very robust immune system!! ;)

I don’t understand why sitzpinkler would be a derogatory term - I guess not considered manly. Men sitting to pee is quite common in Germany and Austria as far as I know, and I suspect it’s due to their bizarre shelf toilets. Not much water to hit - very small area near the front of the bowl and shallow. You can really make a mess trying to stand and pee in those - you’ll almost certainly hit the dry shelf.

Ahh, the Scheissplatz - allows you to examine your feces afterwards. Only problem is you are constantly cleaning skid marks (every German toilet has a brush and a sign telling you to scrub afterwards) and a courtesy flush is really mandatory.......as for the splash reverb from a urine stream, I am female, so didn't think about that, but upon contemplation, can see that happening with the 'platz."

And we we might improve our own experience today by going with the flow, however it seems to go. Of course one entertainment value of social media is to validate our own superiority, so I suppose in a way this is going with the flow!

Ha

Going with the flow!

:: rimshot ::

Ahh, the Scheissplatz - allows you to examine your feces afterwards. Only problem is you are constantly cleaning skid marks (every German toilet has a brush and a sign telling you to scrub afterwards)

That cant be sanitary...

Back
Top Bottom