liposarcoma

lazygood4nothinbum

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
one of my favorite cousin's just had bubba removed. they thought it was floating free but turns out it was attached to her kidney so they had to remove some of that. biopsy indicates liposarcoma. so far looks like has not metastasized. just got the call. cousin's husband tells me not to go to internet because i'll just freak out. but i'm quick to google and i'm freaking a little already.

i can't afford to lose another one. calm me down doc.

So sorry to hear about your cousin. Another reminder that not all bad things are within our ability to prevent.

Prognosis is closely related to the technical aspects - size, location, cell type, etc. I'm sure her surgeon can give her good numbers.

I have seen many patients with various types of sarcomas. While it is a cancer that tends to strike young, it can be cured if found early. When not curable, it is common to see people live with it for decades. Alas, there are also a few whose disease is aggressive and unresponsive but those do seem to be the exception.

Sarcoma means a malignant tumor of "connective tissue" including bone, tendons, ligaments, and even the non-organ tissue within the abdomen and area behind the abdomen which around the kidneys and other structures (the "retroperitoneum"). They occur spontaneously and sometimes get very large before you are even aware of them. Osteosarcoma = bone, liposarcoma = fatty tissue, myosarcoma = muscle, etc.

Here hoping she does great.

thanx doc. also found some good info at mayo site. even a few decades would be great. how much longer do most of us have anyway? well, besides nords who is going to be surfing until he is 135.

such a drag to see this happen to this particular cousin. she's had a pretty tough life including being raised by an abusive mother who she currently has good relationship with, then she was caregiver to both inlaws for many years, what a mess that was. all through that her husband has never been in good health. (has one blown out knee and just as they were getting the bathroom wheelchair ready for his later years, he winds up in car accident which ruined what was left of his good knee.)

and now cancer.

yet through it all she has never become overtly depressed, bitter or sorrowful. i got a lot of respect for her.

thanx for your good info & wishes.

Back
Top Bottom