Loloz cavity fighting lollipop?

pacergal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I received a 25% off coupon with my Dental EOB today for this product. Cavibloc is listed as the active ingredient, an extract from a specific licorice root. Their website has some interesting information, wondering if the wise folks on the forum have ever used it??

Never heard of it. Sounds like fish oil to me but I'm willing to try anything. Might be delicious, might even work.

We had the grandkids over the Columbus Day holiday, and DW bought a bag, letting them have lollipops after breakfast and at night. So far, no cavities. The kids were thrilled but DD doesn't share their delight.

I'm skeptical and think we should reduce the amount of sweets we consume, not look for substitutes, especially for children.

no; we had plenty of fluoride in the water

Cavities or diabetes.... I think I can avoid cavities without all that extra sugar.

Everything in moderation. Many substances that replace or interfere with sugar's chemistry also impact gut microbiology, and that could be more harmful than, say, cavities.

My dentist has been pushing xylitol as a "replacement" for flouride based on marketing fluff she picked up at a trade show. I had a lengthy discussion with her about it saying that while xylitol can help reduce cavities from sugar in children, it does nothing to strengthen enamel like flouride. Unfortunately she goes through these phases of pushing some fad for more income. I like her as a dentist but don't take her product recommendations. This does mean I had to find a new source for the "prescription-strength" flouride paste my wife uses.

I'm skeptical and think we should reduce the amount of sweets we consume, not look for substitutes, especially for children.

no; we had plenty of fluoride in the water

Everything in moderation. Many substances that replace or interfere with sugar's chemistry also impact gut microbiology, and that could be more harmful than, say, cavities.

I'm skeptical too, and am not thrilled with replacing sugar with sugar substitutes.

However, this seems to fight cavities in a different way from fluoride, so maybe the two together are a good thing? I see that you are supposed to have 2/day for 10 days - then repeat that every 3 to 6 months.

-ERD50

An unexpected benefit of our seven years of low carb is good teeth. No cavities (but maybe older people have fewer cavities??). The dentist said "I don't know what you're doing but keep it up." I told him what we were doing. I didn't tell him that sometimes I only brush once per day.

Xylitol is often touted as being good for teeth, but I suspect the benefit is simply the reduction in sugar.

I find Erythritol to be even better than Xylitol, and have a lot of confidence in it. Its only drawbacks are that it's expensive and difficult to spell. It apparently doesn't get absorbed at all. Never any gas or bloating.

Not all "sugar alcohols" (technically "polyols") are good.

Sugar-Alcohol-Chart.png

Back
Top Bottom