Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Long Term Health Care
Old 03-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

This authoritative reference states that (as of 1994, so dated a bit but still broadly useful):

"The likelihood of being in a nursing home also rose with age, from less than 1 percent for those aged 65 to 69 to more than 43 percent of those aged 95 or older."

This excludes home care, etc. but the cost of these is considerably lower.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
OPM program
I always thought it was Other Peoples Money

Old 03-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The funding for the OPM LTC program is entirely on its participants. It is not, "other peoples' money". Sorry to disillusion you.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:41 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob
The premium just recently increased (after 8 years) and was less than a hundred a year.
Did they tell you why the premium increased? Your age? Total expenses related to the risk pool? Is there a cap which guarantees future increases will be modest like this one?

Quote:
My work buddy who waited is now paying quite a bit more because he never got around to it, but is definitely buying because as he says" I'm not gonna be stuck in some p*ss smelling place".
There are options other than LTC insurance or medicaid!
Old 03-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Grumpy,

I agree that protection in early years is the most important feature. More important than needing coverage for a few years when you're in your 80's or 90's.

Since you seem to be a happy customer, what features, protections, etc. did you choose? How did you pick the company to purchase from? How about all the other questions Rich and I asked above?

I definitely am not trying to say you were wrong to buy it. It's just that, for me, I'm concerned that the features, coverage and premiums I start with today won't be appropriate down the road or that the company will change the premiums or the features or the rules or even go belly-up.
Youbet,

The LTC policies my wife and I got are from CNA. We had a friend who is a financial planner and he researched and recommended three companies that we looked into. I am a cancer survivor and was concerned that I wouldn't get past the medical review. We got the polices at age 50. The features are:

Elimination period: 30 days
Daily home care benefit: $50/day ( 5% annual escalation)
Daily Facility benefit: $100/day ( 5% annual escalation)
Maximum Lifetime benefit: unlimited

Premiums are: Me - $991/yr, Wife - $779/yr.

We will be coming up on the end of 10 years with the policies, so there is the possibility of a substantial premium increase. We will reevaluate whether we are to the point of being able to self insure when we see what the increase is.

I'm not too concerned about whether the company will be there 30 years from now. Do you worry about whether your car insurance company will be there in 30 years? LTC insurance is just like car insurance in some ways. If you don't have a claim, the premiums are $'s down the rat hole. If the company goes bust sometime in the future its only a concern if I am already receiving benefits at that point. It was my impression that state insurance commission regs protect those already receiving benefits from default - anybody know more about this?

Grumpy
Old 03-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy

The LTC policies my wife and I got are from CNA.

....We will be coming up on the end of 10 years with the policies, so there is the possibility of a substantial premium increase. We will reevaluate whether we are to the point of being able to self insure when we see what the increase is.
Like Grumpy, DW and I bought LTC policies from CNA. Our policies were purchased when we were a couple of years older and have less coverage (90 day waiting period, 3 years maximum coverage, etc.). The annual cost is $583 for each of us.

CNA stopped writing LTC coverage a few years ago and have initiated substantial premium increases on existing policies. And also like Grumpy, our policies have a 10 year guarantee of premium which will expire in May of 2009.

Grumpy has graciously agreed to act as my "mine canary" and give me advance warning of just how bad the hit is once his 10 years are up (I am a year or so behind him). Then I will consider whether I should pay up (don't think so), drop my policy and use the savings to help fund DW's coverage (maybe) or drop both policies and self-insure (likely).

Bottom line, LTC coverage is a crap shoot. But since any of us might wind up in diapers, maybe we should have the coverage. Guess you could say it Depends.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

grumpy, REWahoo,

Thanks very much for sharing that information! I'm really on the fence on this whole issue.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm not too concerned about whether the company will be there 30 years from now. Do you worry about whether your car insurance company will be there in 30 years? LTC insurance is just like car insurance in some ways. If you don't have a claim, the premiums are $'s down the rat hole. If the company goes bust sometime in the future its only a concern if I am already receiving benefits at that point. It was my impression that state insurance commission regs protect those already receiving benefits from default - anybody know more about this?

Grumpy
I don't worry too much about my home or car insurer because these are standard products everyone sells that I can switch on short notice and if I have a claim it is short duration. In contrast, life insurance and LTC are potential claims that would likely happen in many, many years and the insurer's fortunes may well change in the interim period. So I am pretty picky about who I buy long tailed products from. In the event of default, the state insurance fund would back up the insurers' assets, but the state funds vary widely and they have the backing of nobody (unlike the FDIC which is guaranteed by the US treasury). Buyer beware.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Did they tell you why the premium increased?

There are options other than LTC insurance or medicaid!
Youbet I called cause I wasn't sure. There are no caps but I can bail at anytime. The increase was for everyone my age that signed up when I did. People signing up now at my age then and now are paying more. If I die before 75 my estate can possibly get back some or all of my premiums.

Since I signed up I've bought a couple more rentals and could probably self insure but I've only got <$8K into it and if I'm hit by a bus tomorrow I'll break even in 45days. Another ten years down the road and it's doubled I've still got only $28K into it. Probably wouldn't make sense to drop it then either but if CalPERS was shaky then I can drop it. Way easier to stop it than to start it.

People forget that they are receiving the benefit NOW even tho the odds are low. My homeowners is about the same and I don't know ANYONE that has made any major claim on theirs but I personally know alot of people that have needed LTC.

If my $600K house burned to the ground I could put a $20K yurt up and rebuild 1100sf myself without putting much of a dent in my net worth.
You have to think of what would happen to your portfolio if you needed to pull out $60K+ a year starting tomorrow and have a spouse to support.

My dad lived with me for 8 years. Without me he would have been about 4 years short on funds. When he was on his last legs he went into a nursing home. He had his 100+ medicare days but from day one all the place cared about was finances. I knew he wasn't going to make the 100 days and told them so but the need to get the finances in order for the "what if" interferred with my last bit of time with him. Then after only a couple of weeks he had to return to the hospital and they "dumped" him even tho there was money to last a while. Refused to take him back. Luckily I found a caring person at the hospital who also realized he didn't have long and she got him into a better nursing home where he died in less than 24 hours. Do you want your spouse spending time with you or in the financial office?

Three of my dad's sisters have needed care for 4-8 years. Two were cared at home by their children. I don't have children but if I did I wouldn't want to put them in the position where THEY had to deal with my care when really the cost to me is not all that much.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:43 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This article from the November 2006 issue of the FPA Journal may have been posted earlier but I didn't see it.

The Financial Desirability of Long-Term Care Insurance Versus Self-Insurance

"Based on the figures from the 1999 NNHS and estimated probabilities of 65-year-olds needing nursing home care at some time in the future, our estimates indicate that buying long-term care insurance appears to be quite desirable for women and moderately so for men. The NPV of buying an LTC insurance policy is positive up to a relatively high return that one could earn from investing the premiums rather than using them for an LTC policy. In addition, because the LTC premiums are the same regardless of gender, and women have a higher probability of needing nursing home care, LTC insurance appears to be a much better choice for women than for men."

This is why I am considering dropping my coverage and keeping DW's LTC policy if our premiums go up as much as I fear they will when our guarantee of premium expires.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:37 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

According to my own browsing the current average cost of stay is $160k to $250k.
I am too young to think about that but the risks of paying into something that will not be needed because the rules change, or the provider goes under or I won't get sick is very high.
How well are you out of a stay like that? I am guessing you might need less money to live after. Few would need extravagant entertainment or otherwise expenses so paying $250K out of an ERed networth might not be that bad. Specially if you made the point of self funding it in your budget. A reduction of $250k is a reduction of $10k income.

That's is the rich point of view. Now if you have no assets (ie not FIREd) that's another story, you might need this insurance or ? declare bankrupcy or what would happen if you need care and can't afford it?

I didn't read this document yet:
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/54xx/doc5...ngTermCare.pdf
Old 03-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova
According to my own browsing the current average cost of stay is $160k to $250k.
I am too young to think about that but the risks of paying into something that will not be needed because the rules change, or the provider goes under or I won't get sick is very high.
How well are you out of a stay like that? I am guessing you might need less money to live after. Few would need extravagant entertainment or otherwise expenses so paying $250K out of an ERed networth might not be that bad. Specially if you made the point of self funding it in your budget. A reduction of $250k is a reduction of $10k income.
My mother, an elderly widow, had the very finest of LTC policies with a good insurance company (was it BCBS? I don't recall). When she moved into the skilled nursing section of her continual care facility a few years ago in her mid-90's, the insurance company refused to pay a dime. She was mentally still very competent (and still is), so she called and talked to everyone but to no avail. My nephew, who is a high powered NYC attorney finally called and engaged them in extensive phone/mail battles, and funny thing, NOW they are finally paying the part of her expenses that were promised. They could/would bully her, but not him. I dread to think would have happened if she had been battling this alone, or if she had been mentally vague.

So, I am not thrilled with LTC policies. Instead, I have a small Roth that I plan to allow to grow for a few decades. It will be dedicated to any additional uncovered expenses in my declining years.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:58 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!

"Based on the figures from the 1999 NNHS and estimated probabilities of 65-year-olds needing nursing home care at some time in the future, our estimates indicate that buying long-term care insurance appears to be quite desirable for women and moderately so for men. The NPV of buying an LTC insurance policy is positive up to a relatively high return that one could earn from investing the premiums rather than using them for an LTC policy. In addition, because the LTC premiums are the same regardless of gender, and women have a higher probability of needing nursing home care, LTC insurance appears to be a much better choice for women than for men."

This is why I am considering dropping my coverage and keeping DW's LTC policy if our premiums go up as much as I fear they will when our guarantee of premium expires.

I wonder what the effect of one spouse (usually the wife) outliving the husband by a good 5-7 years is, these being the years that nursing home care is most likely. The whole estate is then available for nursing care.

This whole issue is almost too complex and speculative for any logical decision. I guess you just do your due diligence, go with your gut and hope for the best. We've decided to revisit it at age 65 when we have a little better sense of our finances, health, and situation. Higher premiums and insurability risk, to be sure, but at least we'll be leaving less wasted premiums on the table all those years.

Who knows. Best of all would be able to self-insure by then.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:08 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire
My mother, an elderly widow, had the very finest of LTC policies with a good insurance company (was it BCBS? I don't recall). When she moved into the skilled nursing section of her continual care facility a few years ago in her mid-90's, the insurance company refused to pay a dime. She was mentally still very competent (and still is), so she called and talked to everyone but to no avail. My nephew, who is a high powered NYC attorney finally called and engaged them in extensive phone/mail battles, and funny thing, NOW they are finally paying the part of her expenses that were promised. They could/would bully her, but not him. I dread to think would have happened if she had been battling this alone, or if she had been mentally vague.

So, I am not thrilled with LTC policies. Instead, I have a small Roth that I plan to allow to grow for a few decades. It will be dedicated to any additional uncovered expenses in my declining years.
Humm yes if you need an attorney to get your benefits thta definitelly a problem. Specially it is easy to get bullied in old age I saw that with my own relatives.
The Roth approach is a sensible one IMO.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:48 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire
My mother, an elderly widow, had the very finest of LTC policies with a good insurance company (was it BCBS? I don't recall). When she moved into the skilled nursing section of her continual care facility a few years ago in her mid-90's, the insurance company refused to pay a dime.
Want2,

I guess your mom's "continuing care" facility was not like the ones I'm familiar with. My parents and my wife's parents both went into CCC's where, after the big upfront payment and the monthly fee, ALL care was covered, up to and including skilled nursing. Only my dad had a LTC policy which we canceled the day they moved into the CCC because, at that point it was redundant. That was the big draw of a CCC, the costs were fixed, up front, no matter what level of care was required. That gave us all great peace of mind.

Grumpy
Old 03-03-2007, 10:00 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Probably wouldn't make sense to drop it then either but if CalPERS was shaky then I can drop it. Way easier to stop it than to start it.
It sounds like your CalPERS program eliminates the biggest problem I'm having with the whole issue: finding a company I feel very, very secure will be there financially in the future and will operate with absolute integrity (no loopholes in the rules, etc.)
Quote:

People forget that they are receiving the benefit NOW even tho the odds are low.
Agree. In fact, I am starting to look at LTC this way.......the value has to be there for this year when I pay this year's premium. That is, if I pay $5K for 2007, I must feel satisfied I'm getting $5K of value in 2007. Not, that I'm securing some future value such as lower premiums when I'm older, etc. That's how I buy home, auto and liability insurance and I think it should hold true for LTC insurance as well.
Quote:
You have to think of what would happen to your portfolio if you needed to pull out $60K+ a year starting tomorrow and have a spouse to support.
I have and we could afford to self-insure under the scenario you describe without impoverishing the other. A nursing home stay of many years coupled with years of poor market performance could get a little taxing. That's part of what's making my decision so tough
Quote:

Do you want your spouse spending time with you or in the financial office?
I'll disagree slightly on that premise. If I went to a nursing home because I was critically ill and having time together was an issue, that means we're talking about a few months or a couple years of nursing home care. DW would simply write a check. That would probably be less time spent in the finance office than with insurance where she'd have to understand the EOB's and make sure she was paying only her share. If I was going to be there for years, then she'd have plenty of time to work with the finance office........

Quote:
Three of my dad's sisters have needed care for 4-8 years. Two were cared at home by their children. I don't have children but if I did I wouldn't want to put them in the position where THEY had to deal with my care when really the cost to me is not all that much.
I wonder why your dad's sisters weren't placed in a nursing home? If they had money, they could pay. If they didn't, it would be a medicaid issue. Perhaps upon investigation, nursing homes that accepted medicaid were crappy? Or the kids were trying to preserve mom's estate for their inheritance? Or because the kids felt they could provide a better quality of life for their parents than a nursing home (under their specific circumstances) and did so irregardless of cost.

Well...... It's a tough decision filled with factors that were relatively easy to sort out with life, home, auto and liability insurance but difficult to sort out with LTC insurance.

Thanks very much for all the inputs. This is a very interesting discussion.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:23 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I have to admit I don't understand LTC too well.
I am thinking thta some LTC in nursing homes could be replaced by an extended stay at a child's home. That would renew family relationship. It doesn't have to be thought of a burden necessarily and you can "gift" soime money to your child(ren) at the same time with the money you would save.
Some LTC might actually involve medical equipment, constant nurse attention... But what the % of people really needing the heavy artillery? I would like to know.

DW's grandma spent many years in a nursing home but that was more like a place to live, someone to come clean once a week and a cafeteria for lunch. She moved to the assisted living area at some point where medical support was needed but thta was only a stay of less that 1 year I believe.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

There are apparently single premium life insurance policies that permit early benefit payout for nursing home care. I'll check that out if either of us is healthy enough; at least there is something for the estate when you die, and a couple hundred thousand should more than cover the average nursing home in today's dollars (less than 3 years). Probably doesn't cover home care, but it seems like a good safety net.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova
I have to admit I don't understand LTC too well.
I am thinking thta some LTC in nursing homes could be replaced by an extended stay at a child's home. That would renew family relationship. It doesn't have to be thought of a burden necessarily and you can "gift" soime money to your child(ren) at the same time with the money you would save.
Some LTC might actually involve medical equipment, constant nurse attention... But what the % of people really needing the heavy artillery? I would like to know.

DW's grandma spent many years in a nursing home but that was more like a place to live, someone to come clean once a week and a cafeteria for lunch. She moved to the assisted living area at some point where medical support was needed but thta was only a stay of less that 1 year I believe.
Perinova,

What you described, "more like a place to live ... she moved to assisted living..." sounds more like a "retirement home" than a nursing home and it is not what LTC insurance pays for. Most LTC policies only provide benefits when the insured person requires assistance with two or more of the "activities of daily living" such as dressing, bathing, toileting, eating, etc. Most of the time people who need that much help are not in assisted living but are in skilled nursing facilities. While some children may be capable of providing that level of care to an aging parent, I, for one, would not expect or want my children to assume that kind of burden for me. Therefore, we have LTC insurance.

Grumpy
Old 03-03-2007, 01:04 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Perinova,

What you described, "more like a place to live ... she moved to assisted living..." sounds more like a "retirement home" than a nursing home and it is not what LTC insurance pays for. Most LTC policies only provide benefits when the insured person requires assistance with two or more of the "activities of daily living" such as dressing, bathing, toileting, eating, etc. Most of the time people who need that much help are not in assisted living but are in skilled nursing facilities. While some children may be capable of providing that level of care to an aging parent, I, for one, would not expect or want my children to assume that kind of burden for me. Therefore, we have LTC insurance.

Grumpy
OK I didn't think right. Yes that was a retirement home (or assisted living, not sure about vacab. here) with a "graduation" to nursing home. I understand that LTC would have paid for the nursing home part (she didn't have it though).
It seems common to have graduated care sometimes 3-levels