Look at your 2017 Part D plan very carefully

mf15

Recycles dryer sheets
I don't like what I am seeing. 2017 plans are up on the medicare site, you cant change
them yet but you can look at them.

Many now have deductible, or if it is zero now have copay, last year
that was not the case in my area,at least for cheap generic drugs.
Also sometimes I just plug in drugs, well prednisone a very cheap generic
that many people have to take at one time or another, is now a tier 3
needing prior authorization on some plans,more than one.

They also have gone over more to standard cost sharing as opposed to
preferred pharmacy networks,at least it seems that way. Not sure if good
or bad.

Seems as though the insurance companies can do what ever they want,
and just about all are following the same paths.

As I keep looking I see the aarp walgreens plan does not charge a deductible for all drugs.
Which is basically what we have now. Have to keep looking.

Ok found two plans that meet our needs.
Just look carefully your plan may have changed, like mine did.

Old Mike

Last edited:
...........Seems as though the insurance companies can do what ever they want,and just about all are following the same paths.

Old Mike
Maybe the problem is the cost of the drugs themselves. If the insurance companies pay more for drugs, they need to squeeze you more or lose money.

Have you missed the series of reports like this?

Don't know your dosage but you can get 30 (10mg) prednisone tablets without insurance for $9.60 if that is less than co-pay

I went for a 3 mo. supply of insulin and Lipitor. My share of the Lipitor was over $400 and the Novolog was well over $600. The cash price for 8 little vials of insulin was $1770.

Got the doctor to rewrite the script to avorstatin, and it was dirt cheap.

Got the doctor to rewrite the insulin script to where Medicare Part B would pay 100% of it. Go figure.

I went for a 3 mo. supply of insulin and Lipitor. My share of the Lipitor was over $400 and the Novolog was well over $600. The cash price for 8 little vials of insulin was $1770.

Got the doctor to rewrite the insulin script to where Medicare Part B would pay 100% of it. Go figure.

It is well known that branded drugs are significantly more expensive than generic ones. Insist that your physician use generics whenever possible. (Plus a generic will also have been around long enough that the side effects that lead to all the drug law suits will have shown up long before the drug becomes generic i.e. if a drug is advertised on TV avoid it if possible).

The retail price for my Novolog and Levemir prescriptions (about $1k per month supply) is why I decided to go back and enroll in VA healthcare when I switched from a PPO to a HDHP plan at work. The time was suddenly well worth letting the VA cover my prescriptions... (used to be $60/3 months on the old plan that got premiums jacked up to be cost prohibitive).

If you join Sam's Club, they have cheap pricing for a bunch of drugs without insurance:

Prednisone 1 MG TAB
10 $4.00
Prednisone 10 MG TAB
30 $10.00
Prednisone 2.5 MG TAB
30 $10.00
Prednisone 20 MG TAB
30 $10.00
Prednisone 5 MG TAB
30 $10.00

If you join Sam's Club, they have cheap pricing for a bunch of drugs without insurance:

Prednisone 1 MG TAB
10 $4.00
Prednisone 10 MG TAB
30 $10.00
Prednisone 2.5 MG TAB
30 $10.00
Prednisone 20 MG TAB
30 $10.00
Prednisone 5 MG TAB
30 $10.00

The same prices are available at Walmart. If you go to the pharmacy section of either web site they will give a list of drugs on the $4 for 30 $10 for 90 day plan.

Prednisone 2.5 MG TAB
30 $10.00

Prednisone 5 MG TAB
30 $10.00

Walmart list:
Prednisone 2.5mg (30 tab) $4
Prednisone 5mg (30 tab) $4

Sam's Club Plus List:
Prednisone 2.5mg (30 tab) $10
Prednisone 5mg (30 tab) $10

Last edited:
If you consult with your state health insurance program counselor for your area, they will analyze your meds and dosages for the pharmacy you prefer, and tell you which prescription plan is cheapest.

Perhaps most helpful when you are managing enrollment for a loved one in assisted living and you prefer to use their designated pharmacy.

The counselor told us that many people make the mistake of assuming that if their meds are covered this year they will also be covered next year.

Sent from my iPhone

What did it take to have it covered under Part B?

Had the "talk" with my Doc today. I told him I would no longer be taking one of (his) prescribed pills because I could not afford it. It now would cost (me) $12 every day. He suggested an alternative which will cost maybe $.25/day. True, the cheap stuff doesn't offer as good a profile, but most likely will work just as well.

Recently had the same discussion with my other Doc about a $7/day pill. He just allowed me to stop taking it since he isn't seeing any significant positive effect.

Now, if either (or both) of these pills were in the "take it and live - don't take it and die" category, they would be a bargain. I understand the folks not wanting to pay $400 for epipens, but think what a bargain that really is. Hopefully you don't actually need it in any given year, so your child (or self) is protected against a life threatening reaction for the price of one night's stay in a resort hotel. Not cheap, but still a bargain considering the alternative.

True, the big increases in price have really driven folks nuts (me included as stated above.) Where there are alternatives, we will all have to play that game. BUT let's not lose sight of the life-saving capabilities of some drugs - which would make them cheap at twice the (current) price. Not defending the "evil" drug companies, just sayin'... YMMV

What did it take to have it covered under Part B?

I had to be on an insulin pump. And the doctor had to put the correct prescription numbers on the script that corresponded for insulin users on a pump.

Prior to my becoming 65, the doctor told me I might want to go the pump route, as private insurance will pay most of the $6800 pump. He said Medicare will pay for the supplies, but usually not the pump.

CVS went back and forth with the Medicare people answering questions before they'd approve the Novolog prescription under Part B. That included getting the serial number of my pump--and a bunch of other questions. They've got a pretty tight operation putting out approvals.

I had to be on an insulin pump. And the doctor had to put the correct prescription numbers on the script that corresponded for insulin users on a pump.

Prior to my becoming 65, the doctor told me I might want to go the pump route, as private insurance will pay most of the $6800 pump. He said Medicare will pay for the supplies, but usually not the pump.

CVS went back and forth with the Medicare people answering questions before they'd approve the Novolog prescription under Part B. That included getting the serial number of my pump--and a bunch of other questions. They've got a pretty tight operation putting out approvals.
Wow- complicated! But worth pushing through all the details, apparently.

Now I remember Part B covers drugs administered in doctor's offices (which includes things like chemotherapy).

Meanwhile, the pressure is building on the pharmaceutical industry:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/10/11/us/politics/ap-us-drug-costs-hospitals.html?utm_campaign=CHL%3A+Daily+Edition&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=35726495&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9zvwnH0AbDhr7Bxa9HIi9b0fa1J7XdJjoUO0x4ID536dCTfxNMp4zq8pGvpqGOb7SgRl5BvliDtb38U4JpNtaMbEtvUg&_hsmi=35726495&_r=0

Hospitals, too, are getting slammed by sharp price increases in prescription drugs, and the industry is urging the next president and Congress to take up the issue.

Consumer groups and insurers were already complaining loudly about drug costs. Now hospitals are turning up the volume as well, leaving the pharmaceutical industry more politically isolated.

A study released Tuesday by the two biggest hospital lobbying groups found that overall, hospitals' average annual inpatient drug spending increased by more than 23 percent between 2013 and 2015.

I am not on Medicare and know nothing about their prescription drug programs but it is possible to go outside the program and get good or better discounted prices.

I found an app called GoodRX that you can download to your smartphone or on a computer you can go to the website. You enter your zip code and the name of the drug prescribed and it will list the price of the drug and the pharmacies in your area. You print the discounted coupon or show the pharmacist the smart phone coupon.

A drug not covered by my insurance was 250.00 at Kroger and once I entered the drug into the app it directed me to Walmart for a $55.00 price. I actually held my breath until the cashier said they would take the coupon and give me a reduced price.

I passed this site to a friend whose husband's 90 day prescription had expired and they paid 220.00 for the 90 days in the past. They got the same 90 day prescription for 15.00 at a different pharmacy.

Last edited:
The retail price for my Novolog and Levemir prescriptions (about $1k per month supply) is why I decided to go back and enroll in VA healthcare when I switched from a PPO to a HDHP plan at work. The time was suddenly well worth letting the VA cover my prescriptions... (used to be $60/3 months on the old plan that got premiums jacked up to be cost prohibitive).

The patent on Novolog expired June 20th of this year. I have no idea how long it will take to get a generic approved.

I found an app called GoodRX that you can download to your smartphone or on a computer you can go to the website. You enter your zip code and the name of the drug prescribed and it will list the price of the drug and the pharmacies in your area. You print the discounted coupon or show the pharmacist the smart phone coupon.
I love this site/app. Especially if you want to get your prescriptions filled locally. The pricing comparisons are very helpful, and most of the time you can get the exact price on the coupon or within a few dollars of that price.

You generally don't need a new coupon each time you refill, if they have loaded the details into their system, the same way the load details of our insurance coverage in.

BUT, you will need a new coupon when (1) the doctor renews your prescription or (2) after the first of the year, when most pharmacies change pricing.

- Rita

My wife has spinal stenosis, arthritis and a number of different problems requiring prescriptions.

She was commenting yesterday how our Silver Scripts Part D really didn't pay much of anything on the vast majority of her prescriptions. The coverage is getting less and less every year.

I'll again be going to Medicare's website and feeding in all her meds to see which prescription plan is the least expensive in the short and long runs.

As part of the government's war on drugs, they're now requiring doctors' visits every month to physically pick up paper prescriptions on any controlled substances. And those doctors' visits are not billed at the same cost as someone with the sniffles. Medicare is billed just over $350 for the 5 minute office visit and another $100 for either a mental health evaluation or a drug test. We cannot go on long vacation because we have to spend a day driving out of state to a pain management clinic every month.

Yep, everyone needs to pay close attention to their Part D plan as they're not all created equal.

Back
Top Bottom