Medigap and Part D Questions

My mom had excess charges from an orthopedist who saw her in the hospital. She had been admitted from the ER and had no choice about which doctors treated her.

I recently called a physical therapist's office and was told they no longer accept Medicare unless you had been a patient there during the past 2 years.

I am starting to research Medigap plans since both of us will go on Medicare in 2024. We're looking at Plan G and Plan N, so this discussion is very helpful. Looking at the Plan N companies available in our area, most have this description:

"Premiums are low for younger buyers, but go up as you get older and can eventually become the most expensive."

But the UHC AARP plans (there are two and I cannot tell the difference), state the following:

"Premiums are the same no matter how old you are. Premiums may go up because of inflation and other factors."

Give me a reason to choose anything but one of these two plans. If I live to be 100, I don't want to pay lots of money for insurance I will not use. At age 100, I'm likely to decline most care except comfort care.

Those of you on Medicare, did this factor into your decision about a particular plan?

We have the AARP/UHC Plan N in Pennsylvania. While it’s a Community rated plan, they start out by giving you a discount for a number of years. I don’t recall how many, but they’ll give you a schedule. The two variations of Plan N in my area are because one includes some extra benefits like free gym membership, discounted dental and eye care. Our copays have ranged from $15-$20 with lower copays usually for nurse practitioners.
We’re very happy with our choice and just began our third year of Medicare. I was hospitalized in Florida last January under “observation“ for four days. So Medicare Part B paid for it. My only costs were the deductible, three $20 copays for doctor visits while in the hospital and the $50 ER copay. If I had been fully admitted, my Part A would have covered it all. No excess charges.

Last edited:
In Illinois AARP/UHC offers 2 different community rated Plan G policies. One meets the standard Medicare requirements of a Plan G, and the other includes the "extra" benefits of Renew active etc. The age discounts are different amounts and lengths between them.

EastWest Gal, see my post #46 above. living past the breakeven age was a big deciding factor for us. TBH, we didn't start out that way. we had a Plan F with BCBS. We quickly learned to follies of our ways and changed a year or 2 later (with underwriting of course) to all-inclusive AARP/UHC Plan G, as that is what was the only one available at the time. We are thinking of changing to the basic AARP/UHC plan as we haven't used any of the "extra" benefits in the past.

Back
Top Bottom