Low carb diets gain respect

Here's a report on the Cauliflower Rice.

Does it taste like rice? By itself, no, it tastes like cauliflower. But with butter and "salt" and juice from a slow-cooker meal, it's pretty close. It absorbs the juice and takes on its flavor.

I nuked it for 6.5 minutes -- next time I'll do 8. Also, I will add butter before nuking so it melts.

CauliRice.jpgPorkChopOnCauliRice.jpg

It looks too much like Uncle Ben's or Minute Rice. Rice is supposed to be sticky and hold together when you eat it with chopsticks. Sorry for whining so much. I guess I will give it a try with some crockpot ribs or pork chops.

Any of you low carbers use keto-stix? I use them from time to time, and usually I get readings of small to moderate (15-40 mg/dl). I have never been out of some degree of ketosis for the year when I have been testing, at least that I caught with testing. I also remember about 7 years ago when a doctor I saw asked me if I had any explanation for all the ketones in my pee. He said, usually when we see this the patient is not sitting here kind of normal looking. At that time I ws not testing at home.

Ha

Last edited:
Did Mrs. Donheff lose weight too?
She didn't go to the gym with me so I don't know. She is not a daily weigher - she will wait a while and they check several days in a row for an average. She is actually more interested in keeping her cholesterol down than weight, although she may change that tune as I morph into a hulk. ;)

Edit: actually, I have to avoid going to far toward my HS fighting weight since I was skinny as a rail - more like the guy you would kick sand at than a hulk.

Last edited:
Any of you low carbers use keto-stix? I use them from time to time, and usually I get readings of small to moderate (15-40 mg/dl). Ha

I have used them in the past. But I have read that the readings can vary a lot because the color reflects the ketones expelled by the body. If the metabolism requires all of the ketones to be used as fuel, the reading will be closer to the "tan" range and will only be closer to "purple" when there is an excess of ketones in the system. I also have been told that most doctors fear ketones in the urine because it is a sign of impending doom from a diabetic coma or some such ... :nonono:

I have used them in the past. But I have read that the readings can vary a lot because the color reflects the ketones expelled by the body. If the metabolism requires all of the ketones to be used as fuel, the reading will be closer to the "tan" range and will only be closer to "purple" when there is an excess of ketones in the system. I also have been told that most doctors fear ketones in the urine because it is a sign of impending doom from a diabetic coma or some such ... :nonono:
Ah, good info. Thanks.

Ha

Any of you low carbers use keto-stix?

I've used them, but decided they are fun, but don't really have much useful information.

BTW, you can save a lot of money if you cut each stick in thirds.

I've used them, but decided they are fun, but don't really have much useful information.

BTW, you can save a lot of money if you cut each stick in thirds.

Cutting them in thirds is okay as long as you remember to wash your hands.

Hey T-Al. I made your low carb brownies. Quite good. I didn't do the frosting but noticed at the bottom of the frosting recipe a reference to mixing Splenda and erythritol which wasn't in the recipe itself. Does that reference only apply to the frosting or do use Splenda in the brownies as well? I only used erythritol.

Low-Carb diet:confused: I thought it was the Low-Car diet. I spent 3 days in Albuquerque checking out low-riders for nothing:confused:

Hey T-Al. I made your low carb brownies. Quite good. I didn't do the frosting but noticed at the bottom of the frosting recipe a reference to mixing Splenda and erythritol which wasn't in the recipe itself. Does that reference only apply to the frosting or do use Splenda in the brownies as well? I only used erythritol.

Sorry for the confusion -- I usually put notes in at the bottom when I experiment. That note:

With 96 drops liq splenda: terrible
With .75 cup Erythritol + .5 cup powdered splenda:
Excellent

does, in fact, refer to the brownies themselves, and not the frosting. I just hadn't made the change in the recipe itself. So, yes, if I made them today, I would use a combination of erythritol and splenda (although I would use liquid splenda).

I often find that with erythritol alone, the item is not sweet enough, even if I use a lot. With Splenda alone, there can be an aftertaste. So, combinations of sweeteners are a good idea.

Splenda can be weird, and I think there is some adaptation to it such that someone who has never used it won't like it, but after a while they don't notice any problems.

At the danger of being attacked by grouchy people and being asked for "studies" to back up my "research" I just wanted to add that we are quite enjoying our go at this LCHF style of eating (new version of Atkins) and yesterday was the 5 week point and 15 lbs lost. Very pleased with that (we do realize a significant portion of that is only water loss).
The tiring adjustment period is long over and my running and biking are getting close to being back to normal, energy-wise, although I notice that I don't have the capability for "speed" (read: faster trot/spin) that I used to. I would assume that has something to do with reduced glycogen available to the muscles, blah blah, science-y sounding stuff....

The tiring adjustment period is long over and my running and biking are getting close to being back to normal, energy-wise, although I notice that I don't have the capability for "speed" (read: faster trot/spin) that I used to. I would assume that has something to do with reduced glycogen available to the muscles, blah blah, science-y sounding stuff....
If you want a dose of sciency stuff relevant to your biking you might like this guys blog. He is an MD friend of Gary Taubes and an avid biker. The entry I linked and a following post involves self tests on blood levels on a 100 mile ride among other activities. He is a fan of super starch protein/carb supplements that he uses during endurance events like the bike ride and also loads up on four eggs with cream and cheese a hour before the ride. I am skeptical about "patented" secret super starches for routine eating (I got educated earlier on these threads about Dreamfields pasta). But I am tempted to try one of their vanilla drinks on a long bike ride. You definitely don't want to be undernourished during endurance activities. If you are past the early stages of Atkins, you can probably mix in some additional "oompf" when you head out on the bike. Just track the impact on your scale to see if it is bad or good.

donheff, thanks. I am currently training for a half marathon and broke down and starting using "chews" which are similar to gels on my longer runs after a particularly nasty long run during week 2. Ran 18 km yesterday, taking in 2 chews (about 7.5 gr/carb) per hour and was feeling well enough afterward to spend two hours ripping carpet out of our flooded basement (long story). I had read here or somewhere else that during endurance training, it is necessary to take in carbs to "prime the pump" for the body to access and burn fat as fuel. That sounds a little dubious "sciencey" wise but I can attest that it certainly has some effect.
I rode a metric century bike ride (100km) last year and plan on doing a full century in May once the 1/2 marathon is over. I will of course still be LCHF, so will supplement with carb intake during it. If it's anything like the running, I hope it will be as "easy" as last years 100km.

If you want a dose of sciency stuff relevant to your biking you might like this guys blog. He is an MD friend of Gary Taubes and an avid biker. The entry I linked and a following post involves self tests on blood levels on a 100 mile ride among other activities. He is a fan of super starch protein/carb supplements that he uses during endurance events like the bike ride and also loads up on four eggs with cream and cheese a hour before the ride. I am skeptical about "patented" secret super starches for routine eating (I got educated earlier on these threads about Dreamfields pasta). But I am tempted to try one of their vanilla drinks on a long bike ride. You definitely don't want to be undernourished during endurance activities. If you are past the early stages of Atkins, you can probably mix in some additional "oompf" when you head out on the bike. Just track the impact on your scale to see if it is bad or good.

I know this is a rigorous and intelligent group, but I feel the need to comment on this "War on Insulin" stuff. Without the substance we would all be dead from starvation. It is not out of the box a poison. But we all knew that... :D

I notice that I don't have the capability for "speed" (read: faster trot/spin) that I used to.

Anecdotal, but FWIW...

I've been LCHF for about ten months now, and after the first two or three months I got past that problem as well. No need any more for supplemental carbs for high exertion levels, and I don't think my "speed" (such as it is for me) is any worse than it used to be.

I have found that a whey protein supplement after a long run is a great recovery aid after a long run.

Anecdotal, but FWIW...

I've been LCHF for about ten months now, and after the first two or three months I got past that problem as well. No need any more for supplemental carbs for high exertion levels, and I don't think my "speed" (such as it is for me) is any worse than it used to be.

I have found that a whey protein supplement after a long run is a great recovery aid after a long run.

Do you take it as an actual pill or in a smoothie/shake/drink ?

We will be mountain hiking next week. I will break my LCHF diet and eat high carb snacks with everyone else during rest stops. Maybe even an Oreo or two.

The kind that comes in those big two-pound canisters in the vitamin section of the supermarket. One scoop per eight ounces of water, shake very well (or put in a blender) and drink.
I get the chocolate flavor, not bad at all.

The one I buy is (per serving):
140 Calories
2 g fat
4 g carbohydrates
26 g protein
and a whole lotta other good stuff.

DW agrees with me that it really helps after a long run or hike.

We will be mountain hiking next week. I will break my LCHF diet and eat high carb snacks with everyone else during rest stops. Maybe even an Oreo or two.
That'll be an interesting experiment in feeling your digestive system adjust to the strange foods... how far is it to the mountain hiking bathrooms?

When we were backpack hiking we'd start the morning with a high-protein/fat/caffeine breakfast, and then on the trail we'd snack on protein bars (chocolate flavor). If we were starting to slow down in the last couple hours then we'd munch on a handful of dried fruit.

That'll be an interesting experiment in feeling your digestive system adjust to the strange foods... how far is it to the mountain hiking bathrooms?

Usually 25 to 50' off the trail, depending on the foliage.

When we were backpack hiking we'd start the morning with a high-protein/fat/caffeine breakfast, and then on the trail we'd snack on protein bars (chocolate flavor). If we were starting to slow down in the last couple hours then we'd munch on a handful of dried fruit.

No problem, I still have my requisite army aviation cast iron stomach and 6 hour bladder.

Back
Top Bottom