Low fat diet = Atkins diet?

And well said, after lunching for many years with 3 very overweight colleagues, I could see that they empowered each other to ignore their weight as a health issue. One routine that sticks out in my mind vividly is the daily game of "oh, I should have a second dish of ice cream..." and the "oh go ahead, it's only this once."

I think it is the freakonomics guy that found a link between the weight of friends of friends and your future weight, so great is the influence. For example, collegues of DW cook things for her and that stuff is brought home, and hoovered by yours truely upon sight

reminds me of a similar Antony Robbins idea, that you future income will approach the average income of those you association with.

I guess one more reason to skip the popcorn. It was banned in our household by DWs periodontist, who says the husks can get up into the gums and wreak havoc.

I then found a version of husk-less popcorn, which we enjoyed, but then it was placed on the "too tempting to have in the house list" - foods that we like too much, that override our capacity for self control, are not allowed in the house

We use that strategy too. I call it the "you can't eat it if you ain't got it" plan. It helps that there are no kids living at home and that the nearest grocery store is 13 miles away :D

You're right, REWahoo...diverticulitis. I need to get my diseases straight I see. Regardless, I'm not eating much popcorn anymore after hearing that story.

I did make the ultimate sacrifice and boxed up two jars of dry roasted cashews for my son to take to his apartment...sniff, sniff. And threw away the excess spinich-artichoke dip made with parmesan, pepper jack cheese, mayo, etc. (a fantastic Paula Deen recipe) that was the appetizer for Thanksgiving....I may cry now...sniff, sniff. All my favorite fatty foods are leaving one by one...goodbye old, faithful friends..............sob, sob, sob.... Guess I need to dump the chocolate ice cream, too, now....aaaaargh!

... I'm not eating much popcorn anymore after hearing that story.
I'd heard the same issues with nuts and popcorn, but here's what the Mayo Clinic site I referenced above has to say about it:
In the past, doctors thought that nuts, seeds, popcorn and corn played a role in causing diverticulitis by getting trapped in the diverticula. However, recent research has found that these foods weren't associated with an increased risk of diverticulitis.
I'm not giving them up - at least not yet.

We use that strategy too. I call it the "you can't eat it if you ain't got it" plan.

As Ben Franklin said: "A fat kitchen makes a lean will."

meat really binds me up.

Even Atkins recommends intake of fiber. Fiber is an important key to losing weight.

Have you tried eating a lot of raw veggies? (celery sticks, carrot sticks, salad with romaine lettuce, avocado, jicama, raw nuts)
You can also do cooked veggies like brussel sprouts and lima beans, but I do well with raw veggies myself.

I do well with eating tons of meat as long as I eat a lot of fibrous foods - mainly raw veggies and some fruit.

(I am in a lousy place right now though - I had several See's nut candies (dark chocolate but still) and a slice of pumpkin pie during the holidays...)

Atkins doesn't necessarily equal fatty foods, is my understanding. I saw Robert Atkin's wife on an interview one time (when her husband was still alive) and she said while R. Atkins ate red meat a lot, she preferred salmon with broccoli and such.

Even Atkins recommends intake of fiber. Fiber is an important key to losing weight.

Have you tried eating a lot of raw veggies? (celery sticks, carrot sticks, salad with romaine lettuce, avocado, jicama, raw nuts)
You can also do cooked veggies like brussel sprouts and lima beans, but I do well with raw veggies myself.

I do well with eating tons of meat as long as I eat a lot of fibrous foods - mainly raw veggies and some fruit.

(I am in a lousy place right now though - I had several See's nut candies (dark chocolate but still) and a slice of pumpkin pie during the holidays...)

I seem to recall John D MacDonald's Travis McGee promoting the meat and veggie diet, no alchohol, this going back to the 50s.

You could also raise the ratio of protein to fat by selecting leaner meats like a hot beef sandwich vs a hamburger, or a ham/proscuitto sandwhich vs balony.

One of my favorite treats is to take a can of chickpeas, open, rinse, put in bowl.

In separate bowl, add half cup or so of olive oil, the most virgin according to your palette. Shake in some garlic powder, lets say 5 times, fresh garlic if you are up to it. Add maybe a couple of teaspoons of salt, and a teaspoon of pepper. Then add white wine vineager a tablespoon at a time, tasting, and stopping when you get a nice tangy smack in the head from it. Mix this up good and pour on the chickpeas. Stir. Eat. I find this to be better than potato chips...great fibre bomb....ease yourself into it or there will be trouble.

Back
Top Bottom