Low fat diet = Atkins diet?

I'll check into the South Beach diet, friar1610. Heard about it on tv, but, unfortunately, this area I am in now is loaded with overweight people (big German types and big Swedes/Norwegians who came here a couple generations ago for all the manufacturing plants in the Midwest), so know noone who has done it where I'm at now.

As for smoking, my Grandfather (the professional gambler Greek one) smoked 3 packs of unfiltered cigarettes from 13 y.o. on daily. He died at 82. But I hate smoking, so that is one addiction less for me.

If I hadn't insisted on getting the Complete Blood Count at the Medical Clinic I wouldn't even know about anything wrong. Not very wrong, but I want perfect scores so "diet here I come!"

Opposite of many people, the getting up and moving for me is the easiest and most enjoyable part. The shrinking the stomach...not so much.

While I am a fan of Dr. Rob's diet, I also think calories count. What I find about his diet is, it is easier for me to reduce my portion sizes on his diet. I use to eat two eggs, four to 6 pieces of bacon, toast, and coffee for breakfast. I now eat one egg two strips of bacon, and no toast. Lunch was a sandwich and chips. Now no chips and a wrap. I eat just about what ever I want for dinner, but I watch the carbs, and no seconds. We also walk between two and three miles a day. So I would say I am a DR. Rob/portion control type of guy. Hopefully knowing what different foods are doing will allow me to control the weight gain.

It will be interesting to see what today does to me. Thanksgiving dinner is a real carb feast!!!

You'll still have your girlish figure tomorrow, Rustic23, I'll bet...ha! But you have really cut down your portions, because, as I remember it, you are a big guy and one egg and no toast is really cutting out alot of food. I'm amazed you can survive the a.m. on so little, so you have really shrunk that stomach I guess.

The last time I lost weight I counted calories, carbs and how many calories I burned with each exercise like an anorexic does. It works...kinda overkill, but it works.

I HATE the shrinking the stomach part where you exercise and feel starved cause you aren't suppose to eat but X calories. That is the hardest part of any diet for me. Oh well....I can do it...complaining all the time, but I can do it.

I'm not an expert and I'm not advocating any specific method for anyone else but I do have some experience with the Atkins approach. Last year I decided to try it and for 90 days I did everything I could to avoid carbs. No bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, ketchup or anything else with significant carbohydrate content. The most difficult part was ordering at restaurants. I tried to limit the size of my portions and meals but I didn't attempt to limit the number of meals I enjoyed. I usually ate about six times a day. Really, it seemed like all I had time for was meal preparation and clean up. Cook, eat, cleanup wait about an hour and start again. That's the way it went. I consumed lots of calories. I made no attempt to count them. I ate as much as I wanted and I was never hungry. I did develop some powerful cravings for some of my favorite carbs but when I did I'd just eat a hunk of meat or cheese and start smiling again. During this period I also exercised 40 minutes a day six days a week. Exercise for its own sake was something I had always avoided.

At the end of that three month experiment I weighed 35 pounds less. I felt great and my friends all said "you look great" followed by the whispered question... "You're not sick are you?"

My OPINION is that it isn't a good idea to eat like that always.

Really great information on this thread. I am currently part of a research study that is testing Red yeast rice as a supplement to lower cholesterol. The study will run for a year during which time I will be taking supplements and having my labs monitored. I was placed in the cohort that is going through the Lifestyles change program that teaches about diet and exercise. The diet that is being recommended and that I will be following is a Modified Mediterranean diet. It is much like that posted by Kroeran:
"mediterannean, "natural" unprocessed foods out of the field, out of the sea (not so much the inauthentic American Italian focus on pasta)"

I was already working out, and have learned that I have to step up my game a bit to improve further and had already started to make some of the dietary modifications that is being recommended in the study. I am getting good information as to why I should be doing these things.

I agree that information is king, unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation out there, too much of it with the Government's stamp of approval on it. Weaving though it all is daunting.
The researchers are recommending the web site Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople and using the tools and resources there to assist with formulating a diet and exercise regimen that works for you.

I also use this one from about.com that is a lot less cluttered than Sparks

Calorie Counter Database - Free Online Diet Program

I read Dr. Weil for diet and overall health issues.

Andrew Weil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe he is the best voice out there for finding a balance between traditional medicine and alternatives, and on issues such as vaccinations or organic food....advice like, never eat a non-organic strawberry, which are pesticide spunges

his book "healthy aging" is particularly good

I have great success on the Atkins diet. It works for my body chemistry. I have heard that it works better for men than women tho.

Diets don't work. There have been oodles of diets (and a lot of wealthy diet book authors) and yet we're more obese than ever. Why?

• South Beach is a good balance, Fit for Life is another (a complete plan that includes exercise).
  • Plan to stay on this plan for life. If you don't plan to change your habits, you might as well not start.
I agree. Went up to 20 lbs overweight in 2002. Got disgusted and did South Beach. The book emphasizes that this is a permanent change in your way of life. I lost the 20 lbs and it is crept as much as 13 lbs back, but then I go a little harder core on the eating and it drops again. I've never been back up to what I once was. It is an easy diet in that you don't have to count calories -- just use moderation and common sense.

thumbs up to NOT dieting, but rather looking for permanent changes you can live with.

good information allows you to get the best bang for the buck when you need to dial up the discipline a notch or two and not get discouraged.

I still think people need to study all the different approaches...some personalities will enjoy the calorie accounting approach, others will find simple rules work for them.

just for fun, check out this article on bacon...

"Ever see that old Woody Allen movie Sleeper? The one where he goes to sleep in 1973 and wakes up 200 years later, only to discover that decadent foods (fudge, cream pies) turned out to be healthful? Well, here comes Jennifer McLagan, author of a book simply called Fat, telling us that 45 percent of the fat in bacon is monounsaturated, the good-for-you fat that can help lower bad cholesterol levels. Better still, bacon's monounsaturated fat turns out to be oleic acid, the same fat found in olive oil. So that means that some could argue that bacon is about half as good for you as olive oil and about 100 times more delicious. Of course, moderation is key here, and you should seek out artisanal varieties without preservatives. One of the best things about bacon is that a little goes a long way. Not convinced? Fry up just one slice along with the aromatics for a pot of soup, or chop it up and use it as a garnish for fish or sauteed greens. For more ideas, check out our Everything's Better with Bacon slideshow."

10 Surprising Health Foods: Slideshows : bonappetit.com

"It is no measure of good health to be well-adjusted to a sick society." --Jiddu Krishnamurti

I did the low carb thing and Atkins once. Lost alot of weight super-fast. Problem: Can't stay on it for life, and, for some reason, meat really binds me up. Each person is different as it didn't do that to my friends.

My diet: Moderation. Don´t eat out of boredom. No snacking. I tend to eat frugally and no fat/sugar on the meal I am less hungry, which in my case is supper. Of course smoking and having dentures that wobble when chewing hard help a lot:LOL:

I did the low carb thing and Atkins once. Lost alot of weight super-fast. Problem: Can't stay on it for life, and, for some reason, meat really binds me up. Each person is different as it didn't do that to my friends.

for myself, I think it is more important to learn the lesson of Atkins, and incorporate that into your lifestyle.

my view is that the lesson of Atkins is not so much about eating meat, but is more about avoiding sugar/carbs, the fast-digesting foods that convert quickly, spike your insulin and leave you starving in a couple of hours.

regardless, the more dense (fibre deficient) the diet, the more important to help things with psyllium.

Problem: Can't stay on it for life, and, for some reason, meat really binds me up. Each person is different as it didn't do that to my friends.

Me too!!! I tried eating more meat about 3-4 weeks ago, after reading Good Calories, Bad Calories and thought I'd give this more meat thing a try. I only ate more meat and saturated fat for probably 3-4 days before I had to quit. I went back to eating my normal amount of meat and lots of veggies and fruit again.

Then, last week, I was in the hospital for 2.5 days with my second bout of pancreatitis. I have no idea if my little meat experiment started it or not, but, no more extra meat or saturated fat for me.

Meat costs more, but you save on toilet paper.

Me too!!! I tried eating more meat about 3-4 weeks ago, after reading Good Calories, Bad Calories and thought I'd give this more meat thing a try. I only ate more meat and saturated fat for probably 3-4 days before I had to quit. I went back to eating my normal amount of meat and lots of veggies and fruit again.

Then, last week, I was in the hospital for 2.5 days with my second bout of pancreatitis. I have no idea if my little meat experiment started it or not, but, no more extra meat or saturated fat for me.

I think this illustrates the problem of jumping into a specific diet rather than making gradual permanent changes

for example, lets say you would normally have a bagel with light cream cheese and jam, lets say with a coke for lunch, which would be a huge carb bomb, first spiking your blood sugar, then your insulin, then the insulin will overshoot and you will crash to low blood sugar a couple of hours later, and be very hungry.

for starters, regular cream cheese would have more fat, and slow down digestion. Then, bagels are very glycemic, so switch to a coarser bread, maybe a rye or grain bread, if you can handle it (I don't know offhand which breads are actually better...would have to look that up). Then maybe have a ham sandwich instead of cream cheese one day, and instead of jam you are really lathering on the mustard, which actually pretty good for you.

Instead of the coke, see if you can tolerate a club soda, or if at home, start cutting your soft drinks with 50% club soda, to slowing acclimitize your taste buds. If you are drinking milk, don't feel guilty about using 3% or even putting cream on cereal.

If you feel a craving for a comfort food, go for the burger rather than the spagetti, and when eating pasta, go for whole grain al dente (undercooked as much as you can tolerate, the way real italians cook it), which is no adjustment whatsoever, and tone down the pasta, turn up the volume of sauce, cut in some italian sausage, and maybe keep pasta down to once per week, if it is a weakness, or switch to veal parmesan, if it is the tomato/cheese thing you are after.

one aspect of losing weight is....which food choice will postpone hunger for as long as possible, and if bacon and cream is your thing, go for it. If those are not attractive, go for healthier proteins such as keeping colds cuts in the fridge for snacks.

Of course, if you are eating because of compusion or boredom, and not out of actual hunger, that calls for a different approach, which might rather be making yourself busier somehow or having the courage to pursue an new interest that you have been shy about.

I think part of the thing is reading and figuring out what the low hanging fruit is in your diet that is sabotaging you, and saying to yourself, well, I don't really enjoy that particular food anyway, and I would be really happy to be able to eat this other food that I mistakenly thought was fattening.

One idea I play around with is deciding for example that you want to lose 4 pounds in one month, or one pound a week, 1/7th of a pound per day. Then you put this line on a crude chart on the fridge or an excel chart that takes you from current weight to new weight over 30 days. You have a morning weigh in, and mark the spot on the chart. If you are above the line, you basically don't eat that day. Fasting never killed anyone. After fasting a day, you will be very motivated to make every thing you put in your mouth count, to hold off hunger the next day, and to stay below the line.

- alchohol is loaded with calories, use with caution. Cocktail hour for me usually is a half ounce of vodka in a martini glass of dark cherry juice, the latter which helps lower uric acid levels. (I didn't like my uric reading last blood test)
- I often end the evening with a very rustic seedy granola and top it off with psyillium husks and ground flax, with goat milk.

oh yeah, fatness is contagious...all your overweight friends and relative will unconsciously undermine you - that goes for all things...pick your friend carefully, for that is your future

Just had to laugh. The imagine of the martini followed by goat milk made me envision a slightly tipsy person trying to milk an irate goat. I can see how that might burn a few extra calories.

And well said, after lunching for many years with 3 very overweight colleagues, I could see that they empowered each other to ignore their weight as a health issue. One routine that sticks out in my mind vividly is the daily game of "oh, I should have a second dish of ice cream..." and the "oh go ahead, it's only this once."

So peer pressure or lack thereof is definitely a factor.

We eat only fish for protien (skip even the poultry) and find there is enough variety of types and cooking methods to keep it interesting. And broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes, spinach and lots of berries.

So, no particular diet, just healthy choices.

Pancreatitis, from what I gathered from a friend who said she almost died from it, is caused by things like nuts or popcorn (she was a popcorn addict) which end up in little pockets of your intestine. She really had it badly, and didn't sound like meat did it to her. Maybe someone more in the know is on this forum?

I guess one more reason to skip the popcorn. It was banned in our household by DWs periodontist, who says the husks can get up into the gums and wreak havoc.

I then found a version of husk-less popcorn, which we enjoyed, but then it was placed on the "too tempting to have in the house list" - foods that we like too much, that override our capacity for self control, are not allowed in the house

Back
Top Bottom