Male - Lump in breast

dlhanson

Recycles dryer sheets
I had the opportunity to learn more about breast cancer during the last two weeks. It is not certain that I have it but it is a possibility.

I found a lump under my left nipple about 9 months ago because it was slightly painful as I was working out. I dismissed it as "not a problem since I am not a woman" and I didn't even tell DW. I even forgot all about it.

But this changed two weeks ago when the lump started to hurt. First thing that I noticed was that it was bigger - well over an inch across now (probably 1-1/2 inches).

I visited a doctor yesterday. He told that men do get breast cancer - which I had already found out on the Internet. He told me that he didn't like the looks of it because of the size and because it felt like it was attached to my chest wall. He ordered blood tests and is sending me to a surgeon. The doctor told me that the surgeon would probably remove the lump and then it will be tested.

I turned in my resignation last October and it is effective May 9. Thankfully, I have retirement medical from Megacorp retirement to use after I leave my current job (teaching computer science at a Christian university).

I am thankful that God loves me and He is good.

Dlhanson, the very best of luck to you, and prayers too.

Glad you are treating this with some urgency. Male breast cancer is not as rare as some people realize. It is often associated with the BRCA genes which may have implications for offspring.

We'll all hope it's just a cyst or other benign lump. Keep us posted and best wishes.

Some of us truly know how you must be feeling right now. We're thinking of you, and praying it is nothing serious. Please, if you can, tell us how you are doing.

Hanson, I hope that you will be OK.

Your faith will help.

Ha

Yes, best of luck to you. I know a guy at my club who had it about 5 years ago. He is in his late 70's and is doing fine. Most guys might be embarrassed to say they have had breast cancer, but not him. He has even appeared on local tv talk shows during cancer awareness drives.

I admit, after my brother died of cancer, I watch myself pretty close. Not breast cancer. He had a sarcoma tumor come up on his back.

Update

This week, I went to a surgeon who examined me. He thinks it is gynecomastia (enlargement of the male breast). I had mammograms (4 on each breast) and an ultrasound on the breast with the lump. This was interesting waiting with all the ladies.

The radiologist said there was nothing suspicious - that it looked like gynecomastia to her.

Now, I am hoping that the surgeon will decide to leave the lump alone.:flowers:

This week, I went to a surgeon who examined me. He thinks it is gynecomastia (enlargement of the male breast). I had mammograms (4 on each breast) and an ultrasound on the breast with the lump. This was interesting waiting with all the ladies.

The radiologist said there was nothing suspicious - that it looked like gynecomastia to her.

I'm know how relieved your must be. I've had two lumps removed and both turned out to be OK. My mother is a breast cancer survivor so I really understand how worrisome this must have been for you.

Now you know what the ladies go through with those mammograms.

Congrats, dl. Looks like you found an interesting way to meet women. :cool:

He's a pro.......;)

The only bonus for having a broken ankle was the cute radiologists that I dealt with in imaging. When they asked how I broke my ankle, and I told them, they became instant fans......:cool:

He's a pro.......;)

The only bonus for having a broken ankle was the cute radiologists that I dealt with in imaging. When they asked how I broke my ankle, and I told them, they became instant fans......:cool:

OK, FinanceDude, I'll bite. How did you break that ankle?

This is great news!
Now it's time you bought a mansierre....
If you don't know what that is, ask Seinfeld.....:LOL:

:clap::clap:So glad to hear you'll be OK! Gyneco-whatsy isn't dangerous, is it?

A while back, I had a large, suspicious growth in one breast, that was examined in every way known to modern medicine, other than removing it (it was in a difficult spot, close to nerves). (It has since gone away as mysteriously as it appeared).

Anyway, my husband, as anxious as I was, absent-mindedly followed me into the mammogram waiting area, where he joined me in my little curtained booth. He was chased out by a nurse :police:who said that other ladies in the area had heard a :blush::eek:MAN :blush::eek:talking.

Amethyst

Here are some drugs that can cause that:

Finasteride, Spironolactone, Ketoconazole, Metronidazole, Cimetidine, Ranitidine, Omprazole, captopril, enalapril, Amiodarone, diltiazem, nifedipine, digitoxin.

Any hits?

:flowers:

Any ladies worth comparing with?:cool: Glad you got a good news.

Finasteride, Spironolactone, Ketoconazole, Metronidazole, Cimetidine, Ranitidine, Omprazole, captopril, enalapril, Amiodarone, diltiazem, nifedipine, digitoxin.

Any hits?

Can you say that ten times really fast?

Good news Hanson, I bet you are one relieved guy.

Ha

Any hits?

No, I take nothing not even aspirin. I do use supplements (CoQ10, alpha lipoic acid, green tea extract, turmeric, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, Vitamin D, and a few others). I have had a long held aversion to medicines and to doctors. This incident has warmed my heart to doctors but not medicines. I already like my family doctor - I knew him previously - his family sits across the aisle from my family, and my 26 year old son and his 23 year old son are best friends. He gently has led me along through this experience and I am very thankful for him.

BTW, while I had to wait with the ladies in the waiting room - they took me into the mammogram room by the back way. They told it was so I wouldn't be seen but I think it was to keep me out of the ladies undressing room.

Last edited:
How do mammograms work for men, or women with small breasts? IOW, if there isn't enough to be squished in the tortilla press, what then?

How do mammograms work for men, or women with small breasts? IOW, if there isn't enough to be squished in the tortilla press, what then?

Ve haf our vays.

Actually an important problem is with women with very large breasts where the tissue blocks good visualization of suspicious areas.

Back
Top Bottom