Martinis

I don't consider vodka martinis real martinis either. I use Bellringer gin because it's cheap, nearly 100 proof, and gin flavored. Some well gins are godawful, but tanqueray, beefeater, Bombay sapphire, and boodles are all marginally better for martinis than Bellringer for when I splurge. I like em dirty and wih plenty of dry vermouth (several tbsp). I also let a small ice cube dissolve to chill it properly and ease the proof down for full flavor and aroma (ice cold and too much alcohol kill flavor and scent).

Hendricks gin is exquisite for G&T's. I use boutique tonic, Fever Tree usually, and sliced cucumbers for garnish. If I'm out of Hendricks, I'll use cheap tonic and the usual squeeze of lime.

Martini is my cocktail of choice. Usually vodka martini, dry vermouth -(but not much of it), and a little dirty (olive brine/juice added). I usually do an olive/onion mix - having a sandwich of olive/onion/olive on the swizzle stick. I was told years ago that the onion/olive has to add to an odd number for luck. I'm not superstitious... but it makes for a nice ritual in making the drink.

I have ONE martini... more than that I get too tipsy.
2 a night. All vodka or gin. No vermouth please

Four or five Marts a week.

Drink them "bone dry":NO vermouth within 50 feet; just SF "Shaken Forever" and poured in a chilled glass. Two olives on a stick.
8 ounces of my favorite gin or vodka in a shaker pours out 2. Maybe 5 days a week. That would be 10 a week for me. Not bragging....just saying.

Hendricks gin is exquisite for G&T's. I use boutique tonic, Fever Tree usually, and sliced cucumbers for garnish. If I'm out of Hendricks, I'll use cheap tonic and the usual squeeze of lime.

My favorite g & t combo too. I also like it with G'Vine, fever tree and a little round slice off off an orange skin. Learned that one from an Argentinian bartender in Salamanca, Spain. Very unique flavor combo.

Attachments

• DSCN0139.jpg
    DSCN0139.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I don't believe I've ever had a martini. What type of martini should I try?
Well, classic or traditional martinis are described in this thread, you can see if they appeal to you. They are fashionable now, so many restaurants feature mixed drinks called flavored martinis, which are really something else. The one thing they all have in common is a high "alcohol to total liquid" ratio.

For our summertime drinking pleasure we prefer vodka, lime juice, tonic, and maybe some muddled mint. Also bitter lemon. When our Latin friends visit, it is scotch, ice, a little bit of water.

When I'm out for dinner I have an extra dry vodka martini up with an olive. Don't really care which vodka they use as it all tastes the same to me. At home I drink bourbon.

his description of the "perfect" martini.

Glacial ice,
I've never had a martini, so I'm clueless here, but this provoked a memory. I had a friend who went on an Antarctic cruise, and one of the highlights was sending passengers out in a Zodiac with a glass of Scotch and an icepick. They got next to an iceberg, chipped off a bit of ice into their glass and had the ultimate Scotch on the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom