ELI5 opt out of Vanguard promtional

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I get a mailto link but I do not use any of the programs the link opens thus I cannot unsubscribe. . . or so I think.

So I go to my account (employer 401k if it matters) and there is nothing in "communication preferences" that says they may send me mail so nothing I can "opt out of".

I will call them tomorrow but as the last 2 calls I made were utterly useless (different topics) I don't expect much.

They have had the account only a few months and been far more trouble than the old account which I had 30 years. . . but I can't control who my employer picked either. I will definitely never voluntarily give them money!

I’m not quite understanding your post. What is ELI5? It sounds like you’re getting email from your 401k plan sponsor. That’s pretty normal. Mine is with Lincoln Financial and I regularly get mail from them. None of it interests me so I just delete it. It’s all stuff to promote their services. I don’t even open it as I know from the subject line that it’s just an ad.

ELI5 is reddit speak for "explain like I am 5" and no it is clearly marked promotional mail from Vanguard. Has nothing to do with my plan or my actual account. They are trying to get me to put more money there. I have never had any marketing drivel from anyone connected with my 401k and don't want it.

But instead of a normal unsub link I can click I have this mailto. I use web mail so I don't see how to make the "mail to" work. It opens a "mail" window which is like wth is this? I am not using whatever it thinks it wants to see.

A mailto link opens your default mail program. An interesting problem for you. It will be interesting to hear if anyone on a customer service line will have an answer.

It's really a tech problem, so maybe use their online system to send a query to tech department.

You can right-click on the link and copy it. Paste that into Notepad. You should see the email address as part of the link. Copy just that and send an email from your webmail.

I called them. They don't know. They never know. LOL. It is just a joke talking to anyone. I pointed out the anti spam laws and that SOMEONE there in IT knows but they were like not my problem.

A mailto link opens your default mail program. An interesting problem for you. It will be interesting to hear if anyone on a customer service line will have an answer.

It's really a tech problem, so maybe use their online system to send a query to tech department.

You can right-click on the link and copy it. Paste that into Notepad. You should see the email address as part of the link. Copy just that and send an email from your webmail.

I will try this one in a little bit (got a painter here so need to d/c). They claim they cannot talk to IT and that I cannot either. . .

thanks

I will try this one in a little bit (got a painter here so need to d/c). They claim they cannot talk to IT and that I cannot either. . .

thanks
I just checked, and couldn't find a way to send a message. Maybe they dropped that feature?

You used to be able to send a message after picking a topic.

I would look at the email address of marketing, and block that subdomain. You do have to be careful doing that.

Target2019, I opened the link in notepad and attempted to email it but it was undeliverable.

I find it completely unbelievable they don't provide an easier way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom