Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yay! Finally a topic where I can be somewhat of an authority! Summer2007, I am in school for massage therapy and will be graduating next month. Massage is indicated and very beneficial for scoliosis and chronic back pain...even for bulging discs.
Massage will help to loosen up the fascia (connective tissue) and provide you with relief that will last up to two weeks. The most affordable way to get this therapy is via a Massage Envy in your area. If you don't have one, find a good massage therapist (local school clinics are a good start) and buy packages rather than per session. Make sure that the therapist is an Integrated Massage therapist who is also certified in the state....National Certification is a plus which means they had to pass a rigorous test at the end of their schooling.
PM me if you have any questions/concerns

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Massages can be expensive after a while. If you have trigger points in your mid-back, you may want to purchase something along the lines of the following:

Amazon.com: TheraCane: Health & Personal Care

Amazon.com: Pressure Pointer: Health & Personal Care

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ohhh, I just have to get a massage. I need to add this category to my budget spreadsheet.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:56 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've had a lot of PT and therapeutic massage over the years due to upper body RSI issues. Very beneficial!
Post FIRE, a lot of my RSI issues have disappeared or diminished. The deep muscle "knots" in my upper back are gone.
So nice to be back in the zero to mild discomfort range vs. the chronic pain category. I do a lot of stretching and practice constant posture control, all learned from those past sessions.
If things get past the mild discomfort zone, I head straight for my chiropractor, who knows how to do deep tissue massage and minimizes doing the standard adjustment techniques on me.
I choose him because my insurance will cover it. I used to go maybe once or twice a year for up to 5 consecutive sessions. It's been over 2 years since I needed his services.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
Massages can be expensive after a while. If you have trigger points in your mid-back, you may want to purchase something along the lines of the following:

Amazon.com: TheraCane: Health & Personal Care

Amazon.com: Pressure Pointer: Health & Personal Care
You don't even have to go that hi-tech.

A lacrosse ball, or perhaps a tennis ball, can work wonders.
(You lie on top of it and roll it around to where it hits the right
spots).
Old 08-14-2009, 05:51 AM   #26

Definitely check out the Massage Envy clinics in your area....they provide affordable massages that address your needs (not the foo foo spa massage) and help out the recent graduates from school by employing them. It is definitely a clinic for chronic/soft tissue/health & wellness regime.
The TheraCane is awesome, I have one that I use in between my own massage sessions.....but nothing beats having someone do that for you and get a full body massage at the same time!
Old 08-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Definitely check out the Massage Envy clinics in your area....they provide affordable massages that address your needs (not the foo foo spa massage) and help out the recent graduates from school by employing them. It is definitely a clinic for chronic/soft tissue/health & wellness regime.
The TheraCane is awesome, I have one that I use in between my own massage sessions.....but nothing beats having someone do that for you and get a full body massage at the same time!
I've used the Massage Envy clinics these last few years and have been very impressed by their value for money. I make a note of the particular therapist(s) that I like best and ask for them by person when I book.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:03 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I've used the Massage Envy clinics these last few years and have been very impressed by their value for money. I make a note of the particular therapist(s) that I like best and ask for them by person when I book.
That is so good to hear Alan...we basically have the first year of the nursing program as our curriculum for massage therapy and we really have to know the material because we are always going to be using it.
As for the cost, some health insurance companies cover massage therapy for chronic conditions....I am looking into working with Cigna and Aetna as an in-network provider. You can also use the HSA to pay for the monthly membership fee as well for Massage Envy.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
That is so good to hear Alan...we basically have the first year of the nursing program as our curriculum for massage therapy and we really have to know the material because we are always going to be using it.
As for the cost, some health insurance companies cover massage therapy for chronic conditions....I am looking into working with Cigna and Aetna as an in-network provider. You can also use the HSA to pay for the monthly membership fee as well for Massage Envy.
I use FSA money to pay for the massages. I had lower back surgery some years ago which qualifies me for this option.