Massage therapy

summer2007

Recycles dryer sheets
I have scoliosis and my mid back aches a lot. I tried chiropractic and no offense to any one who likes it but it just was not worth it for me.

I had thought of trying massage therapy but I'm a little hesitant.

The deep tissue massage sounded like it might be beneficial but I really don't know.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with massage therapy and if they thought it was worth it or not?

Jim

As I have posted elsewhere on this forum, I had major back surgery at age 18. I have chronic pain due to deterioration over the years since then. I make use of many treatment options including acupuncture, medication and massage.

With regard to massage, I find it very helpful. I go for a massage every two weeks. I would go every week if I could afford it. The going rate around here for a one hour massage varies from $55 to $90. My massage therapist is able to relieve the pain at specific points where my muscles are tight and the general relaxation also reduces pain levels.

You may have to try several massage therapists to find the one whose techniques suit you the best. Don't hesitate to give the therapist directions as to whether more or less pressure is needed. Good luck.

Do you know what is causing the pain? I have a bulging disk... I don't think massage can help with that at all...

Texas makes a good point - first, find out what's causing the pain.

I have moderate scoliosis (my father had it, as well). Chronic muscular ache is part of the deal - one's frame is, after all, slightly out of true, and there is no cure for that. Unlike a car, I can't go on a frame-stretching machine and be brought back to true! I go to a massage therapist occasionally; it helps for a while and is really just a treat. For spot treatment, I lean on the sore spots with a hard rubber ball.

Weight control is imperative, since I'm already putting extra stress on one side of my body. Even the 7 pounds I gained last year were making my feet ache, which stopped after I lost the weight. People with normal frames wouldn't even notice 7 extra pounds! People think weight control is about how we look, but it's really about not overstressing the machinery you were born with.

A good desk chair with adjustable arms and solid lumbar support has helped me greatly; most office chairs are crap - ever seen somebody leaning back in his chair so he's almost parallel with the floor? A good chair wouldn't allow him to do that.

Hope my perspective helps you.

Summer:
Have you tried physical therapy? I, too, have scoliosis and have found PT every 2-3 years gets to the deep muscle pain. The exercises may help to strengthen muscles so that your other muscles aren't doing all the work.

-- Rita

Anyone have experience with Rolfing? I remember many people in the 70s thought very highly of it, but I have not heard much lately.

Ha

My sister had Rolfing done years ago. she was highly athletic, and said that it worked, "the pain wasn't bad until he hit the calves."

ta,
mew

I go for an hour massage every other week (have for the past year) for $32 plus $5 tip. One of the benefits of small town living. It doesn't hurt we have a local massage school which saturates the market with therapists. I have learned a lot about my body through the feedback my therapist gives. For example, many of the aches and pains which I attribute to my back are actually muscle related when I was thinking spine or disc.

My wife is a massage therapist (and nurse) so I get frequent massages. I think massage is almost always beneficial, however deep-tissue massage is not for everyone. I'd try to find someone who has experience doing massage for people with your condition.

Massage

While in Thailand I did the Thai massage every day, best massage's I have ever had. Can not find them locally but they knew more about the body than my doctor. Also the reflexology was enough to put me to sleep while they did it. Although I may have had a couple of Singha's first. Highly recommend this for anyone.

i had to laugh, comming south on 231 out of alabama it seems like an area hit especially hard by the down tuned economy. but there were many spa's and message places. ha ha

Anyone have experience with Rolfing? I remember many people in the 70s thought very highly of it, but I have not heard much lately.

Ha

I had a series of 10 rolfing massages done. It was the best therapy that I have ever had. I didn't realise how tight my entire body was, however the worst for me was the mouth and the nose as that brought a tear to my eye.

However, that said, you need to have a therapist that you click with. I had a great one in San Diego, but the one I went to here in Silicon Valley was too out there for me - wanted me to visualise far too much for my liking, far too new-agey, she considered herself intuitive rather than following a sequence.

Things rolfing improved for me was lower back pain, menopause symptoms and resolved my sleeping issues.

I, too, have scoliosis. It´s gotten to a point that I can´t lie down on my back, let alone lean my head on the floor. And standing up I´m starting to look like the hunchback or Notre Dame:D

Thanks everyone

Amethyst

I'm thin and I'm sure I don't have a bulging disc. I think being thin might be one of the risk factors for having it in the first place. That is what my HMO doctor said. He said it's common with taller thinner people...maybe he is right or maybe he is wrong. But I do notice that most shorter guys seem to have a lot stronger backs than me!

Rita

I have never tried physical therapy. I still do a good bit of physical work outside and always have since my teens. I don;t know if that helps or hurts ?

On Rolfing I have heard of it and even looked into it but I just could not find many people who did it. That turned me off to it right away to think that there is a a large population of people where I live but there was only one guy that did this therapy according to the rolfing website.

So Rolfing might be great but I could barely find someone that practiced it where I live.

I also remember reading reports that some people found it really painful.

Jim

Thanks everyone

I have never tried physical therapy. I still do a good bit of physical work outside and always have since my teens. I don;t know if that helps or hurts ?

Jim

Jim: Physical Therapy can help strengthen muscles, &/or teach you how to move so you don't re-injure them. It combines several modes,including massage, to help heal the sore muscle.

Being physical can be good. Or bad: think professional athletes. Most 'rehab' work an athlete does includes physical therapy.

I'm not a physical therapist. I like massage for aches and pains, but the massage therapist can't diagnose the underlying mechanical cause of the pain and use/teach techniques to reduce the pain.

If your health plan covers PT, consider asking your doctor for a referral, and a recommendation to a PT provider.

-- Rita

As I have posted elsewhere on this forum, I had major back surgery at age 18. I have chronic pain due to deterioration over the years since then. I make use of many treatment options including acupuncture, medication and massage.

With regard to massage, I find it very helpful. I go for a massage every two weeks. I would go every week if I could afford it. The going rate around here for a one hour massage varies from $55 to $90. My massage therapist is able to relieve the pain at specific points where my muscles are tight and the general relaxation also reduces pain levels.

You may have to try several massage therapists to find the one whose techniques suit you the best. Don't hesitate to give the therapist directions as to whether more or less pressure is needed. Good luck.

I had a compressed fracture in one of the discs in my back as a result of an automobile accident at the age of four (I am now 41). The area of the injury is weak and so I developed mild curviture of the spine. I experience severe back pain only under specific circumstances - bending repeatedly to garden or lifting. If I don't do any of this, I experience zero pain. I find that going easy on your back is the best therapy. When I do get pain, I ask my husband to massage the muscles up and down on each side of my spine and massage the large muscles in my neck. This is free and always works.

Thanks Rita

You know what when my HMO doctor first diagnosed me a long time ago with scoliosis that is what he said. He told me if it starts bothering you come in and get some physical therapy.

I have not gone in because I'm young and I didn't want to have that on my record! But I might check it out if I can just pay privately.

Jim

I was reading an article in the NYT about ankle sprains. There was a discussion about why we tend to resprain them and how to strengthen them. It discussed that repetitive sprains may do more nerve damage than ligament damage. The nerve damage impairs your balance which leads to more sprains. One of the beginning therapies is to stand on one leg for a minute. I've had lots of ankle sprains since I was a little kid so I figured it was an easy thing to try.

The results have been great. Although my ankles feel stronger and more stable, the biggest improvement has been with my lower back (area of the SI joint). In the last week I have flown back and forth to Seattle. This would usually generate a visit to the chiro but not this time. Overall, the results are very positive and better than what I expected. YMMV

Yay! Finally a topic where I can be somewhat of an authority! Summer2007, I am in school for massage therapy and will be graduating next month. Massage is indicated and very beneficial for scoliosis and chronic back pain...even for bulging discs.
Massage will help to loosen up the fascia (connective tissue) and provide you with relief that will last up to two weeks. The most affordable way to get this therapy is via a Massage Envy in your area. If you don't have one, find a good massage therapist (local school clinics are a good start) and buy packages rather than per session. Make sure that the therapist is an Integrated Massage therapist who is also certified in the state....National Certification is a plus which means they had to pass a rigorous test at the end of their schooling.
PM me if you have any questions/concerns :)

Ohhh, I just have to get a massage. I need to add this category to my budget spreadsheet.

I've had a lot of PT and therapeutic massage over the years due to upper body RSI issues. Very beneficial! :D
Post FIRE, a lot of my RSI issues have disappeared or diminished. The deep muscle "knots" in my upper back are gone. :clap:
So nice to be back in the zero to mild discomfort range vs. the chronic pain category. I do a lot of stretching and practice constant posture control, all learned from those past sessions.
If things get past the mild discomfort zone, I head straight for my chiropractor, who knows how to do deep tissue massage and minimizes doing the standard adjustment techniques on me.
I choose him because my insurance will cover it. I used to go maybe once or twice a year for up to 5 consecutive sessions. It's been over 2 years since I needed his services.

Back
Top Bottom