Means-testing for Medicare part of GOP Debt Limit Plan

jon-nyc

Full time employment: Posting here.
Not my intent to veer into the political here, just want to make people aware of this. Apparently the House Debt Ceiling Plan contains 'Means Testing for Medicare' as one of its provisions, at least as of yesterday it did - of course this situation is in flux. Again, my intention isn't to start an argument about it just to make people aware. To my knowledge this is the first time this idea has been seriously advanced by a major party.

See this roundup from National Review:

Revealed: The House GOP's Debt-Ceiling Plan | National Review Online

Just want to reiterate - this was an outline of a draft of a plan. Who knows if it'll be in their final version or how it would be addressed in the Senate or by the President,.

Nevertheless if it's on their radar, early retirees or aspiring retirees should have it on their radar too.

Last edited:
Medicare part B is already means tested what I suspect this means is to move the lower limits on which the higher premiums start down. (Part D is also means tested as well) So its just moving the limit down. Today at 214k for a single you pay 335 a month. the premiums start increasing at 85k agi. I suspect that may move down to 50k where you would pay 146 a month.

Might as well wait until October 17th before analyzing this. There clearly will not be time or opportunity for citizen influence on the debt ceiling kabuki.

Means tested means income or assets?

How is Medicare Parts B and D done?

Means tested means income or assets?

How is Medicare Parts B and D done?

Currently if your income is above a certain amount, you pay a higher premium cost. There are several different levels of premium cost.

Back
Top Bottom