Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are Heart Rate Monitoring Apps Really Accurate? We Put Them To The Test

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #42

Summary from above link

Quote:
The Verdict
These heart rate monitors are indeed accurate. Getting the correct reading might take a few attempts but the reading isn’t wrong or that far off the mark. That’s not to say they will be replacing your GP but for anyone exercising, or wanting to monitor their vitals without purchasing an add-on for their phone, these apps are pretty useful.

A note about accuracy: GP’s normally instruct adding or subtracting ten from the reading of a digital device depending on the trend (if your reading is normally higher than average, add ten, if it is less than average, minus ten). The number ten represents the acceptable range of deviation and was used to determine accuracy.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #43

Thought I'd update this with something that happened last night.

I've had the Omron HEM-712C for some years and do check my BP quite regularly. Around 10pm at home last night I felt a little dizzy so I checked my BP which was normal but my HR was high for me. (80's instead of 50's).

It did have a heart symbol on the display that I didn't recognize and past history from the log showed this was the first time it had appeared. I have the little booklet handy and the symbol means irregular heartbeat - go see a doctor.

An hour later I went to bed hoping to sleep it off and maybe make an appointment in the morning (I checked BP at 11 and still irregular heartbeat symbol). I couldn't sleep so I got up and checked BP again at 12 and BP was now elevated (150/100) and HR at 90. I decided to go to a local 24 ER clinic close by where it was clear to the Doc that I have atrial fibrillation. By 2:30am all blood work, and chest X-Rays are okay, the monitor still shows the problem there but I feel just fine, no dizziness, can walk around just fine etc. So the Doc discharges after an aspirin and injection of Lovenox in case of blood clots plus instructions to see a my regular doc today who she is sure will refer me onto a cardiologist. (Appointment booked, see him in 2 hrs)

Point of the post is to let the OP (Walt) know that checking BP as recommended by his Doc is a worthwhile thing because this morning my BP and HR are just fine (have taken them twice) so without that feedback last night I would simply have slept it off and not known I had this condition. 1 in a 100 of folks over age 50 apparently develop this and I do have a friend, same age as me (60), who has had the problem for a few years, although with him it is more typical and his heart races at 200bpm and he has spent many hours in an ER getting it regulated. (In the ER clinic my HR never got out of the 90's, and was in the 70's when I checked out)
Old 03-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #44
Administrator

Alan, how frightening! Do go to your appointment because it is so important to have your doctor check out anything related to the heart, IMO.

Maybe there is some treatment to prevent it from happening again.

PS, thanks for the reminder to check my BP with my Omron device too. Might as well use it since I have it right here. This morning mine is 109/73, with a heart rate of 75 so that sounds OK to me. My BP has been so much better ever since my doctor put me on a beta blocker a few years ago.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:10 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

We will be waiting for your update about your appointment with all good thoughts, Alan.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:12 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We will be waiting for your update about your appointment with all good thoughts, Alan.
+1

Thanks for sharing this info - I have several friends with a-fib and all seem to be doing fine. Hope the same is true for you.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
+1

Thanks for sharing this info - I have several friends with a-fib and all seem to be doing fine. Hope the same is true for you.
My ex had it when he was just 28 years old, but he was drinking massive quantities of coffee every day at the time due to working crazy hours. His doctor told him to stop drinking coffee, he did, and the atrial fibrillation went away (for him). But it is a pretty scary condition and not always due to something that simple.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:08 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Alan, I have had A Fib for about fifteen years now. The important thing to know when you are first diagnosed is, in and of itself, it is not life-threatening. (I speak from experience about how frightening be told your heart is defective in some fashion.) The complications from it, however, are. The biggy is the threat of a stroke which can be lessened (if not eliminated) by medicine -- blood thinners and beta-blockers to regulate the heart rate.

I am one of the (very) rare people who are asymptomatic -- have no physical symptoms. Most people, on the other hand, suffer from shortness of breath, dizziness, chest pains, etc. so it not something you want to put off treatment.

There is a ton of information online but listen to your doctor (well, the cardiologist) and you will (IMHO) be fine. I am guessing, since it was temporary, that he/she will suggest a cardioversion (where they shoot electricity through your chest) and that may well cure it... or put off the inevitable.

Here is a place to start: Atrial Fibrillation: MedlinePlus
Old 03-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Glad you are being treated and are going to be OK.

But now you've scared me. About a year ago, I was going through a stressful period and felt like my heart was beating irregularly. The Dr. put me in a Holter harness (a portable EKG - electrodes all over my chest) for 24 hours and later did an echocardiogram. All was OK.

So I haven't worried about my heart since then, but last night I pulled out the Omron and took my BP four times in a row just because I happened to think of it. Each time the BP was different, but normal. However, my resting HR was always in the 80's. I wasn't going to worry about it, since I felt OK, but now I am worrying!

Amethyst
Old 03-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Thought I'd update this with something that happened last night.

I've had the Omron HEM-712C for some years and do check my BP quite regularly. Around 10pm at home last night I felt a little dizzy so I checked my BP which was normal but my HR was high for me. (80's instead of 50's).

It did have a heart symbol on the display that I didn't recognize and past history from the log showed this was the first time it had appeared. I have the little booklet handy and the symbol means irregular heartbeat - go see a doctor.

An hour later I went to bed hoping to sleep it off and maybe make an appointment in the morning (I checked BP at 11 and still irregular heartbeat symbol). I couldn't sleep so I got up and checked BP again at 12 and BP was now elevated (150/100) and HR at 90. I decided to go to a local 24 ER clinic close by where it was clear to the Doc that I have atrial fibrillation. By 2:30am all blood work, and chest X-Rays are okay, the monitor still shows the problem there but I feel just fine, no dizziness, can walk around just fine etc. So the Doc discharges after an aspirin and injection of Lovenox in case of blood clots plus instructions to see a my regular doc today who she is sure will refer me onto a cardiologist. (Appointment booked, see him in 2 hrs)

Point of the post is to let the OP (Walt) know that checking BP as recommended by his Doc is a worthwhile thing because this morning my BP and HR are just fine (have taken them twice) so without that feedback last night I would simply have slept it off and not known I had this condition. 1 in a 100 of folks over age 50 apparently develop this and I do have a friend, same age as me (60), who has had the problem for a few years, although with him it is more typical and his heart races at 200bpm and he has spent many hours in an ER getting it regulated. (In the ER clinic my HR never got out of the 90's, and was in the 70's when I checked out)
WOW!!!

First of all, we also have the HEM-712C, and I check my blood pressure now and then. Enough to know how I am trending.

If either of us is feeling a little off - a little dizzy, or weak or whatever - we always check our BP first. If it is normal, we then don't worry about it unless it persists. [This is particularly helpful for DH who can obsess a little if he is not feeling well - for example if he ate something that didn't agree, but he finds a normal BP very reassuring.]

I had no idea about that symbol, and that the Omron device could detect irregular heart beat. WOW! This is so good to know!

You story just reinforces our instinct to check our BP when we don't feel well.

Thanks so much for sharing your story and the details!!

Hope your visit goes well.

Audrey
Old 03-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Glad you are being treated and are going to be OK.

But now you've scared me. About a year ago, I was going through a stressful period and felt like my heart was beating irregularly. The Dr. put me in a Holter harness (a portable EKG - electrodes all over my chest) for 24 hours and later did an echocardiogram. All was OK.

So I haven't worried about my heart since then, but last night I pulled out the Omron and took my BP four times in a row just because I happened to think of it. Each time the BP was different, but normal. However, my resting HR was always in the 80's. I wasn't going to worry about it, since I felt OK, but now I am worrying!

Amethyst
I find unless I sit quietly with the cuff on for 5 mins, my readings can be quite variable. If I sit quietly for 5 mins they are quite repeatable. FWIW.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
However, my resting HR was always in the 80's. I wasn't going to worry about it, since I felt OK, but now I am worrying!
A normal resting heart rate for adults ranges from 60 to 100 beats a minute.

Here is a Google search
Old 03-16-2015, 12:26 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

DH has a "pre-beat" - the rare skipped or sort of "double" beat. It's actually just off rhythm. He can really feel it when it happens. Cutting out caffeine has eliminated the problem for him. It's been over 5 years.

When he was wearing a 24 hour heart monitor, he couldn't get it to happen until he did some extreme aerobics and then managed to get just one event, which he felt and noted. This at least confirmed the condition.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:27 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
A normal resting heart rate for adults ranges from 60 to 100 beats a minute.

Here is a Google search
Unless you are a tall man, in which case 50s and even 40s may be normal.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #55

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes and good advice. I really appreciate having this circle of internet pals.

Before seeing the doc today at 11:20 I had checked my BP twice. Normal, and no irregular heartbeat symbol.

The doc did an ekg which was normal and I have now got an appointment with a cardiologist for the 25th, although have been told that if it repeats before then to take myself to an ER.

Like you Ron, there were no symptoms apart from a little dizziness and the reason I noticed was, because of a wonky shoulder I have, I was doing some physio exercises on it while standing in front of the TV watching The White Queen. By the time I'd driven 5 miles to the ER and was checking in I was no longer light headed and was starting to feel like a fraud.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... there were no symptoms apart from a little dizziness and the reason I noticed was, because of a wonky shoulder I have, I was doing some physio exercises on it while standing in front of the TV watching The White Queen. By the time I'd driven 5 miles to the ER and was checking in I was no longer light headed and was starting to feel like a fraud.
When your heart is concerned, it's perfectly acceptable to feel a bit fraudulent. Glad to see you didn't pass this off as something insignificant and are getting it checked out.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Like you Ron, there were no symptoms apart from a little dizziness and the reason I noticed was, because of a wonky shoulder I have, I was doing some physio exercises on it while standing in front of the TV watching The White Queen. By the time I'd driven 5 miles to the ER and was checking in I was no longer light headed and was starting to feel like a fraud.
Dizziness is a symptom of A. Fib. (if the heart beats too rapidly, it becomes inefficient as a pump, and blood supply to the brain becomes an issue.) I (non-medical opinion) would doubt the two are related in your case.

The usual anecdotal symptoms of heart failure don't apply to A. Fib. -- the left arm pain, etc. A. Fib. is an electrical problem rather than a organic breakdown issue.

And don't be fooled. In the beginning stages, it is normal for it to come and go. That is the time to "fix" it. Once it becomes "permanent" it is with you for life. (Well some swear surgery can cure it but I am skeptical.)

Yes, I am downplaying it a bit so as to calm your nerves (I wished someone had done the same for me) but do know that it is a serious issue. In any event, REWahoo is correct. Imagine how embarrassed you would be at your funeral for not speaking up.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have no physical limitations because of it (although contact sports are frowned upon because of the blood thinners). For example, I can run a mile without a problem and I can lift weights as much as I want.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
When your heart is concerned, it's perfectly acceptable to feel a bit fraudulent. Glad to see you didn't pass this off as something insignificant and are getting it checked out.
Thanks. Once I had made the decision to wake my wife up and tell her, then there was no way I was not going to go to the ER. As I left I nonchalantly told her to go back to sleep and I'd update her in the morning. (she sent me a text 2 hours later asking what was going on so I guess I wasn't nonchalant enough)
Old 03-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks. Once I had made the decision to wake my wife up and tell her, then there was no way I was not going to go to the ER. As I left I nonchalantly told her to go back to sleep and I'd update her in the morning. (she sent me a text 2 hours later asking what was going on so I guess I wasn't nonchalant enough)
You do know that you should not have driven yourself if you suspected a heart problem, don't you? Oh, the embarrassment of waking up in the hospital... Best case scenario that is.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Dizziness is a symptom of A. Fib. (if the heart beats too rapidly, it becomes inefficient as a pump, and blood supply to the brain becomes an issue.) I (non-medical opinion) would doubt the two are related in your case.

The usual anecdotal symptoms of heart failure don't apply to A. Fib. -- the left arm pain, etc. A. Fib. is an electrical problem rather than a organic breakdown issue.

And don't be fooled. In the beginning stages, it is normal for it to come and go. That is the time to "fix" it. Once it becomes "permanent" it is with you for life. (Well some swear surgery can cure it but I am skeptical.)

Yes, I am downplaying it a bit so as to calm your nerves (I wished someone had done the same for me) but do know that it is a serious issue. In any event, REWahoo is correct. Imagine how embarrassed you would be at your funeral for not speaking up.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have no physical limitations because of it (although contact sports are frowned upon because of the blood thinners). For example, I can run a mile without a problem and I can lift weights as much as I want.
More good feedback - thanks Ron.

I didn't ask the doc today about exercise and he didn't mention it so I plan on continuing a reduced regime for the next 9 days until I see the cardio chappy. We had ridden 11 miles that morning on our bikes but I didn't feel any after effects at all. Both the ER doc and my GP talked about the risks of clots and probable medication that I would be prescribed but neither gave me a prescription just yet. (I had the injection and was given an aspirin)

I think I'll take an aspirin a day until my appointment - can't hurt.