Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think this all started around the time the hot flashes pretty much stopped and I guess I was "done" with menopause. I think I had hot flashes for about 2 years but they never bothered me. I always found them quite amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I tried on one of the bras in Target the other day made by the same Sarah Blakely lady that designed Spanks, but called something else. Well made and has a cool microfiber back (front closure) that I really liked. $32, which is high for Target, but not for a good bra from a dept store.
Buckeye, I'm glad you are on the way to resolving the discomfort--my sis is starting to have early symptoms of menopause so I'll tell her to be on the lookout.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #22

Any possibility that the skin is infected? Except for the pain part, the symptoms are similar to a skin problem I had on my back for many months that waxed & waned in intensity. PCP said skin was dry and to try body butter which seemed to help for a while . Several months later itching got worse and eventually I went to a dermatologist. She said the skin was infected and that I needed to use an antibiotic ointment to get rid of the infection before we could start using the steroidal cream. Ended up w/ about a wk for the antibiotic ointment and several wks for the steroidal cream. It was my impression that using the steroidal cream before the
infection was treated would not have worked.

She talked about sensitivity to laundry soap, fabric softener, bath soap as being possible causes so I switched to TideFree, cut out the fabric softener, and started using Cetaphil for baths but I think she would admit those were just possibilities and the real cause was unknown. I would say it was a very long gradual journey to more normal status and I'm still doing the easy painless stuff mentioned here for fear things might get worse if I stopped.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
This may be TMI but I'm at my wits end and I need some ideas on how to resolve this issue.

I had what I believe to be an allergic reaction to some Spanx "shapeware" back in May. The tag stated something like "nylon, spandex and 2% other." Could the 2% have been latex and caused a reaction? I'm not known to be sensitive to latex. Or maybe it was from soap left from handwashing or .........

Basically, everything got real red and irritated "down there" and it felt a bit like I had a urinary tract infection (irritation, slight urgency, slight abdominal tenderness). I went to my primary care physician and my gynecologist and the issue is neither related to bacteria nor fungus.

I was on vacation for a week at the end of July and didn't do much sitting and didn't wear any shapewear or pantyhose. Things seemed to be improving so I decided to try wear the Spanx again which was a big mistake. The redness and the irritation came back with a vengeance and has not gone away.

I tried a couple rounds of prednisone which calms things down a bit and reduces the pain but even as a days' dose is wearing off, I can feel the irritation and stinging and pain return. I tried a prescription burn cream with silver and sulfur but that didn't seem to have a huge effect.

The pressure of sitting makes things worse (a big problem since I have basically a desk job) and urination exacerabates the irritation and pain. I think I'm going to have to have my doctor write me an order for a stand-up desk at work. The best time of day is when I wake up in the morning because the tissue had not irritated by the pressure of sitting or urination for 7-8 hours.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Both docs don't really have any ideas at this point and I don't think they can appreciate how painful this is and how crazy it is making me. Or could it be related to menopause and hormones? I have my hormone levels checked and everything was normal. I have no other health issues. Any ideas about what to do or maybe what kind of doctor to see?
Suggestion #1: toss the Spanx

Suggestion #2: see a dermatologist. They specialize in rashes and that sort of thing.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't know these Spanx, but when I walk down the street I like to see a little rolling and flow from the ladies. I'd say loose 'em, for medical and esthetic reasons.

Ha
Old 10-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I have contact dermatits, primarily on the fingers of my right hand. (I'm right-handed). I can identify several things which aggravate the dermatitis, tomato plants, freshly xeroxed or lasar-printed paper, but the biggest triggers is stress. When I'm chronically stressed, nothing seems to help (gloves or steriods creams). When I'm not stressed, the dermatitis just goes away.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #26

Yes, there is a fair amount of stress at my new job (8 months now). Boring and unimportant work but at least the evil boss moved on to another job as of Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I have contact dermatits, primarily on the fingers of my right hand. (I'm right-handed). I can identify several things which aggravate the dermatitis, tomato plants, freshly xeroxed or lasar-printed paper, but the biggest triggers is stress. When I'm chronically stressed, nothing seems to help (gloves or steriods creams). When I'm not stressed, the dermatitis just goes away.