Meditation

I've meditated daily for about 7 years and it is the best thing I've every done for both physical and mental health. It can be simply a relaxation technique, or it can have a deep spiritual dimension. My sleep and many other aspects of life improved noticeably, though it is not necessarily a quick fix. As others have explained well, it's more about observing your mind than attempting to clear or control it. A familiar metaphor would be that it is like letting muddy water sit, so the dirt can sink to the bottom. A wonderful introductory book is Mindfulness in Plain English.

Thanks want2retire, WM and headingout.

Want2retire

That is another reason I like to minimize my exposure to the "news". Aside from it being almost always upsetting I end up thinking about these awful stories or the bias reporting job they did on them!

This does not help if you are trying to sleep!

Jim

I have tried various meditation and relaxation techniques in the past and, like WM, found them very beneficial when I would practice them daily. Maybe I will consider implementing a strategy similar to Walt34's to find the solitude for this practice again. Until then, I will continue with my current program of exercise, wine, beer, and whiskey (depending on my level of stress).

In all seriousness, I did find a site (Free Learn to Meditate, online meditation - Meditation Australia.) several years ago which offers classes (text is free, pay for audio downloads) in various meditation techniques so you can try different things and see what works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom