milk of amnesia

ronin

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just had my first dose of propofol this a.m. for a colonoscopy and I must say it worked like a champ. Came out with a clear head almost instantly. Still can't moonwalk though.

Glad you "enjoyed" it! ;).

BTW, it was probably the Versed that provided most of the side benefits. It gives a raher pleasant high, along with partial or total amnesia (depending on dose) of the events that occur in the prior several minutes or more.

The propofol basically just knocks you out, which is OK, too.

I had my colonoscopy a couple of weeks ago. I really don't like the amnesia effect of Versed. Apparently I had a discussion with the doc after the procedure but I don't remember a bit of it.

Coach

I had my first colonoscopy last year, and I remember the G.I. nurse waking me up to talk to the doc. I was rather irritable as I was sleeping so blissfully. I have to go back in 7 years for another. My friend/chauffeur had taken a vacation day to accompany me, and she wanted to go out to eat afterwards. I begged off and insisted upon immediate transport home. Had terrible flatulence. Enough said.

I recently had it during surgery. I was out like a light and felt great when I awoke-- just like waking from a long and comfortable sleep. One of the first things I did was ask the anesthesiologist where I could get more of it. I could see how people get addicted.

Propofol has been one of the biggest changes in ED medicine during my career. It took years of battle but we were finally able to wrangle it away from the sole domain of only Anesthesiologists. It replaces the old versed/fentanyl + "brutane" cocktail we used in the past when performing various painfull procedures on patients.

DD

Good for you for getting screened. :clap:
I just had a screening colonoscopy done a few months ago. Good results, great peace of mind. :D
I have no idea what they gave me in the IV. I just told the doc and attending RN to "juice me right into la-la land", i.e. not awake at all.
dh2b tells me I was a bit frisky when I woke up :whistle: but other than that no side effects and came back to normal :rolleyes:
within 15 minutes (I think).

Back
Top Bottom