Mom just heard she has breast cancer

gindie

Full time employment: Posting here.
My 74-year-old Mom just got the results today. Will find out Monday what it type it is and what it will entail.

My question: Is 1 year considered "early detection" (she gets annual mammograms)?

Sorry, gindie, about your mom's bad news. Hopefully she'll be one of many for whom good, effective treatment is available. Still, it's pretty scarey and upsetting, I know.

Mammograms may be about the best we have in general use, but they are far from perfect. Not only do they miss some cancers, but they identify far to many benign lesions which leads to surgery, anxiety and occasional complications. MRI is more sensitive but unveils even more false positive wild goose chases.

Best wishes for your mom's recovery.

I'm so sorry this has happened to your mom.

I do not have the answer to your question, but I have found a wonderful website....breastcancer.org. I have been reading it for a few months now. There is a forum on this website with many subject lines and issues. I do not have breast cancer, but have had two friends diagnosed this year and I wanted to be more knowledgeable.

My best to you and mom.

I have no answer to your question but I wanted to let you know how sorry I am to hear about your mom.

hi gindie-
I don't post much but just love to tell the story of my MIL, who was diagnosed with BC at 97.
Yes, 97. She was in a nursing home, but was treated (lumpectomy and radiation) and went on to live 6 more years, without return of her cancer.
Just think it gives a perspective about how many years can still be left at 74...if she's in otherwise good health and fit, it can really make a difference in how she tolerates the treatment.
best of luck,
kitty

Gindie,

I was recently diagnosed myself with a different cancer, and have learned alot in a short time. The amazing thing is how much medicine has accomplished in a short time. Breast cancer is now one of the most treatable cancers, with survival rates approaching 90%. There is so much that can be done!:D

Keep in mind that early detection is most important, and assuming nothing was detected last year, she may have only developed this over the past few months.

Certainly all the best for your Mom, but keep in mind that there are something like 8 million survivors in this country and most of us are doing just fine as she most likely will too!

Gindie,

I am sorry to hear about your mom, but as others have said, there is a good chance that all will be well. We are here, and hoping for the best outcome.

I have to admit that my Mom had breast cancer at 47 and then died of a recurrence at 57. MIL has been diagnosed with lung cancer but she is 91 and counting. It is never easy...

Just make the best of the time remaining and, with any luck, you will have another decade or so. Good luck.

My sister had breat cancer at 34, was "cured at 39, and it reappeared at age 40. She died last year, 2 months shy of her 46th birthday.

FWIW, older women do better than younger ones with breast cancer..........:)

Best wishes.............

Back
Top Bottom