Mummies and Carbohydrates

I just saw the movie Forks over Knives. There's an interview with Colin Campbell who wrote The China Study. Basically he makes the case for going vegan. I read his book a while back. So he promotes the exact opposite of the articles posted here. It's 2 hours and interesting. Personally I don't need weight loss, I just want good numbers.

I just saw the movie Forks over Knives. There's an interview with Colin Campbell who wrote The China Study. Basically he makes the case for going vegan. I read his book a while back. So he promotes the exact opposite of the articles posted here.
Many of these things will likely still be argued about when we are already planted in the ground.

So really, it boils down to "pay your money, and take your chance." One thing about doing whatever seems to make your weight better, your muscles larger and stronger, you endurance greater, your skin nicer, your energy higher, and your satisfaction greater is that these things are then in the bank. You are not barely tolerating a difficult abstemious life under the possibly vain hope that you will get a few extra difficult, abstemious years before you die.

Much as we may have unconscious fantasies that if we get the right diet, the right exercise program, the right medical care, we might just live forever- not gonna happen, and we would hate it if it did

When you look at quality, controlled reseach, nothing seems to make a very large difference if the endpoint is death.

Ha

If one visits a few of the paleo websites, there are enough links to keep one busy for a while, reading studies, refutations of studies, etc. Then make up your own mind... :rolleyes:

My conclusions are as follows:

Calories in - calories out is the dominant force in weight, as such. You eat enough, of any macronutrient, you'll gain weight. If you starve enough, vice versa. This doesn't necessarily mean it's the healthiest way to maintain your "ideal" weight.

Complex carbs are just strings of sugar.

Low carb, in the context of the Standard American Diet (SAD), is still a significant amount of carbs.

Eat real food, not too much.

In the end, we can all move to Oregon, and take too much seconal...

YouTube - ‪Johnny Winter - "Too Much Seconal"‬‏

If you want to dig a little deeper into what might be going on here, read this Diabetes Update: Insight into Why A1c Correlates So Strongly with Heart Attack

This woman is very smart and very responsible.

My 1 hr post meal glucose is usally less than 100, though I am sure I had some years where it was quite a bit higher. I have been testing for 5 years or so, and have never had a post meal higher than 130. In my case, this would not be true on any diet other than low carb.

IMO, we must have a take no prisoners attitude toward blood sugar rises, no matter how short lived.

Ha

Ha,

Thank you for this link. Very comprehensive.

Tolstoy Understood Low Carb

Reading Anna Karenina, written 1873-77, I ran across an interesting allusion to low carb eating for the purpose of losing weight. Thanks to the Kindle note taking feature I didn't have to get out of bed and look for pencil and paper to share it with you. Vronsky, a nobleman, is getting ready to ride in a steeplechase.

"On the day of the races at Krasnoe Selo, Vronsky had come earlier than usual to eat beefsteak in the common messroom of the regiment. He had no need to be strict with himself, as he had very quickly been brought down to the required light weight; but still he had to avoid gaining flesh, and so he eschewed farinaceous and sweet dishes."

And here is perhaps the first entire book to espouse low carb eating, written by Englishman William Banting in 1863. About William Banting, author of Letter on Corpulence, UK

Also, in another vein, here is more from Stephen Guyenet on a topic that I think is very unlikely to become the basis for a bestselling book-that dull, monotonous and bland tasting food leads to less obesity in those who habitually eat it.

Whole Health Source: Food Reward: a Dominant Factor in Obesity, Part V

IMO, this is typical internet obsessiveness. Since starting to read some blogs and discussion boards in the last few years I have discovered how many truly obsessive, unblanced people there are out there in electronlandia. This guy Stephan actually tries to eat boring food for his health.

I have found that there is some effect. I hate boring food, but I hate cooking even more, so my meals have migrated more and more toward utilitarian attempts to stop hunger rather than adventures in taste. When you are eating only because you are beginning to notice a hole in your stomach, you naturally tend to eat less. Wine changes this, wine makes me feel a desire for tasty food, and sometimes energizes me to prepare it. Likewise, I love it when my woman friend cooks, as she is not this way. However, I may eat enough on these occasions to feel it the next day.

Coffee is interesting. I find I look forward to coffee the way I looked forward to candy on Halloween when I was a boy. Sometimes before bed I will want to hurry on an go to sleep, so that I will soon be waking up and making and drinking coffee. And my dance partner always makes espresso; I look forward to this almost as much as I look forward to dancing with her.

Ha

Also, in another vein, here is more from Stephen Guyenet on a topic that I think is very unlikely to become the basis for a bestselling book-that dull, monotonous and bland tasting food leads to less obesity in those who habitually eat it.

Whole Health Source: Food Reward: a Dominant Factor in Obesity, Part V

IMO, this is typical internet obsessiveness. Since starting to read some blogs and discussion boards in the last few years I have discovered how many truly obsessive, unblanced people there are out there in electronlandia. This guy Stephan actually tries to eat boring food for his health.

I have found that there is some effect. I hate boring food, but I hate cooking even more, so my meals have migrated more and more toward utilitarian attempts to stop hunger rather than adventures in taste. When you are eating only because you are beginning to notice a hole in your stomach, you naturally tend to eat less. Wine changes this, wine makes me feel a desire for tasty food, and sometimes energizes me to prepare it. Likewise, I love it when my woman friend cooks, as she is not this way. However, I may eat enough on these occasions to feel it the next day.

I think there is something to be said for boring food. I've been working on losing weight, forever, it seems like. 20 years or so ago I got to my goal weight in Weight Watchers but as many do I slowly gained it back (accelerated by pregnancy weight gain).

I've been working seriously on weight loss (down 30 pounds from my high) and part of what is making it successful is to when I eat out not to not try so hard to find something extremely yummy tasting.

One problem I recognized that I had was seeing eating out as a "special occasion" where you should eat something highly pleasurable which tends to be things that are high calorie. That was fine when I was a kid and we eat out every month or two. Nowadays we eat out more so it was problematical.

So even when eating out I try to think of it as more eating fuel for the body and focusing more on calories and type of food rather than what is most pleasurable.

I also found that when I try to eat a wide variety of foods at home I tend to eat more.

Basically if I look at eating as a form of pleasure and enjoyment then I tend to eat more calories than if I look at eating more as fuel for the body and to not see it as a prime source of pleasure.

I've been working seriously on weight loss (down 30 pounds from my high) and part of what is making it successful is to when I eat out not to not try so hard to find something extremely yummy tasting.

One problem I recognized that I had was seeing eating out as a "special occasion" where you should eat something highly pleasurable which tends to be things that are high calorie. That was fine when I was a kid and we eat out every month or two. Nowadays we eat out more so it was problematical.

I also find eating out problematic . The amounts they serve are huge and I get tired of taking doggie bags home . The worse for me is lunch . My gym pals like to do lunch on Friday's and I have to search for something to eat that is not laden with calories even the salads are huge and have high calorie counts . I usually just eat half and take the other half home to my SO or just order a plain salad .

I also find eating out problematic . The amounts they serve are huge and I get tired of taking doggie bags home . The worse for me is lunch . My gym pals like to do lunch on Friday's and I have to search for something to eat that is not laden with calories even the salads are huge and have high calorie counts . I usually just eat half and take the other half home to my SO or just order a plain salad .

Same problem here. I have to think there's an opportunity here for a successful business venture...a restaurant chain that serves food for the diet conscious. Seems like most people I know are doing low calorie, low sodium, low carb, low fat, vegan, vegatarian, etc, etc, etc.

Yesterday Lena and I got a half order of ribs (we smuggled in our own sugar free BBQ sauce) and we still needed a doggie bag.

Yesterday Lena and I got a half order of ribs (we smuggled in our own sugar free BBQ sauce) and we still needed a doggie bag.
Al, can you give a name and where to get this sauce? Or a recipe if you make it yourself?
Ha

Al, can you give a name and where to get this sauce? Or a recipe if you make it yourself?
Ha

Yeah, I'd like this too!!

Here it is:

2 can tomato paste
1/2 cup water
36 drops liquid Splenda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
.75 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons low sodium teriyaki
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1 tablespoon canola or other mild vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)

Mix all ingredients together.

When covered, it will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks or more.

Good!

Here it is:

2 can tomato paste
1/2 cup water
36 drops liquid Splenda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
.75 cup cider vinegar

Good!

Since I don't like sweet BBQ, I would just eliminate the sweetener of any kind :) Looks like a good recipe!

Here it is:

2 can tomato paste
1/2 cup water
36 drops liquid Splenda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
.75 cup cider vinegar

Good!

Thanks T-Al! Sounds delish. Now that Nords is a published author, when can we expect your cookbook and bicycling guide?

Back
Top Bottom