Ultra Processed Foods

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
There's a good article in today's WSJ on the suspected dangers of ultra processed foods that make up 50% of our diet, more if you are a young person.

Note: If you have read the book Metabolical, this is old news.

https://www.wsj.com/health/wellness...dietary-guidelines-de00ccaa?mod=hp_lead_pos10

For those behind a paywall here are a few quotes:

Ultra-processed foods now make up a majority of Americans’ diets. About 58% of the calories that U.S. adults and children ages 1 and older consume in a day come from ultra-processed foods, according to an analysis of federal data collected from 2001 to 2018. Among children, the number is higher—and is growing. In 2018, children ages 2 to 19 received 67% of their daily calories from such foods, up from 61.4% in 1999, according to another analysis of federal data.

Many researchers define foods’ level of processing using a classification system published by scientists in Brazil.
Most ultra-processed foods have some engineering involved. To make them, companies generally break down whole foods and chemically modify them to create ingredients like soy protein isolate, derived from soybeans, and maltodextrin, a sweetener derived from corn, rice or other grains. Ultra-processed foods also often include ingredients that enhance a food’s flavor, color or texture.
An influential study from researchers at the National Institutes of Health found that people who ate a diet high in ultra-processed foods consumed more calories and gained weight compared with people who ate a minimally processed diet—even though the diets contained roughly the same amounts of calories, fat, sugar, sodium and fiber.

Last edited:
Have there been any studies that show a causal link between the increased consumption of UPF and greater all-cause mortality? I'd imagine there is a statistical correlation, but I wonder if that's simply due to the fact that UPF tend to have more sugar, more salt, and higher levels of unhealthy fats? IOW, is there something inherently unhealthy about heavily processed foods, independent of their sugar/salt/fat content?

Have there been any studies that show a causal link between the increased consumption of UPF and greater all-cause mortality? I'd imagine there is a statistical correlation, but I wonder if that's simply due to the fact that UPF tend to have more sugar, more salt, and higher levels of unhealthy fats? IOW, is there something inherently unhealthy about heavily processed foods, independent of their sugar/salt/fat content?

Sorry I can't cite a study but one possibility is that UPFs strip out a lot of the good stuff- e.g. fiber, water, trace elements we need- and then try to make up for it by "enriching" it with added vitamins or whatever. Look at fruit roll-ups. They sort of start with fruit but they have no fiber, little water and added sugar. A lot of these foods are also softer- people seem to be going more for "gummi" texture. I look at the candy racks (I like the occasional hard candy) and gummis seem to be the majority of the non-chocolate section. Sometimes I can't even find hard candy in convenience stores. Chewing things with texture and crunch slow down your eating (a good thing) and enhance circulation in the gums.

The impression I get is that needs to be studied. Who will fund the studies is another issue. I doubt if the big food conglomerates will fund it. Governments might fund it, if the special interests don't shut that down. A lot of UPF are organic, vegan, etc. so these groups might not be anxious to fund the study either.

We decided a number of years ago to cut down as much as possible on processed foods and on fast foods.

After a little while we found that our taste buds seemed to improve. Now, we can sometimes discern in slight chemical taste in some processed foods on those occasions when we have them.

We went with our grandchildren to McDonalds two months ago. Had not been there for years. We both discarded most of our Big Mac. It was disgusting.

We made some other diet changes at the same time. We both felt so much better for doing so.

Agree with athena53. It's not what remains in UPFs that's bad, but instead what has been removed. Those who eat lots of UPFs are getting less of the fiber and natural enzymes that assist with digestion. UPFs also taste better so larger quantities are consumed.

I have not read Metabolical however, I have listened to a number of Dr. Lustig's podcasts over the years, wherein he discusses, inter alia, how a change in diet has influenced the health of his patients.

"When you eat good food, you eat less of it."
- Tom Fitzmorris, on "The Food Show" on the radio in New Orleans.

We went to a “Just Eat Real Food” diet several years back. Pretty much eat at home if not traveling. Minimally processed fresh or frozen food. Almost nothing in a box. Almost nothing with added sugar, ground up or liquified. It’s quite doable and you skip large sections of the grocery store.

I think the US researchers were shocked that the subjects consumed an average of 500 more calories a day when their diet was predominantly UPF rather than the whole food nutritionally equivalent version.

Brazil has been on the UPF band wagon for many years now and developed the NOVA scale classifying food processing. They’ve done a lot of research. I’m surprised it’s just now trickling in to US major media. Folks in the know have been talking about this for years.

And I have read Metabolical. Very informative!

Last edited:
"When you eat good food, you eat less of it."
- Tom Fitzmorris, on "The Food Show" on the radio in New Orleans.

This has been our experience. Ditto for good food prepared well.

Article is behind a paywall for me.

The problem I have with most of the articles I read about this subject is that there isn't an agreed upon definition of exactly what is a processed food?

Does this article have an actual definition?

The article says, "Many researchers use a classification system published by scientists in Brazil." That tells me there isn't an agreed upon definition.

Also says, "Most ultra-processed foods have some engineering involved." Yes, I suppose if it's not in the produce aisle or fresh meats section there is some engineering involved.

Does it have chemicals listed in the ingredients? Sure, but the FDA says most of these chemicals are not harmful (otherwise they wouldn't approve them.)

How about a study comparing people in Germany (or other European countries) where there are strict food purity laws with people in the US?

We intuitively know that eating "processed foods" (whatever that is...) is bad for us. My problem is that no one can define what a processed food actually is.

Article is behind a paywall for me.

The problem I have with most of the articles I read about this subject is that there isn't an agreed upon definition of exactly what is a processed food?

Does this article have an actual definition?

The article says, "Many researchers use a classification system published by scientists in Brazil." That tells me there isn't an agreed upon definition.

Also says, "Most ultra-processed foods have some engineering involved." Yes, I suppose if it's not in the produce aisle or fresh meats section there is some engineering involved.

Does it have chemicals listed in the ingredients? Sure, but the FDA says most of these chemicals are not harmful (otherwise they wouldn't approve them.)

How about a study comparing people in Germany (or other European countries) where there are strict food purity laws with people in the US?

We intuitively know that eating "processed foods" (whatever that is...) is bad for us. My problem is that no one can define what a processed food actually is.
For the WSJ article definition, "Nutrition researchers generally consider foods ultra-processed if they include ingredients that you wouldn’t find in a home kitchen, such as high-fructose corn syrup and emulsifiers, said Christina A. Roberto, director of the Psychology of Eating and Consumer Health Lab at the University of Pennsylvania’s Perelman School of Medicine.
Many researchers define foods’ level of processing using a classification system published by scientists in Brazil.
Unprocessed or minimally processed foods are pretty close to their natural state—fruits, vegetables, plain meat. They might be altered via processes such as drying, roastingorpasteurizing and can include some preservatives, but lack addedsalt, sugar or other food substances, said Carlos A. Monteiro, a professor in the department of nutrition at the School of Public Health at the University of São Paulo and a co-creator of the system.

Processed foods might be preserved by canning, bottling or some fermentation, and might contain ingredients such as butter or salt: Think canned beans, cheese or fresh bread you would find at a local bakery.
Most ultra-processed foods have some engineering involved. To make them, companies generally breakdown whole foods and chemically modify them to createingredients like soy protein isolate, derived from soybeans, and maltodextrin, a sweetener derived from corn, rice or other grains. Ultra-processed foods also often include ingredients that enhance afood’s flavor, color or texture."

For the Brazil study, the WSJ article has a link: Ultra-processed foods: what they are and how to identify them

For the WSJ article definition, "Nutrition researchers generally consider foods ultra-processed if they include ingredients that you wouldn’t find in a home kitchen, such as high-fructose corn syrup and emulsifiers, said Christina A. Roberto, director of the Psychology of Eating and Consumer Health Lab at the University of Pennsylvania’s Perelman School of Medicine.
Unprocessed or minimally processed foods are pretty close to their natural state—fruits, vegetables, plain meat. They might be altered via processes such as drying, roastingorpasteurizing and can include some preservatives, but lack addedsalt, sugar or other food substances, said Carlos A. Monteiro, a professor in the department of nutrition at the School of Public Health at the University of São Paulo and a co-creator of the system.

Processed foods might be preserved by canning, bottling or some fermentation, and might contain ingredients such as butter or salt: Think canned beans, cheese or fresh bread you would find at a local bakery.
Most ultra-processed foods have some engineering involved. To make them, companies generally breakdown whole foods and chemically modify them to createingredients like soy protein isolate, derived from soybeans, and maltodextrin, a sweetener derived from corn, rice or other grains. Ultra-processed foods also often include ingredients that enhance afood’s flavor, color or texture."

For the Brazil study, the WSJ article has a link: Ultra-processed foods: what they are and how to identify them

Right. So anything that comes in a can, a bag, a box, or is frozen would be considered processed food. Is it reasonable to avoid all such foods?

Right. So anything that comes in a can, a bag, a box, or is frozen would be considered processed food. Is it reasonable to avoid all such foods?

No, minimally processed is fine, things the home cook and local butcher/grocer have been doing for a long time. It’s the UPFs to be avoided.

Things in a box - these are often UPFs.

Yes, there is an element of "I know it when I see it", as it does vary from person to person. For example, some would probably say Triscuits are a healthy snack, whereas others would say, due to the sunflower oil they are an UPF and bad for you.

Eh, it's less a matter of packaging than the ingredients list. Bag of frozen peas? Probably fine. Frozen hungry-man dinner? pass....

Well, Big Brother strikes again. This showed up in my news feed after I read through this discussion.

It repeats the definition form the Brazilian study and lists examples (some of which look delicious, unfortunately) and tells why they're bad for us. I was eating a protein bar at the time. Oops.

And for years my dear mother put the blocks of yellow stuff out on the table and called it "butter" when it was margarine.

Last edited:
And for years my dear mother put the blocks of yellow stuff out on the table and called it "butter" when it was margarine.

I'm not sure I ever even tasted butter until I was in college. The main question at our house was fancy name brand margarine (that fit for a king stuff) or generic...

In college I had a housemate who questioned my purchase of margarine and he wouldn't touch it. He bought butter and I got used to that very quickly! So much better.

What's normal or regular changes over time.

Back
Top Bottom