My DH has prostate cancer

Wow -- what sad news. My heart goes out to you and your husband. I know nothing at all about prostate cancer so I can't add much to what others have said, except that we care and are surely hoping for the best. Take care.

Tough break bbbamI. Sorry to hear about it. As you say, it is good that it was caught early.

My neighbour was diagnosed with prostate cancer at 60 and beat it. He has been cancer free for 4 years now. My FiL was diagnosed at 73. He was treated and his PSA readings barely register any more ie. he is in full remission.

All the best to you.

I'm so sorry to hear this also, but glad that they caught it early. I'll look forward to updates when you have some news to share.

I can only imagine how you must feel right now. No one is ever prepared to be told they or a loved one has cancer. DH and I were just talking about cancer the other day (as we have had three friends recently diagnosed with differnt types)and how difficult and frightening it must be to get that news.

But we also talked about how amazing the treatments are today, how survival rates are better than what we heard when we were younger - especially when caught early. Stay positive and know there are lots of people here to talk to. We're all thinking of you and DH.

So sorry to hear the news.

Stay positive, there is an excellent recovery rate with early detection. I only personally know 3 people who had prostate cancer and they were all treated successfully.

As other have said.... the good news is it is prostate cancer... I used to talk to my BIL who read up on this (he did not have it)... the few things I remember him saying...

Most men actually have prostate cancer and are not diagnosed... Rich might be able to confirm or deny....

It is very treatable... and success is very high...

I remember an uncle of mine told us about his... I think he first found out about 15 years ago... he had some kind of radioactive pellets inserted... I really never got an update as to what happened.... but I do know he is still living... age of 88...

In the end... all will be OK.....

BBB, FWIW about 10 years ago my father went through a radical prostatectomy after they found a stage IV tumor. He'd been avoiding doctors for a decade, and by the time he saw one his PSA was off the charts.

He went to a small community hospital, where by today's standards his surgeons were probably using stone axes and catgut. Everything turned out fine. He practically did it as outpatient, taking taxis between the hospital and his apartment. A decade later his PSA is still in the very low single digits.

Tough news. If it's any help, my DW's uncle had PC a couple of years back. He was in his late seventies and came through fine. As others have indicated, worse things could happen. Hoping everything turns out well.

I'm so sorry to hear the news bbbamI. I'd like to join the amazing support group you have here. You and your DH are going to come through this just fine.

bbbam,
Very sorry to hear the news. This whole prostate thang appears to be a significant design problem in men. If it's any comfort, know that your DH has plenty of company. The treatment options are many, and from what I've seen it can be a bit intimidating to choose. The good news is that successful treatment (both in terms of longevity and preserving quality of life) is the norm. My FIL had some type of multi-axis beam radiation treatments for his prostate cancer last year--it left him feeling quite tired for a couple months, but he's much better now.

Quoting you from another thread: "I have unconditional love in my life and I'm going to cherish every moment...."

He's very fortunate to have you in this fight with him... It will be tough but I'd put my money on the two of you!

I'm sorry to hear about your DH's pc. I wish the best for you and DH and am betting he is going to do well and beat this cancer.

My father went through pc and he had radioactive seeds implanted in the prostate. I don't remember what stage his was considered, but it was slow growing. He is doing well now 15 years later and the psa has remained low.

Dear bbbamI, I was sorry to wake up to this thread. You do have friends galore in all of us. A couple of ladies that I know have husbands and fathers who have dealt very successfully with this issue. There are lots of treatment options, I believe, with extremely high success rates. I am glad they caught this early and that your DH has an excellent prognosis.

Sorry to hear this news. I have known several with prostate cancer and all are well or passed for reasons unrelated to the cancer.

Sorry to learn of this but the positive is that from everything I've ever heard finding out about it early makes it easily treatable.

FIL had treatment for it about five years ago and at 84 he's doing fine.

DW freaked at the "C word" in me about 20 years ago for some minor skin cancer, caught early, that was handled with an office visit. No issues since.

Sorry to hear the news but, as others have said, prostate cancer is a slow developing cancer and they have very good treatment regimens for it. Success rates are high especially when caught early. I've even seen reports where they say we spend too much money screening for it. Say most men will pass due to old age as opposed to the prostate cancer.

I've had the samples taken and that wasn't a pleasant experience at all. Developed an infection in the plumbing from the test too. That was very unpleasant but the test itself came back negative.

Wish your DH and you the best and I believe you'll be somewhat relieved as you learn more.
Thank you for your post. I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience with the biopsy. I was really concerned about the procedure too...but we agreed it was best he had one done. His sonogram and biopsy only took about an hour to do in the doctor's office.

He said it was a bit uncomfortable, but not as bad as he thought it would be. He had no bleeding or cramps, just minor discomfort that lasted a couple of hours. He did not develop an infection as his doctor gave him some antibiotics to take for a few days. Unfortunately the results were not what we hoped for.

-------------------------------------

Again, I want to thank everyone for your posts and PMs. They are all heartfelt....and they mean so much to me. I will reply to all of the PMs soon.

Sure wish I could copy and magnify this little guy...:blink:...and paste it on my face. That way, people will know I'm about a half bubble off plumb and won't expect too much out of me.

:)

Very sorry to hear your news - my heart goes out to you. As many have said, fortunately it seems to have been caught early, and the treatment options often provide positive results! {hug}

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Not heard that phrase before - great to see you are maintaining your wonderful sense of humor.
Well, I just took WS's advice....

You've definitely deserve some Baileys in those Cheerios...:D
I don't have any Baileys, but I did use a hint of JD...for medicinal purposes, don't ya know? :angel:

;)

Back
Top Bottom