My DH has prostate cancer

Wow, I'm just now seeing this thread. Very sorry bbbam. I'm sure it has to be a shock to both of you, but it's very curable when found early. Looks good based what you said. Best of luck to both of you.

BTW, what prompted the biopsy? The psa test, manual exam or both?
Thanks Dawg... :)

The PSA prompted the biopsy. The PCP did not feel an enlarged prostate through the manual exam.

His PSA has always been fine until a couple of years ago. During his yearly physical, his PSA was a 2..up a little bit from his test the year before. So his PCP had him check with an urologist. The urologist wasn't concerned...just told him to have it checked six months later. When DH did, the PSA had gone down a little bit.

This year it was a 4. Once again his PCP had him see the urologist (the same one he saw before). This time a biopsy was recommended. During the prostate sonogram and biopsy, the urologist could see the prostate was enlarged.

DH had no symptoms whatsoever.

Ok...here goes...I have to say this. Please guys; get checked on a routine basis.

Don't let the cancer get out of hand. It's hard enough to deal with even when it's caught early. :(

Ok...here goes...I have to say this. Please guys; get checked on a routine basis.

Don't let the cancer get out of hand. It's hard enough to deal with even when it's caught early. :(

Don't worry, it's one of our favorite things to do. :whistle:

Attachments

• scardey.jpg
    scardey.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 0
I get a PSA test (diagnostic for prostate cancer) every 3 months, which is more often than usual. My PSA result for September was 4.01, and the one for December was 4.64. My lab lists the reference range as <= 4.00. I'm a little concerned, since I don't like the trend. However, in the past my PSA score has gone over 7.00, so my score is not that high. I can't decide whether to schedule a special appointment with my urologist. Decisions, decisions. I think I'll wait until March, when I'll get another PSA test, to see if the upward trend continues.

DH and I found out yesterday his brother has prostrate cancer. bbbamI, I was thankful you posted this thread as I learned a lot and didn't immediately panic. We're worried, but hopeful.

Oh shizzz...I'm sorry Purron. :(

Through this journey I'm going to learn even more and will share as much as I can.

....a warm TX hug for you and your family...

Sorry to hear that Purron. :(

Thanks for sharing. Sooner or later this info will be useful for others.

This site may be interest for people interested in cancer treatments:
Reliable Cancer Therapies
I don't know how good it is, but my first impression is rather positive.

I am an eight year survivor. I have a good friend who is a 13 year survivor (also surgery) I had a "robotic" mini-surgery and have had excellent results-by the grace of God and a great surgeon!!

Take your time and do lots of research-prostate cancer moves very slowly. Your local American Cancer society most likely has a support group/educational seminars strictly for prostate patients.

Keep the faith!

DH and I found out yesterday his brother has prostrate cancer. bbbamI, I was thankful you posted this thread as I learned a lot and didn't immediately panic. We're worried, but hopeful.

Well, what can I say except that I am truly sorry....

I am an eight year survivor. I have a good friend who is a 13 year survivor (also surgery) I had a "robotic" mini-surgery and have had excellent results-by the grace of God and a great surgeon!!

Take your time and do lots of research-prostate cancer moves very slowly. Your local American Cancer society most likely has a support group/educational seminars strictly for prostate patients.

Keep the faith!
Thank you for your post and I'm so pleased to hear of not only your success, but your friend's as well. :)

Yes, I imagine in most cases men have time to consider the treatment options especially if found early. As a matter of fact, DH told the doc upon diagnosis that he has a colonoscopy scheduled for January 11th. The doc said to proceed with the colonoscopy as he does have time.

We're going to the doc this afternoon to discuss treatments. I have three pages of questions for him. One of which is will any options for treatment be taken away if they find anything during the colonoscopy procedure.

Ahhhh....sigh....:blink:

One of which is will any options for treatment be taken away if they find anything during the colonoscopy procedure.
The chance is remote, but as I noted above, radiation treatment for rectal cancer can prevent radiation treatment for prostate cancer. Too much radiation to the same area.

The chance is remote, but as I noted above, radiation treatment for rectal cancer can prevent radiation treatment for prostate cancer. Too much radiation to the same area.
Yes...your post made me write the question down. I'm a little fuzzy these daze and forget who/what/when/where.

Thanks Greg. :)

Date: 12/15/10
For: bbbami
Medication: JD straight
Amount: 750cc
Instructions: take 1 or 2 glasses as needed.
Refillable x 10.

When going over medical problems with my new doctor I mentioned severe cramping in my legs while asleep. He stated quinine was a good remedy. I asked him if he was prescribing gin and tonics each evening. He said that is what he does. I think I am going to like my new doctor. Question - Is the gin a tax deductible medical expense?

We had a good meeting with the doctor this afternoon. He explained everything very well and answered our questions.

Bottom line is the cancer was caught very early and fortunately the type of cancer DH has is not aggressive. At this point we are leaning toward radiation treatments as the risks/complications are a lesser degree than surgery. However, this may change if his colonoscopy next month shows bad results.

So for the next couple of weeks or so we're going to try and relax a bit. Once the colonoscopy is done, we can move forward. I'll update then.

(If anyone wants to ask me questions, please feel free to send a PM)

:)

That sounds like very positive news just before Christmas :flowers:

News like this is better than any Christmas gift...:)

Hey friends,

My husband's brother had his surgery today and is OK. We're waiting for more details. Hope your DH is also doing good bbbamI.

Back
Top Bottom