Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Hey friends,

My husband's brother had his surgery today and is OK. We're waiting for more details. Hope your DH is also doing good bbbamI.
Wow...already? Well now, bless his heart.....I hope he has a speedy recovery.

DH is doin' pretty good thanks. He'll be seeing a doctor in radiology in about a week and a half. Yeppers, we're asking questions and taking notes. Not sure at this point if he'll have surgery or radiation...still got some figuring to do.

...oh and thanks dessert.
__________________

__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #102
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Hey friends,

My husband's brother had his surgery today and is OK. We're waiting for more details. Hope your DH is also doing good bbbamI.
Best wishes for your BIL. You know we are all wishing for the best outcome possible.
__________________

__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
I've received more PMs of well wishes and I certainly do appreciate them.

I starting thinking about the emotional part of when a SO becomes ill. My experience has shown me that I could have never prepared myself for my DH's diagnosis of cancer.

Fortunately we are prepared financially when the day comes that only one of us is left. We made those plans long before we were thrust into this emotional whirlwind...and for that I am grateful. It's tough enough to deal with such an illness....

It's difficult to talk about, but it so important to secure the financial fate of the loved one that is left behind. If you haven't talked to your SO about such matters, please do it now.
__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #104
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I've received more PMs of well wishes and I certainly do appreciate them.

I starting thinking about the emotional part of when a SO becomes ill. My experience has shown me that I could have never prepared myself for my DH's diagnosis of cancer.

Fortunately we are prepared financially when the day comes that only one of us is left. We made those plans long before we were thrust into this emotional whirlwind...and for that I am grateful. It's tough enough to deal with such an illness....

It's difficult to talk about, but it so important to secure the financial fate of the loved one that is left. If you haven't talked to your SO about such matters, please do it now.
Good post, and thank you for the reminder to get your financial affairs in order well before any serious issues arrive. Our tendency is to not think about the worst, but it is good to face up to the possibilities and be prepared.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
Here’s an update from the bbbamI household. We met with the radiology doc last Friday. After all our questions were answered and careful consideration, DH decided to have the radiation treatments (IMRT) instead of surgery.

During the next few weeks he will have gold seeds implanted in his prostate. These are not radiation seeds; they are a form of locating the prostate (as it can move slightly) and getting the radiation to the proper area. Next he will have a RT planning scan and a mold made for his lower body. He will have x-rays done on the 9th of February and the RT will begin the next day. He will have 44 treatments.

Later this afternoon I’m going to mix his pre-colonoscopy ‘cocktail’ and get his jello ready for tomorrow. His colonoscopy is scheduled for Tuesday.

…sigh…

Poor guy. I think he might need a toy to help him feel better.

btw...Purron...I hope your BIL is dong well.
__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RonBoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 5,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Here’s an update from the bbbamI household...
He is soooo blessed to have you.
__________________
"It's tough to make predictions, especially when it involves the future." ~Attributed to many
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." ~(perhaps by) Yogi Berra
"Those who have knowledge, don't predict. Those who predict, don't have knowledge."~ Lau tzu
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #107
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GregLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Waimanalo, HI
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Next he will have a RT planning scan and a mold made for his lower body. He will have x-rays done on the 9th of February and the RT will begin the next day. He will have 44 treatments.
It sounds pretty familiar. I had rectal cancer, not prostate cancer, but went through some planning sessions for the radiation, had preliminary X-rays, a personal wood frame built to hold my lower body in the right position. Also tattoos, to help the technicians get me aligned for the accelerator. I had 33 treatments, 5 days per week. There is no sensation at all produced by the radiation treatments when they're given, although I did start to get side effects after a couple of weeks.
__________________
Greg (retired in 2010 at age 68, state pension)
GregLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #108
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Here’s an update from the bbbamI household. ....DH decided to have the radiation treatments (IMRT) instead of surgery.
Please continue to keep us posted. We saw Ratface through his cancer ordeal, and we'll see your DH (via you) through this.

(Remember how Ratface described having his head/upper body mold made? Don't let them surprise your DH with that hot plastic!)

Meanwhile, I think maybe YOU deserve a new toy, too....

Amethyst
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #109
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,372
You and Mr. Bam have a stressful few weeks ahead--we'll all be thinking of you. Yes, in spite of it all, he is a lucky guy--he has you!
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #110
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Later this afternoon I’m going to mix his pre-colonoscopy ‘cocktail’ and get his jello ready for tomorrow. His colonoscopy is scheduled for Tuesday.

…sigh…

Poor guy. I think he might need a toy to help him feel better.

btw...Purron...I hope your BIL is dong well.

I think you both need toys and coloring books and a lot of patience for this . I'll be thinking about you & DH !
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #111
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,585
That sounds like quite a good treatment plan.
Best of luck with it.
__________________
Pas de lieu Rhône que nous.
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #112
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,825
Thanks for the update. My thoughts are with you two, and I'll be hoping his treatment and recovery are smooth and quick.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #113
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
During the next few weeks he will have gold seeds implanted in his prostate. These are not radiation seeds; they are a form of locating the prostate (as it can move slightly) and getting the radiation to the proper area. Next he will have a RT planning scan and a mold made for his lower body. He will have x-rays done on the 9th of February and the RT will begin the next day. He will have 44 treatments.
Between the seeds and the mold the treatment sounds light-years ahead of the prostatectomy my father had just 10 years ago, and he's had no post-surgery problems since then.

Hopefully for you guys this will be more of an exercise in patience than anything else...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #114
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Purron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Here’s an update from the bbbamI household. We met with the radiology doc last Friday. After all our questions were answered and careful consideration, DH decided to have the radiation treatments (IMRT) instead of surgery.

During the next few weeks he will have gold seeds implanted in his prostate. These are not radiation seeds; they are a form of locating the prostate (as it can move slightly) and getting the radiation to the proper area. Next he will have a RT planning scan and a mold made for his lower body. He will have x-rays done on the 9th of February and the RT will begin the next day. He will have 44 treatments.

Later this afternoon I’m going to mix his pre-colonoscopy ‘cocktail’ and get his jello ready for tomorrow. His colonoscopy is scheduled for Tuesday.

…sigh…

Poor guy. I think he might need a toy to help him feel better.

btw...Purron...I hope your BIL is dong well.
bbbami,

Thanks for the update. My husband's brother is doing well. One thing I've learned about this disease is there are many ways to treat it. I know you and DH have done your research, spoken to the docs, and have come up with the best way to move forward. Wishing you both all the best and please keep us updated.

**huggs**

Purron
__________________
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #115
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
After all our questions were answered and careful consideration, DH decided to have the radiation treatments (IMRT) instead of surgery.
This is precisely the treatment my FIL had. It's really something to see the amount of study that goes into choosing the precise angles and dosages administered during each treatment, and the precision with which each "shot" is administered. I went with him once during the course of his treatment to talk to the techs, see the equipment they use and the documentation for his case. You should definitely make a visit if he's okay with it.
FIL is doing fine and I think he's happy he went this route.

Best of luck to you both.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #116
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,260
I don't know that I can add anything to all the supporting comments here, but it is clear what a strong relationship you have with your DH and that strength will see you through this. Better days are ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
This is precisely the treatment my FIL had. It's really something to see the amount of study that goes into choosing the precise angles and dosages administered during each treatment, and the precision with which each "shot" is administered. ...
My DIL is a Radiation Therapist, they work with the "Cyber-Knife" in her hospital. Really amazing stuff. She has said that when they are out with co-workers, and someone asks "what do you do for a living?", they nonchalantly answer "Oh, we cure cancer". I got a kick out of that.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #117
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,423
Thanks for the update. Wow, 44 treatments sounds like a long ordeal, I hope the side effects are minimal you and DH can get used to this as your new routine for a while.

Sounds like a good excuse for each of your to get an iPad or a Kindle or some other new gizmo.

When I was 28 I had to have my gallbladder removed and spent 5 days in the hospital. My friends from work visited me in the hospital and brought me coloring books and crayons. It really was a nice treat, especially since they stayed long enough for us to all color together.

Something about a new box of crayons, even when you are an adult.
__________________
Married, both 62. DH retired June, 2010. I have a pleasant little part time job.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #118
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
freebird5825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Nowhere, 43N Latitude, NY
Posts: 9,017
Please pass this message to DH for me.

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."
Mark Twain


__________________
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #119
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
Thank you all for your support and experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I think you both need toys and coloring books and a lot of patience for this .
Now, this made me laugh out loud! I just hope I have the sense to be able to color inside the lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Thanks for the update. Wow, 44 treatments sounds like a long ordeal, I hope the side effects are minimal you and DH can get used to this as your new routine for a while.
Yes..it is a lot and will be quite the ordeal. If he misses any treatments, he has to make them up. Hopefully that won't happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Something about a new box of crayons, even when you are an adult.
Ok, you and Moe have convinced me. I've got some crayons..but not a new box. Looks like I might have to go shopping...
__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #120
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Between the seeds and the mold the treatment sounds light-years ahead of the prostatectomy my father had just 10 years ago, and he's had no post-surgery problems since then.

Hopefully for you guys this will be more of an exercise in patience than anything else...
I am so grateful for the advances in medicine and for the fact that we have the means to take care of this. I'm glad your daddy has not had any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
This is precisely the treatment my FIL had. It's really something to see the amount of study that goes into choosing the precise angles and dosages administered during each treatment, and the precision with which each "shot" is administered. I went with him once during the course of his treatment to talk to the techs, see the equipment they use and the documentation for his case. You should definitely make a visit if he's okay with it.
FIL is doing fine and I think he's happy he went this route.

Best of luck to you both.
I am so pleased your FIL is doing well. Your post also enables me to be more optimistic about the treatment. Thank you Sam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I don't know that I can add anything to all the supporting comments here, but it is clear what a strong relationship you have with your DH and that strength will see you through this. Better days are ahead!

My DIL is a Radiation Therapist, they work with the "Cyber-Knife" in her hospital. Really amazing stuff. She has said that when they are out with co-workers, and someone asks "what do you do for a living?", they nonchalantly answer "Oh, we cure cancer". I got a kick out of that.

-ERD50
Thank you ERD50...yes, this year I'm definitely looking forward to summer.

As for your DIL; the next time you see her, give her an extra hug from me.

---------------------------

It was difficult trying to decide which treatment would be the best. There are pros and cons to each option available. When it gets down to the nitty gritty, it is DH's body and he had to make the best choice for him. All I can do is support him and hope for the best.

One other thing... The doc said the success rate of RT or surgery was the same at 90% in DH's situation. I like those odds. But I have to tell ya, it sure would have been nice if they could have added another 10%....
__________________

__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prostate Cancer and index finger length MichaelB Health and Early Retirement 25 12-02-2010 04:54 PM
Prostate cancer redux FinallyRetired Health and Early Retirement 41 11-05-2009 11:47 PM
New Prostate Cancer treatments under test FinallyRetired Health and Early Retirement 4 04-23-2009 01:59 PM
Nonfat milk linked to prostate cancer REWahoo Health and Early Retirement 16 01-15-2008 09:58 AM
Prostate Cancer Concerns? Maybe cutting out the cheese makes sense marty Health and Early Retirement 6 12-30-2006 11:34 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:03 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.