My new stent

Believe it or not, I just came in and started reading this thread after mowing my lawn (quick trim for the party Wednesday). It's 90 F out and I needed a cold drink. In May I had my annual physical and an EKG, which was a good result. Maybe I have good genes? Maybe I am lucky? :cool:

I hear ya.....I'm just laughing because using the word 'still' implies that 63 is 'old'......helluva shock coming down the road if that's the case.

Believe it or not, I just came in and started reading this thread after mowing my lawn (quick trim for the party Wednesday). It's 90 F out and I needed a cold drink. In May I had my annual physical and an EKG, which was a good result. Maybe I have good genes? Maybe I am lucky? :cool:
Our lawn guy is in his 70's, and mows lawns for a living. He does probably 3 dozen or more every week and has been mowing lawns for a living for at least 50 years, so he is in excellent shape and I don't worry about his heart. He did switch over to a rider mower in recent years, even though these lawns are mostly on 50'x120' lots, and he makes his young assistant do the edging. So a rider mower is always an option for diehard lawn mowing enthusiasts, I would imagine.

I hear ya.....I'm just laughing because using the word 'still' implies that 63 is 'old'......helluva shock coming down the road if that's the case.
I keep telling Frank this. He's turning 64 this summer and I'm not sure he believes me about that helluva shock you mentioned. Personally I started the exponential downhill trajectory when I was about 67, although I expect it will get even steeper in the coming years.

I keep telling Frank this. He's turning 64 this summer and I'm not sure he believes me about that helluva shock you mentioned. Personally I started the exponential downhill trajectory when I was about 67, although I expect it will get even steeper in the coming years.

Although I still use the elliptical, ([-]preparing[/-] hoping to hit 76 in 2 months), I'm slowing...at 73, while I was still doing stairs, my best was 7,395 risers in one day...age comes on fast and sneaky.

Had my nuclear stress test today after flunking a regular one two weeks ago. Made me a little nervous when the technician wanted my cell phone number before I left in case I needed to come back in today. Will meet my cardiologist in the morning to figure out what comes next.

Our lawn guy is in his 70's, and mows lawns for a living. He does probably 3 dozen or more every week and has been mowing lawns for a living for at least 50 years, so he is in excellent shape and I don't worry about his heart. He did switch over to a rider mower in recent years, even though these lawns are mostly on 50'x120' lots, and he makes his young assistant do the edging. So a rider mower is always an option for diehard lawn mowing enthusiasts, I would imagine.

I'm a little older than him, but not doing a lot of lawns. :LOL:

I'm in very good cardiovascular shape, as I exercise regularly. I still find this thread scary! To the OP - glad to see you dodged this bullet. To W2R - I haven't mowed my own lawn in a gazillion years, but I still do my own snow blowing. Have to confess for some reason I enjoy it, but each time I go outside to do it I consciously monitor how I am feeling, to make sure there is no unreasonable sweating, chest pains, etc.

I know this is unpopular with some guys, but I'd like to say a few things as a PSA for those who might consider it.

Could I urge our forum members over 50-55 years old to stop mowing the lawn for exercise? Mowing the lawn, by nature, is an hour or so of relatively intense exercise once every week or two, so I personally think it is hard to build up one's physical capabilities that way. It probably stresses the heart just as much every week as it did the week before.

+1

A few days ago I did some mainenance work on my deck. Nothing skilled just a lot of elbow work to get the thing in shape for the summer. I divided the deck into 6 sections. After each section I took a 5+ minute breather. I suffered no heart attacks or other serious problems, just a few sore muscles that normally don't get used that much. :)

I find that as I grow older, a sensible realization of my limitations combined with pacing and other adjustments keeps me doing most of what I always did, albeit a bit slower. A few things I have given up, but, when I think about it, sleeping in a tiny tent on the top of Mt. Icensleet was not that fun.

Reactions: W2R
I’d highly recommend the Cardiac Calcium Score test. It’s a CT scan of your heart and identifies calcium buildup in your arteries, which is a good predictor or heart disease. A score of 0 is best, with 400 considered to be high risk. Mine was 1135. Needless to say, I took the results to my cardiologist. They got me in quickly for a nuclear stress test. I do have significant plaque buildup, but it’s evenly dispersed with nothing bad enough to take action on immediately. However, I am diagnosed with heart disease and will see my cardiologist regularly.
You do need a prescription for the test and it is not covered by insurance, but only cost me $129 two years ago. I now know I need to take care of myself better and to watch for other symptoms.

ETA: My cholesterol was never high and my weight is fine. I never smoked or drank in excess. For those in great shape, don’t think you’re safe. I once knew an Air Force PJ that was in great shape until he keeled over on his desk one day. Because of the medical training of PJs, he was saved by his buddies. Had to medically retire though.

Last edited:
I’d highly recommend the Cardiac Calcium Score test. It’s a CT scan of your heart and identifies calcium buildup in your arteries, which is a good predictor or heart disease. A score of 0 is best, with 400 considered to be high risk. Mine was 1135. Needless to say, I took the results to my cardiologist. They got me in quickly for a nuclear stress test. I do have significant plaque buildup, but it’s evenly dispersed with nothing bad enough to take action on immediately. However, I am diagnosed with heart disease and will see my cardiologist regularly.
You do need a prescription for the test and it is not covered by insurance, but only cost me $129 two years ago. I now know I need to take care of myself better and to watch for other symptoms.

This is supposed to be one of the best tests out there, but I think you have to take even that with a grain of (low sodium) salt.

I had a calcium score done about ten years ago and got 370. A couple of years later I had a complete CT scan done (much more expensive) and it was the same. My regular doc was concerned, but I talked with a cardiologist who pointed out that the calcium just stays there forever and doesn't change. Since I have routinely done high intensity exercise most of my life, and never had a problem, he said the damage (which was scattered and spread out) could have been from when I was younger and my current lifestyle was probably OK.

He also considered the 370 total score to be only moderate, and if there was any coronary artery disease it was likely just mild.

Here's another thing:

Looking just at relative risk, which is what drug companies and journalists like to do, a 2008 paper in the New England Journal of Medicine studied 6,722 subjects and followed them for an average of four years after taking their calcium scores, looking for those who had a "major coronary event". Someone with a score over 300 had a relative risk of 1,900 percent compared to a score of zero.

But look at the absolute risk where the upper left diagram is for a zero score, upper right for between 1 and 100, lower left for 100-300, and lower right for over 300. Gives a very different picture, doesn't it?

calcium.jpg

I plan to be mowing my lawn and shoveling snow for a while yet, don't worry. And I don't think 63 is that old. I used the word "still" in my comment because W2R had said that she felt guys over 50-55 should probably not be mowing lawns.

+1

A few days ago I did some mainenance work on my deck. Nothing skilled just a lot of elbow work to get the thing in shape for the summer. I divided the deck into 6 sections. After each section I took a 5+ minute breather. I suffered no heart attacks or other serious problems, just a few sore muscles that normally don't get used that much. :)

I find that as I grow older, a sensible realization of my limitations combined with pacing and other adjustments keeps me doing most of what I always did, albeit a bit slower. A few things I have given up, but, when I think about it, sleeping in a tiny tent on the top of Mt. Icensleet was not that fun.

Okay it is only cleaning the house and laundry for me, but still I pace myself....

I plan to be mowing my lawn and shoveling snow for a while yet, don't worry. And I don't think 63 is that old. I used the word "still" in my comment because W2R had said that she felt guys over 50-55 should probably not be mowing lawns.

Just kidding with you. ;)

Thanks for the info provided. I am a type II diabetic with about 2/3 chance of future heart issues. I chose to go on insulin (rather than pills) and am very stable with an insulin pump. Medicare Part B pays for most of my insulin and supplies as long as I go to an endocrinologist every 3 months. With the pump, I can eat pretty normally.

I like to think of myself as a young 68, moving like a man 20 years younger. My exercise is cutting grass and I have been building something most of the last 10 years. I am beginning a new 4 car garage next week, but it is going to be my last heavy project. While in good shape, I do plan on slowing down dramatically this Fall.

Now if I can get my daughter to step in and mow my lake house grass, I will have it made. My father stopped mowing that steep hillside at age 79.

Thanks for the info provided. I am a type II diabetic with about 2/3 chance of future heart issues. I chose to go on insulin (rather than pills) and am very stable with an insulin pump. Medicare Part B pays for most of my insulin and supplies as long as I go to an endocrinologist every 3 months. With the pump, I can eat pretty normally.

I like to think of myself as a young 68, moving like a man 20 years younger. My exercise is cutting grass and I have been building something most of the last 10 years. I am beginning a new 4 car garage next week, but it is going to be my last heavy project. While in good shape, I do plan on slowing down dramatically this Fall.

Now if I can get my daughter to step in and mow my lake house grass, I will have it made. My father stopped mowing that steep hillside at age 79.

as long as you don't stop mowing like my super fit uncle did ..

it took two hours to get curious what he was doing, taking so long ( he died of a heart attack while on the ride-on mower , but the mower was fully fueled and the area big enough for wide circles )

may your health not deteriorate ,

cheers

As far as exercise, no one should do exercise they are untrained for, particularly heart patients. Full disclosure: the first discomfort I felt was on a power walk a few days before. It was not nearly as intense and I allowed myself to think it was due to my fast pace. But it sensitized me to the issue, since it was the classic exercise discomfort that fades at rest.

Monetecfo - if you don't care to answer this, I understand, but I thought I'd ask, since your reply may benefit others who are wondering if there is any way to know what their risk of CHD may be, and possibly how to avoid having a heart attack. Did you have annual blood tests prior to the heart events you described? If so, were there any warning signs (that either your doctor or you noted) from that information? From what I understand, the triglyceride/HDL ratio, in particular, is a good predictor of future mortality due to CHD. For that reason (among others), I have an annual round of blood tests done, and I monitor that ratio and a few other things pretty closely. I'm just wondering if you do the same? You mentioned that you were a pretty active, healthy guy, and I try to stay active as well (and watch my diet), but if I saw an indication that my blood test numbers were deteriorating, I know I would probably make some further lifestyle and diet changes to head off potential problems (and probably get the Calcium artery scan done as well). I know that sometimes things still happen despite the lack of warning signs, but I still think monitoring certain things may be helpful in many cases. Thanks..........

Monetecfo - if you don't care to answer this, I understand, but I thought I'd ask, since your reply may benefit others who are wondering if there is any way to know what their risk of CHD may be, and possibly how to avoid having a heart attack. Did you have annual blood tests prior to the heart events you described? If so, were there any warning signs (that either your doctor or you noted) from that information? From what I understand, the triglyceride/HDL ratio, in particular, is a good predictor of future mortality due to CHD. For that reason (among others), I have an annual round of blood tests done, and I monitor that ratio and a few other things pretty closely. I'm just wondering if you do the same? You mentioned that you were a pretty active, healthy guy, and I try to stay active as well (and watch my diet), but if I saw an indication that my blood test numbers were deteriorating, I know I would probably make some further lifestyle and diet changes to head off potential problems (and probably get the Calcium artery scan done as well). I know that sometimes things still happen despite the lack of warning signs, but I still think monitoring certain things may be helpful in many cases. Thanks..........
Rae-

I am under the care of well regarded cardiologists and have been for the past 12+ years. They are happy with my cholesterol triglycerides etc. I have not gotten the calcium scan but have discussed that with my dr and the feeling was it was somewhat ambiguous, since major risk is with soft material that can break free and clog, not with calcified material. I get blood tests at least annually.

My atomic stress test in Feb was clean. Sadly, coronary artery disease defies prediction and even detection in many cases.

Warning signs to me would include unexplained changes such as getting winded more easily, which suggests reduced cardiac capacity. Paying attention to chest pains and not being a hero is important.

Fitness is helpful, but is no guarantee of avoiding this problem, as we all have read reports of highly fit people who succumb to heart attacks. Genetics plays a huge role. My father had heart disease. He was a sedentary smoker, I am not, but that did not insulate me.

We.must control those things we can control. In most cases that will make a difference.

I plan to be mowing my lawn and shoveling snow for a while yet, don't worry. And I don't think 63 is that old.

That's what I thought too, until I was 64 and had two stents put in.:LOL: Now I pay a guy to mow the grass and gave the lawn mowers to DW's nephew.

to the OP: listening to your body was brilliant. because many people, including myself, have a very difficult time with that (2 stents here and a HA in 2004). congratulations on saving your life!

to the OP: listening to your body was brilliant. because many people, including myself, have a very difficult time with that (2 stents here and a HA in 2004). congratulations on saving your life!
Thanks Timo2!
Feeling great.

I encourage everyone to get their lipid panels, listen to your body, stay active, and be an advocate for your own health.

That's what I thought too, until I was 64 and had two stents put in.:LOL: Now I pay a guy to mow the grass and gave the lawn mowers to DW's nephew.
Still mow, but gave up the snow shovel (snowbirding now) and have quit moving heavy furniture, etc. I tell anyone who asks that my goal is not to have my tombstone engraved with "What was I thinking?".

Thanks Timo2!
Feeling great.

I encourage everyone to get their lipid panels, listen to your body, stay active, and be an advocate for your own health.

Yeah, I honestly feel that all men over 50 should have annual visit with a cardiologist. Would have saved me a ton of grief.

Back
Top Bottom