New Blood Pressure Guidelines

I get terrible readings at the doctor's - all over the map. The last couple were in the low 120s. But I've sometimes had much higher. Some visits I'm anxious due to a medical issues or waiting to hear test results. Most of the time it's super rushed and right after you've walked down the hall and during questions!

DH called it "white coat syndrome" and also measured his BP at home, where it was noticeably lower. I get mine checked when I donate blood monthly, so it's under calmer circumstances with the same equipment every time.

DH called it "white coat syndrome" and also measured his BP at home, where it was noticeably lower. I get mine checked when I donate blood monthly, so it's under calmer circumstances with the same equipment every time.

Yes - White Coat Syndrome is the common name for it. It could be called "rushing you around at the doctor's" syndrome because a lot of it is the result of poor protocols. But of course they don't have 5 minutes for each patient to sit quietly undisturbed.

But yep - I've got my handy monitor and my history.

I have white coat syndrome big time. Like many, I keep tabs with an Omron at home. I typically read in the 130's/80 even though I exercise regularly, eat well and maybe a bit excess of wine. Couldn't resist this one:

Doctor #1: What are you operating on Patient Smith for?

Doctor #2: Oh, about $3,800.

Doctor #1: No. I mean, what's he got?

Doctor #2: $3,800

I got serious HBP at 50 but it runs in my family. I was a healthy weight and exercising a lot. So I went on meds. However, at times my cholesterol will get high but I will not take meds. I think you have to use common sense and the fact that they keep lowering the guidelines is ridiculous. Pretty soon everyone will have something.

I am shocked -- shocked, do you hear me? -- at the level of skepticism I find around here. :angel:

A short history of medicine.

I have an earache:

2000 BC Here, eat this root.

1000 AD That root is heathen. Here, say this prayer.

1850 AD That prayer is superstition. Here, drink this potion.

1940 AD That potion is snake oil. Here, swallow this pill.

1985 AD That pill is ineffective. Here, take this antibiotic.

2000 AD That antibiotic is artificial. Here, eat this root.

No change in my plans. I will continue to keep my numbers reasonable and avoid the pills if possible. My 72 year old Dr is on the same page.

Bear in mind that lifestyle changes can work for some people. DH a few years ago had high blood pressure, clearly in the range that needed medication. And, he took medication. But, he was overweight and worked to lose weight. After he lost about 30 pounds, he quit taking one medication. By the time he had lost about 75 pounds, he was able to stop taking all medications as his blood pressure was normal. He still tests it regularly at home, but it is fine now.

Losing 5-10 pounds dropped my blood pressure from often in the low 130s to almost always below 110. The doctor's office it usually reads higher, but my home readings saw a huge improvement.

I had lost more and gained some back, but my BP is still down there.

I'm going to continue to follow my personal medical plan, which consists of enjoying myself to the extent that whatever kills me does it quickly. Hopefully a good while from now, but that's not the primary goal.

This news would drive my BP up, if I gave a damn.

None of the articles I read discuss the magic NNT number.

NNT= Numbers Needed to Treat.

I thank Rich in Tampa, ahem, By the bay discussing it long ago.

In other news, I will do a two hour Argentine Tango class tonight. Some of the ladies have a definite upward effect on my BP.

Last edited:
Losing 5-10 pounds dropped my blood pressure from often in the low 130s to almost always below 110. The doctor's office it usually reads higher, but my home readings saw a huge improvement.

I had lost more and gained some back, but my BP is still down there.

In the last 6 years I've gone from an average of 130/78 up to 138/80. But I'm pretty slim although I have put on about 2 pounds in that time.

I don't think weight is the answer for me. I'm running something like 15 to 20 miles per week and do modest weights at the gym. Perhaps genetic?

In the last 6 years I've gone from an average of 130/78 up to 138/80. But I'm pretty slim although I have put on about 2 pounds in that time.

I don't think weight is the answer for me. I'm running something like 15 to 20 miles per week and do modest weights at the gym. Perhaps genetic?

Might try a few weeks of cutting back on the running. The only time my BP crept up was about 15 yrs ago when I was doing mass quantities of aerobics.

As soon as I stopped that, a few weeks later BP went back to normal 110/65

Ran the experiment a few times. You might need more time off between workouts OR lighter workouts

my mom is 88 and sometimes her BP goes over 200/130; done that for years

Same with my mom, age and BP. She's had to go to the emergency room a couple times over the years because of spontaneous nosebleeds in the middle of the night, but that's about it.

Might try a few weeks of cutting back on the running. The only time my BP crept up was about 15 yrs ago when I was doing mass quantities of aerobics.

As soon as I stopped that, a few weeks later BP went back to normal 110/65

Ran the experiment a few times. You might need more time off between workouts OR lighter workouts
I have seen a few times where the numbers were better during a very low activity day. I'll check it out, thanks.

My guess is that if you are not overweight, then it's something else.

I was somewhat overweight, and still am slightly overweight by BMI measures. I'd need to lose another 5 pounds to get under 25.

Here's something purely anecdotal--years ago I took a yoga class (and since then have taken maybe 3 yoga classes) and after the class I went home.

I made a mental note to myself of how calm I felt. Now I'm one who doesn't go for new age ideas, but feeling so relaxed, I thought I'd check my BP. It was 90/60. My BP is never 90/60. It just fascinated me that one yoga class could do that to my BP.

I have in my notes to set a goal of watching a 5 minute yoga video on youtube. I'll try it and see what happens.

While in high school I aspired to attend the Air Force Academy and be involved in the pilot/navigator program. After a physical at Wright Patterson AFB, was rejected because of my height, I was 6"5" at that time. Also, they noticed my BP was 130/90 and suggested that I had it monitored for 60 days. My school nurse was more than happy to oblige.
My DM served breakfast everyday for us 4 children, but on MWF, she always served us an egg dish, scrambled, fried, waffles, french toast, pancakes, and on THSS, we had hot or cold cereal. On the days I had eggs, my BP was 130/90, the days I had cereal, my BP was 115/80. Go figure.
I eventually got disqualified for any flight training at AFA because of my 6'5" height because as the flight surgeon put it, " We can't guarantee what 4" you'll lose when you pull the ejector seat in an emergency.
Ironic that I went from becoming a flyboy to an underground coal mine engineer. Regardless, I was able to FIRE at 56.

So I see that the new BP guidelines are only for "at risk" people. For the non-at-risk people the guidelines did not change. See https://www.npr.org/sections/health...uidelines-do-you-have-high-blood-pressure-now

No I don't think that's right, the article said it was for everyone according to the article linked in the OP.
Anyone with blood pressure higher than 130/80 will be considered to have hypertension, or high blood pressure, the American Heart Association and American College of Cardiology said in releasing their new joint guidelines.
Hmmmm - the NPR article says differently:
If you have heart disease, chronic kidney disease or diabetes, then your target now for systolic blood pressure has moved down to 130 and for diastolic blood pressure to 80. Same goes if your 10-year risk of having a heart attack or stroke is greater than 10 percent (determined by a calculator found here).

Last edited:
Importantly, they did not change the standard for low-risk individuals.
is what I read in the NPR article.

Also in the article were some comments about how individuals don't like to be told what to do by their doctors which echoes some of the comments in this thread.

is what I read in the NPR article.

Also in the article were some comments about how individuals don't like to be told what to do by their doctors which echoes some of the comments in this thread.

OK, I see the NBC article clearly overstates it - well no, as it turns out. You just won't need drug therapy unless you are in the ASCVD risk above 10%

However, I also notice that the "at risk" part is age related, and once you get to a certain age for men you are considered at risk no matter anything else.

Last edited:
From the article:

Among all Americans, another analysis suggests that more than 100 million have it.

A third of the whole population. Buy g/d drug stocks!

And none of this including that calculator in the article, includes anything medical. It's all statistical. Anybody gets killed or harmed by "the cure" and it's "Our hands are clean! Everybody does it! Besides we lowered your risk! (Not a provable assertion.) Btw, I'm a doctor. You gotta pay me anyway.

I have white coat syndrome big time. Like many, I keep tabs with an Omron at home. I typically read in the 130's/80 even though I exercise regularly, eat well and maybe a bit excess of wine. Couldn't resist this one:

Doctor #1: What are you operating on Patient Smith for?

Doctor #2: Oh, about $3,800.

Doctor #1: No. I mean, what's he got?

Doctor #2: $3,800

Nice one! Can I use it? :)

Back
Top Bottom