53, high blood pressure

My doctor p*ssed me off by giving me a diagnosis of hypertension when I went in for antibiotics for a sinus infection.

My BP was higher than normal, but I'd been taking 12-hour Sudafed (the real stuff...here they make you scan your ID) for several days straight in an effort to keep my sinuses clear.

Bought a BP monitor after that...BP tests fine at home...to be fair I probably also suffer from "white coat syndrome" when getting BP tested in a doctor's office.

Interesting. I looked at a few papers. Seems phlebotomy has been tried for Chronic Mountain Sickness (CMS) with some short term success. The problem of course is that hemoglobin will return to previous level over the course of a few weeks. Unless one develops iron deficiency which would introduce a new set of issues. It looked like the only real solution for the small group of individuals who developed CMS (apparently less than 5%) was to move and live at lower altitude. Not always practical of course. Athlete-level exercise seemed to be somewhat beneficial in preventing CMS. I'm not suggesting that you have CMS but it was interesting to learn a bit about.

Interesting, since I am a regular platelet donor at the local Red Cross center (so I get free phlebotomies as that's how they extract the platelets).

The Red Cross will let you donate platelets every 7 days, up to 24 times a year. So, that might be a solution for some - a win win.

Sorry for the shameless plug for donating platelets. The Red Cross has a constant need for more platelet donors, since platelets are in high demand for cancer patients.

I don't see where OP actually gave their numbers, so not sure what is up.

In my case, I went in for some routine vaccinations to travel abroad, and my numbers were something like 190/100. Doc said get to your PCP ASAP before you travel. PCP put me on generic Lotensin. Numbers now are normally 135/75 +/-. Not low, but not high.

Interesting, since I am a regular platelet donor at the local Red Cross center (so I get free phlebotomies as that's how they extract the platelets).

The Red Cross will let you donate platelets every 7 days, up to 24 times a year. So, that might be a solution for some - a win win.

Sorry for the shameless plug for donating platelets. The Red Cross has a constant need for more platelet donors, since platelets are in high demand for cancer patients.
Thanks for donating! And anyone who is O-neg should get out there too!

Platelet donation is usually done by using a special technique called plateletpheresis in which the platelets are removed but the other blood components, including the iron-rich red blood cells, and plasma are returned to the donor as the procedure occurs. There would be no significant change in blood volume or hemoglobin unlike when one donates whole blood as is the usual technique when donating.

Last edited:
Thanks for donating! And anyone who is O-neg should get out there too!

Platelet donation is usually done by using a special technique called plateletpheresis in which the platelets are removed but the other blood components, including the iron-rich red blood cells, and plasma are returned to the donor as the procedure occurs. There would be no significant change in blood volume or hemoglobin unlike when one donates whole blood as is the usual technique when donating.

Actually, the Red Cross does believe some iron is lost during the platelet extraction -

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/blood-donation-process/before-during-after/iron-blood-donation/iron-informationforfrequentdonors.html

From the article - "Donating blood and platelets removes iron from your body. Iron is an essential mineral that is a part of hemoglobin which helps maintain your strength and energy. Your body needs iron to make new blood cells, replacing the ones lost through blood donations.

To help maintain healthy iron levels, the American Red Cross recommends that individuals who donate blood and platelets frequently should take an iron supplement or a multivitamin with iron. Before taking an iron supplement or multivitamin, you should consult with your health-care provider. "

This is a separate study on the issue -

https://ashpublications.org/blood/article/122/21/1155/103487/Evidence-Of-Relative-Iron-Deficiency-in-Apheresis

From the article - "Taken together, this pilot study for the first time demonstrates evidence of iron restricted erythropoiesis in frequent apheresis platelet donors. An analysis of iron- and erythropoiesis-related parameters in a broader population of frequent platelet donors (i.e. male and female, white and non-white donors) may demonstrate a potential utility of iron replacement." .

I'm familiar with this issue since I have had low ferritin levels, though my hemoglobin levels always test normal at the Red Cross center before donations.

My mom's been on BP meds since I was a kid. She took two meds, one of which was a diuretic. The doctor took her off the diuretic a few years ago but she still takes amlodipine. A couple years ago when she'd been skipping the med and I had to take her to a clinic for something else, her systolic came in at 180. We ended up spending several hours at the clinic until it came down because they were afraid she'd have a stroke.

Anyways, she's 91 and still kicking arse in many respects. Her systolic is typically around 130.

My doctor p*ssed me off by giving me a diagnosis of hypertension when I went in for antibiotics for a sinus infection.

My BP was higher than normal, but I'd been taking 12-hour Sudafed (the real stuff...here they make you scan your ID) for several days straight in an effort to keep my sinuses clear.

Bought a BP monitor after that...BP tests fine at home...to be fair I probably also suffer from "white coat syndrome" when getting BP tested in a doctor's office.

I tested high in the office a couple times, and my doctor just had me take measurements at different times of the day for a couple weeks, which came back consistently lower. I started exercising a lot more and lost quite a bit of weight, and my blood pressure has been even lower. So, it's just one more motivating factor to keep up my exercise routine and watch my diet.

I am on Lisinopril at 39. Family history, stressful job (dual working parents with young kids), had gained weight, and drank plenty of caffeine and alcohol.

I feel extremely weird when my BP gets high, so I will stick with the BP mess until I can take some time off work and try a new low stress lifestyle.

It’s the food. Eat more whole plants.

Eat less meat, fish, dairy of all kinds, eggs and processed junk.

Switch to water, sparkling water, decaf green tea and decaf coffee.

The pill will make it seem you can be ok enough with no real changes.

Many with high blood pressure have no particular conditions to warrant it. My 76YO mother has been on meds since her 50s. She maintains a healthy weight, eats sensibly & is fairly active. I just went on meds within the last year as well, also in my 50s.
She & her 93YO sister both have high cholesterol but cannot tolerate meds. My 93YO aunt is petite & thin, also fairly active & eats sensibly.
My mother is an RN & based on anecdotal evidence from her years of working with patients, says she believes that some of us are just pre-disposed to high blood pressure or high cholesterol...and sometimes it does not greatly impact one's health.
Again--this is just OUR situation. Everyone should see their doctor for consultation.

On beta blockers since about age 50. Doc seems to not worry about "why" as long as it's under control. Early 50s is NOT unheard of for significant HBP on set, but YMMV.

When I was about 55 I went to see my Primary Care Doctor about a Lipoma on the back of my head. After the normal weight and blood pressure triage before seeing the doctor, I thought they were all going to have a stroke over my blood pressure numbers. I just remember it was some very large numbers. Doc refused to even discuss the Lipoma until my blood pressure was under control.

That was about 12 years ago. I've been on minimal Liprosil/HCTZ since then. I dropped 25 lbs or so and took up running. For the past 8 years I run 5 days per week pretty religiously at least 3.5 miles. For a few years I was doing 5 to 7 miles/day but the weight drop was too dramatic. Still can't get off the blood pressure meds.

My Dad, Mom, younger brother all had same issue as did my grandparents. Hard to fight genetics.

Curious about your experiences around high blood pressure. I'm only 53 and otherwise in very good health, but last week my Dr started treating me for hypertension.

There is some family history on my mom's side, but generally they all went on medication in their late 60s or 70s.

I had Covid last March and got over it pretty quickly ("mild" symptoms but definitely not your average flu!), but have never felt quite right since. I've occasionally had a pounding heart and the feeling of high blood pressure. I thought it was due to stress and/or drinking too much booze here & there during lockdown etc. I see a cognitive therapist and have struggled with anxiety as well, so I'm fairly accustomed to my patterns around that. This just feels different.

My job HAS been incredibly stressful over the past year, so maybe it's just the wake up call I need to finally leave, but I can't help thinking this is very odd--again, given my age.

Thoughts & experiences?

Are you taking anti anxiety meds? If so have you stopped taking them as prescribed or changed medications? I know when I did I felt like I was having heart problems. Once I went back on them regularly things went back to normal.

As mentioned by others, sometimes it is just genetics.
Everything is under control for me except my LDL number. Just can't get this number under 100 without medicine.

My job HAS been incredibly stressful over the past year, so maybe it's just the wake up call I need to finally leave, but I can't help thinking this is very odd--again, given my age.

Thoughts & experiences?

Forgive me for possibly parsing your statement. I'm not a doctor, but life is full of stressors. Work stress, unless possibly excessive, in and of itself is likely not the cause of high blood pressure. 20 years ago I was overweight and inactive, with borderline high diastolic pressure. After losing significant amount of weight and regular exercise, it's been consistently 115/75 or so.
Research "DASH diet," which may help. Take a look at your current diet and exercise regimen, if any. Good luck.

Actually, the Red Cross does believe some iron is lost during the platelet extraction -

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donat...nation/iron-informationforfrequentdonors.html

From the article - "Donating blood and platelets removes iron from your body. Iron is an essential mineral that is a part of hemoglobin which helps maintain your strength and energy. Your body needs iron to make new blood cells, replacing the ones lost through blood donations.

To help maintain healthy iron levels, the American Red Cross recommends that individuals who donate blood and platelets frequently should take an iron supplement or a multivitamin with iron. Before taking an iron supplement or multivitamin, you should consult with your health-care provider. "

This is a separate study on the issue -

https://ashpublications.org/blood/a...ence-Of-Relative-Iron-Deficiency-in-Apheresis

From the article - "Taken together, this pilot study for the first time demonstrates evidence of iron restricted erythropoiesis in frequent apheresis platelet donors. An analysis of iron- and erythropoiesis-related parameters in a broader population of frequent platelet donors (i.e. male and female, white and non-white donors) may demonstrate a potential utility of iron replacement." .

I'm familiar with this issue since I have had low ferritin levels, though my hemoglobin levels always test normal at the Red Cross center before donations.
You'll notice that in the study, all of the values in both groups were well within the normal limits. There may be a small amount of iron loss but nothing like donating PRBC and if I were a male who ate a normal diet, I wouldn't be taking an iron supplement in this situation. Too much iron is not good for us and I'd be happy to have that little bit skimmed off. The Red Cross also says to consult with HCP before taking an iron supplement in this situation and I don't imagine many would be telling males with the typical American diet to be taking an iron supplement unless there was some other reason and even then not until they were worked up for the anemia.

Last edited:
Forgive me for possibly parsing your statement. I'm not a doctor, but life is full of stressors. Work stress, unless possibly excessive, in and of itself is likely not the cause of high blood pressure. 20 years ago I was overweight and inactive, with borderline high diastolic pressure. After losing significant amount of weight and regular exercise, it's been consistently 115/75 or so.
Research "DASH diet," which may help. Take a look at your current diet and exercise regimen, if any. Good luck.

Thanks. I have a good diet and—with the exception of the past year being a little difficult to keep up due to no gym etc—stay very active & fit and have healthy BMI. Dr said it’s most likely genetic.

My mom has always criticized my cooking for not having enough salt!

Anyway we’ll see how it goes. Meds are definitely working.

Many factors elevate BP:

Genetics and age***
Sleep deprivation (related to job stress, for example)***
Salt intake (only a problem if you have elevated BP. Can be mitigated some by drinking lots of water at the time of salt intake)
Alcohol-this was a big problem for me. I am now avoiding even a single glass of wine, and it has made a significant difference.**
Weight.
Diet? Some have reported dropping BP with low carb. My BP dropped 20 points within three months of going low carb in 2019. If I ate the DASH diet I would gain 25 lbs in a few months. Try different things and monitor. YMMV.***
I bought a Welch Allyn home BP monitor which syncs with my smart phone. Very useful-can check my own BP under different situations. $100 or so.
*** things that affected my BP

Some people develop high BP in their 20s. Finding it in your 50s isn't young.

Many factors elevate BP:

Genetics and age***
Sleep deprivation (related to job stress, for example)***
Salt intake (only a problem if you have elevated BP. Can be mitigated some by drinking lots of water at the time of salt intake)
Alcohol-this was a big problem for me. I am now avoiding even a single glass of wine, and it has made a significant difference.**
Weight.
Diet? Some have reported dropping BP with low carb. My BP dropped 20 points within three months of going low carb in 2019. If I ate the DASH diet I would gain 25 lbs in a few months. Try different things and monitor. YMMV.***
I bought a Welch Allyn home BP monitor which syncs with my smart phone. Very useful-can check my own BP under different situations. $100 or so.
*** things that affected my BP

Some people develop high BP in their 20s. Finding it in your 50s isn't young.

I was reading an article yesterday where they locked up the participants and few them either low-carb or low-fat for two weeks, then switched diets.

Apparently people ate fewer calories on the low-fat diet...but insulin levels on the low-fat diet were "through the roof."

Last edited:
I was reading an article yesterday where they locked up the participants and few them either low-carb or low-fat for two weeks, then switched diets.

Apparently people ate fewer calories on the low-fat diet...but their insulin levels "shot up to high heaven"...

With studies that look at low fat vs low carb diets, the devil is in the details. When they say "low carb" it usually works out to being merely lower than the typical diet, not truly low carb. So the results are often rather suspect IMHO. You might want to look at whatever you were reading to verify the actual daily carb intake.

I have had elevated BP,for years and my doctor said not to,worry. Then he died of a heart attack. Now I have the full meal deal. Tachycardia and AFIB, high cholesterol, hyper hydrosis all being treated without stents or pacemakers.

My pharmacist loves me.

I always thought since my job was stressful that is what caused my high BP. I have found out that isn't true. My job may have been a contributing factor at the time, but I do not think it was the cause of my high BP. I don't miss my job at all so I never think about it anymore. I just have high BP, that's all there is to it.

My high BP continued in the years after I retired. I retired in 2016. It's just the way it is. I can't tell you why. So I take my medication, keep alcohol consumption very low, and monitor my BP on a regular basis . I accept my high BP for what it is.

Last edited:
Not surprising results

With studies that look at low fat vs low carb diets, the devil is in the details. When they say "low carb" it usually works out to being merely lower than the typical diet, not truly low carb. So the results are often rather suspect IMHO. You might want to look at whatever you were reading to verify the actual daily carb intake.

Low fat--so were they required to limit fat only but free for all in carbs?
Low carb--not knowing what they had to keep carbs at is the question.
Keto is usually below 20.
Atkins starts at below 25 but works up.
South Beach which has been touted as low-carb allows 28% of diet to be carbs which can be up to 140g of carbs.
But "normal" recommended diets are 225-325g of diet.

Definitely need more info!

Since losing 32 pounds and cutting out alcohol I now only need one BP medication. My son lost 25lbs, gave up alcohol and caffeine and is 47. His weight is perfect and he exercises daily. He still needs his BP medication.

Back
Top Bottom