New Medical Problem

JOHNNIE36

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Went a couple weeks ago to my orthopedic surgeon to discuss my difficulity in walking. Developed this problem after having knee replacement surgery last October. Don't know that there is a correlation but after the knee replacement, I thought I would be home free and able to get around like I always did. Anyway, orthopedic surgeon took xrays of my hip area and didn't see anything earthshaking, like having to have a hip replacement. He sent me for an MRI of my lower back and the results came back last Thursday. Diagnosis is spinal stenosis, which is a deterioration of the spinal column. This is causing pressure on the sciatic nerve and creating the pain.

Anybody have experience with this stenosis? I'm just starting to gather some information off the web. The result of the MRI was presented to me by a physicians assistant who I don't think wanted to get too involved in making any serious recommendations at that time. He did want to refer me to a spinal group in the area but told him I wanted to research this first so I know what I'm talking about.

Went a couple weeks ago to my orthopedic surgeon to discuss my difficulity in walking...

Anybody have experience with this stenosis? I'm just starting to gather some information off the web. The result of the MRI was presented to me by a physicians assistant who I don't think wanted to get too involved in making any serious recommendations at that time. He did want to refer me to a spinal group in the area but told him I wanted to research this first so I know what I'm talking about.
Sorry, Johnnie. The presence of spinal canal narrowing on MRI is not always associated or diagnostic of clinical spinal stenosis. Sometimes a neurologist or neurosurgeon can help your orthopedist sort that out.

In any case, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom