Join Early Retirement Today

New Prostate Cancer treatments under test
Old 04-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Prostate Cancer treatments under test

I noticed DNDN stock was up, and when I checked it was about successful trials of their Prostate Cancer vaccine. When I looked around, I found another potential PC treatment in testing, with nano particles and heat. The next 5-10 years or so are going to be exciting.

The Associated Press: Company says prostate cancer vaccine shows promise
Treatment that kills tumours with heat could provide prostate cancer cure - Telegraph
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

As a cancer survivor, (bladder cancer) the most important thing men could do is have a prostate exam every year! Unless detected early, surgery may be the only recourse. I , was 55 when I went to my doctor with prostate problems, but with inconclusive results, an MRI was performed. I'm cancer free now. But, an earlier check up might have detected the cancer before surgery was necessary. The exam is so very very important, and is performed in your doctors office. Mine had reached an advanced stage, so these medications would not have worked.
When I was undergoing chemo, I was saddened to see the "kids" that had other forms of cancer. One young man was my daughters age, (we were asked our birthdays as a way to verify that we were receiving the right medication). So much needs to be done in all fields of cancer research. Our Universities, Duke, UCLA, all of them are doing such valuable research. I only hope that we give them all the support we can. If just one man reads this story, and gets a prostate exam, I'll be happier than a lark.
KennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #3

I caught wind of DNDN in 07 just before the FDA turned down the application for approval of Provenge. I had invested in the company and pretty much lost everything I put in, or expected to. I figured there was such a small amount left in I'd just leave it and see what happens. All I can say is WOOOO-HOOOOO. I sold this morning and recaptured all of my stock investment losses since 06. My money will now start a migration out of individual stocks (I found I really stink at picking them) and go into mutual funds.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
I noticed DNDN stock was up, and when I checked it was about successful trials of their Prostate Cancer vaccine. When I looked around, I found another potential PC treatment in testing, with nano particles and heat. The next 5-10 years or so are going to be exciting.

The Associated Press: Company says prostate cancer vaccine shows promise
Treatment that kills tumours with heat could provide prostate cancer cure - Telegraph
We may all profit or loose from the stock-market! I only wish to repeat myself when again, I tell everyone this, "prostate exams". The underling message that I argue is exam. If you catch it early, then the medication might help in treating the cancer. But, unless you get the exam, it'll grow to an advanced stage, and all the medications on earth may not save you. I've been there.
KennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #5

I believe that the latter article is the more exciting of the two. Chemotherapy regimens have substantial side effects. Surgical intervention to remove tumors also carry significant risks, particularly in critical organs such as the liver, kidneys, pancreas, etc.... Non-invasive therapies that involve the targeting of tumors with nano particles and then heating them until they are "dead" are the future of cancer medicine. A similar device is being developed in the U.S. (Kanzius machine) that uses gold nano particles melded to cancer-seeking chemotherapy drugs, which are then heated using radio waves.

Why do I know all this? Because unfortunately my father is suffering from colon cancer and these treatments can't come fast enough.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote