Night Guard for Teeth Grinding

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I went to my dentist today for a regular teeth cleaning and exam.

When the dentist did the exam, he said that I have a chipped tooth and should set up an appointment to fix that. Plus, we an talk about a night guard.

I did notice my top reach left tooth seemed rough as that's the one that is chipped (probably from teeth grinding when I sleep).

I'm a bit bummed as the thought of a night guard, if that is like the retainer I had to wear, doesn't sound like any fun. :facepalm:

Do any here use a night guard, and if so, your thoughts?

Thanks.

Used them for 25 years. Without one I wouldn't have teeth.

There was a thread a while ago that may have talked or drifted into a discussion, but I haven't found it. Edit to add, here's that thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75724

If your a grinder, most of feel much better after a short adjustment period. There are many different types, styles and prices.

The cheapest are the sports gaurds like in any athletic store or Amazon. Twenty bucks or so, dip them in hot water and bite down. Cons are many folks don't like the feel. If your a heavy grinder like me, one might last 2 weeks.

Someone posted a link to an Amazon product. It was the mold the dentist office normally takes, you DIY the bite impression, send it back and a couple of weeks later they ship you the gaurd, made at a lab like dentist's use. There pretty cheap $120 or so. Only downside is if it doesn't fit perfectly how do you get it fixed. Here's a link to one similar on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dental-Lab-Professional-Experience-Satisfaction/dp/B00HES5W5Y

My preferred option is pay the dentist for them. They offer many different types, hardness and fitting. I've never had dental insurance pay any portion of the bill, my last one was $600. My dentist is up to speed with the lastest products and has 22 years of data on what types work best for me. I was even a test case for an new "industructible" product. I normally chew through one in exactly two years, the industructible one I split in pieces after two years.

I might have different thoughts if my bruxism wasn't as severe as it is. Anytime I sleep without mine, I'm in a great deal of pain. Best wishes.

Last edited:
I tend to clench mine rather than grind them and I have a bite guard made by my dentist- just the lower half. I'm pretty sure it was under $300 but that was maybe 7 years ago. It cut drown drastically on the number of cracked fillings, bridges, etc. Now I feel funny going to sleep without it. It's also barely visible when worn, in case you're self-conscious about how you look to a Significant Other who shares your bed.

I wore my teeth down for many years before it was figured out about 6 years ago--will need to spend the money to cap a few because of it. Have staved off the expenditure with the Cheap mouthguards mentioned by MRG--although I don't think they were even $20.

I use the simple "one side only" versions, just like I wore in football back in the day. For me, they've worked well and last at least a year each (maybe much longer, as I don't really recall ever biting through one).

I've used a cheap mold-able sports mouth guard for 35 years and I can't sleep without it (just doesn't feel right anymore). DW has one that the dentist made for about $400-ish and I can't see how it is any better.

I should have started wearing the guard sooner, though, as my front lower teeth are noticeably worn on the front side and the upper front teeth are worn on the back side, where it is can't be seen. The wear on the upper fronts has caused a weakening of the tooth lower edge and a corner has chipped. So, now I'm looking at a veneer or crown on that tooth. Bonding doesn't last on that surface.

My dentist tells me that using a cheap over the counter guard can actually make things worse by loosening teeth. Yes he has a bias but maybe it could be so if the guard didn't fit right.

My dentist tells me that using a cheap over the counter guard can actually make things worse by loosening teeth. Yes he has a bias but maybe it could be so if the guard didn't fit right.
Could be. The suggestion to use a sports guard was made originally by my former dentist and after 35 years, no loose teeth. YMMV.:biggrin:

Thanks for all the info.

I have a brother who is a terrible teeth grinder when sleeping.

How easy are they to clean? Is cleaning just a matter of putting some toothpaste on and brushing the night guards? Or more involved than that?

When I had a retainer during the implant, cleaning became a bit of a chore.

Going through this myself. Dentist offered a $600 night teeth guard.

I did some Internet research and found the outfit out in California I believe that manufactures these things for the dentists. They will sell direct to consumer for about $150. I believe they send you the same custom fitting kit that they send to the dentist.

I suspect someone else will chime in with the link to the site.

-gauss

I've been wearing a night guard for the last 7 years or so. The first guard lasted 5 years and it's still OK to take on trips in case I forget it and leave at some hotel. This was made of some plastic. The current one is made of silicone and I like it much better. I think if I didn't have insurance, it would have cost me around $300-$400, but I paid $200 with it almost 2 years ago.

How easy are they to clean? Is cleaning just a matter of putting some toothpaste on and brushing the night guards? Or more involved than that?

DW (who has a fancy one that fits on both top and bottom with a small breathing hole up front) uses toothbrush on it several times a week (don't think daily?). Then she soaks it in vinegar each weekend.

I'm pretty lazy. Basically run water over it each morning. When it starts looking gnarly, I'll brush it with toothbrush. Once a month or so, I soak it in a mild bleach solution, which does wonders.

Big believer in using a night gard, else I'd have no teeth. My dentist provides it (top teeth only) for about $250. Even if you pay full freight with a dentist, in my view it's worth the expense.

How timely! Two weeks ago I had my semi-annual dental cleaning and check. As Athena said, I don't grind I clench my teeth and apparently he noticed some structural fatigue and suggested a night guard.

Tuesday I had the mold made and will pick it up in 2 weeks. $394.00 . I don't think that is unreasonable or all that expensive for something I will get only a few times in my life. (Perhaps only once?)

If one has this problem of nighttime grinding or Jaw-jacking does the night guard improve sleep at all? Or does it just ameliorate wear and tear on the teeth?

...snip...

If one has this problem of nighttime grinding or Jaw-jacking does the night guard improve sleep at all? Or does it just ameliorate wear and tear on the teeth?

It does for me, without it I'll wake up several times a night with terrible jaw pain. Some may not notice as much, my dentist refers to me as a "severe grinder".

Far as cleaning I dunk mine in polident denture cleaner daily. Maybe hit with a brush once a week. Soak in hot water once a month pinch it, to keep it snug.

Thanks. To paraphrase Hyman Roth in Godfather II: I'd give two million dollars just to get a good night's sleep. I think being able to get consistently good sleep would add 10 years to my lifespan and up my energy levels beaucoup

I've worn one every night for at least 20 years. I think I've only had to replace it 3 times during all those years. The dentist made ones aren't cheap but well worth it. Wearing the guard is just part of my nightly routine; I hardly think about it. I brush it daily with tooth paste and take it in to my regular dentist exam/cleaning twice a year for cleaning.

I just plop a denture cleaning tablet in with mine in a little plastic case, every morning, and it stays clean and fresh.

If you aren't grinding your teeth you aren't paying attention!

I've had the same night guard for 10 years now. It was from the dentist and is for upper teeth only. I wear it about half the time but it seems to have retrained me on clenching at night. I wash it with soap and water in the morning and keep a designated tooth brush for that purpose. Mine is a clear material and I was told not to use toothpaste on it. About once a month I soak it with a denture cleaner. Twice a year I take it to my dentist apt to be put in their ultrasonic cleaner.

I have worn an acrylic night guard for the last 10 years, ever since I cracked a molar and had to have an extraction followed by an implant. I have gone to the same dentist for the last 23 years and do not have dental insurance. He has never charged me for night guards (he gives me a replacement about every 2 years). I have no problems wearing the guard. It is comfortable and I can't fall asleep now without it.

I wash it every morning with mild soap and hot water and soak it in hydrogen peroxide.

I wear an NTI brand night guard that is made of plastic and covers my two bottom middle teeth and a little of the next two teeth. This cost $600 over 5 years ago and when I called the insurance co. about it, they mentioned I could get it for $300 if I went to a dentist in my plan. Mentioned it to mine and he cut his price down to $300. To clean this, my instructions state use only water, but the plastic has yellowed over time. I use an waterpik oral flosser to clean it nightly and 'CleanGuard" tablets every 1-2 weeks to give it a better cleaning. My guard is a little bulky (shape like a small mushroom so it pushes my lip and tongue out more) and makes me leave my mouth open when I sleep so I get dry mouth and snore more with it. I asked my kid's orthodontist last year and they would happily make me a custom fit retainer for $300. I think this may be a smaller, better fit, but it definitely won't last as long. I see a few sellers offer mail in retainers on Amazon for around $99 and it looks like the same retainer from the orthodontist.

For cleaning my night gard, I disobey the instructions (who needs 'em?) and soak it in Listerine mouthwash for 30 seconds every morning -- I just pour some in the plastic night gard case, snap it shut, shake it once or twice and wait half a minute. Then I rinse it by putting tap water in the case and shaking and draining it. Done. Once a week I take a tooth brush to it. It's held up for years. And my teeth thank me -- look at this smile: :D

I have one that was made by my dentist for the top teeth. I have had it for approximately 9-10 years. Mine has yellowed also. I brush mine with toothpaste and use cleaning tablets for teeth every so often. I don't know what mine is made out of or remember how much it cost. If I forget to put mine in and I am almost asleep, I will get out of bed and get it. I don't want my teeth to start hurting again.

Mine is custom made from the periodontist in 2009. I gently brush it every morning without toothpaste, rinse it and dry it with a towel. Then it goes in it's little case. Once or twice a week I soak it for a while with a denture tablet then rinse it before use.

Mine is part hard plastic and then the part that is molded for the lower teeth is a softer plastic that softens in warm water. So before bed, I run it under warm water and then put it in. Both parts are clear (have yellowed a little) and between the soft layer and the hard layer is my name, just in case I forget!

Like others have said, mine is for clenching in my sleep. Before I got this I had one tooth that was being affected and it was getting loose. As soon as I started wearing the bite guard it went right back to being nice and tight. Well worth getting into the bite guard habit.

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't know a night guard was so common. The first time I really heard the term was today, then started "Googling" :)

My first guard lasted about nine years. My second guard only five. This third guard is only a year old and has already developed a pinhole.

Back
Top Bottom