gum grafts due to teeth grinding?

Gum health explained by the dental assistant:
Measurement: 1-3 you're good. 3-5 danger zone but gum health can be improved. 5+ getting serious. On my last visit, she said areas of my gums improved. They went from a 4 to a 3. I'm gently brushing them and using the serrated gum massager thing.

I have 11 crowns on the back upper and lower molars. I wonder if the crowns hold the teeth in place if I grind at night. I don't think crowns show grinding.

Why are you still going to the dentist who wanted to crown the wrong tooth?

This was scheduled in the fall, before the crown, and I just had not cancelled. When I found I was being laid off I tried to get into a new dentist but they were booked out until May (after my insurance ends), so I kept this assuming surely anyone could clean my teeth.

On my last visit I was told that I needed a gum graft. Dentist showed me the 'damage' on my gum (bottom front tooth).

While I can easily afford the procedure, ($1700), she went into the detail of cutting a piece of skin from my palate and sewing it onto the gum, adding: "it will be very painful for several days".

After that bit of information, I think I'm going to pass. I'm 71 years old; I just need it to hang in there for 15 or 20 years. If/when the tooth goes bad, I'd rather just do a post or a bridge. Had a post last year and it was a breeze.

I may cancel the consult with the perio (scheduled for end of April). Not really into new bouts of blood and pain.

Going tomorrow to see if they can be bothered to explain why my jaw hurts but not holding out much hope that they have a clue at this point.

How do you folks just get new dentists without waiting months? It does not appear to be a thing here.

Last edited:
Yep, periodontist says it is a thing I need. Apparently teeth get loose from grinding and then time to patch the gums. He said my dentist is very good as well even though I have not been impressed. Perio did say they don't cut any tissue out anymore, they use patches. 25 minutes to sew it up. However he won't do it if your blood pressure is too high on the day you show up or you bleed too much. IDK. I told them I'd think about it. At least now I understand why dentist checks blood pressure.

Last edited:
how is your mouthguard working out? still have jaw pain?

You sure have been through a lot lately!

Mouthguard is fine since they adjusted, thanks.

And yeah I have a doctor appt this morning for something else which should not be horrible but given my luck lately assuming it will be bad too!

Skipped gum grafts, the new dentist says I don't need them. Why aren't people just honest. . . .

My daughter once had her check up and cleaning done by her regular dentists partner when he was out sick. She was told she needed 3 fillings. When she went back to get the work done by her own dentist he said they were not needed and sent her home.
I complained about that partner 20 years ago and had my file marked that I never wanted to be seen by him again. He's a crook and he also gives me the creeps and always has. As it turned out I did need to see him a few years ago when I cracked a front tooth. He did not seem to want to attempt to save the tooth and told me I had no alternative but to get an implant for around $5000. I declined and waited for my dentist to get back from vacation. Unfortunately he couldn't save the tooth but suggested a new bridge for a lot less money and it works and looks great.

Back
Top Bottom