Obamacare premiums in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
The uncertainty of how premiums might increase in the first couple of years in addition to whether the "subsidy" program could be maintained is the primary reason why I am not considering ER until 2016 even though firecalc gives me a 100% success rate. Big difference in the long term before Medicare if premiums run $20K+ vs $4K a year!

This is my fear too. Premiums could go crazy or, possibly even worse, the ACA could be repealed and those with preexisting conditions become uninsurable again. Not a fun situation to be in just starting early retirement without group health insurance. :(

There is an easy explanation:

The Obamacare legislation "invited" all insurers to participate in the new exchanges. However, it did not dictate how much the insurer can charge. All the insurers did was reprice their policies based on the fact they have to take ALL pre-existing conditions (mandate), and its not too hard for a bunch of smart actuaries to figure out the price HAS to go up due to increased risk exposure. And, NOT ALL insurers decided to offer plans inside the exchanges.......so you have higher costs, due to a lower amount of competition and increased risk exposure.........not too hard to surmise the end result??
The OP was not complaining about the current prices being high. In fact they are not necessarily so - many folks were able to find a better deal compared to their old insurance. It was speculation about FUTURE prices going up in 2015 and beyond.

But since they had been going up fast anyway before the ACA law, who can honestly point at the new law as the main culprit?

This is my fear too. Premiums could go crazy or, possibly even worse, the ACA could be repealed and those with preexisting conditions become uninsurable again. Not a fun situation to be in just starting early retirement without group health insurance. :(

If by chance the ACA does get repealed, I think "pre-existing conditions" will be covered no matter what replaces it. In this great county of ours, we can surely find a way to provide medical coverage for everyone that needs it!

Mike

If by chance the ACA does get repealed, I think "pre-existing conditions" will be covered no matter what replaces it. In this great county of ours, we can surely find a way to provide medical coverage for everyone that needs it!

I think some of the provisions will prove too popular to repeal. That is one of them. I suspect keeping kids on the policy until age 26 is another, and perhaps the elimination of medical underwriting. The problem is that with the elimination of PEEs and medical underwriting, there has to be *some* "universal coverage" mechanism to make the numbers work, otherwise adverse selection would overwhelm the system.

I think we need to see what will happen when the penalty for being uninsured actually gets some teeth. Frankly if that is going to be the enforcement mechanism, seems to me the penalty should be roughly equal to the cost of the cheapest qualified Bronze policy to eliminate any incentive not to get insured to at least a minimum acceptable level. But they never asked me!

The OP was not complaining about the current prices being high. In fact they are not necessarily so - many folks were able to find a better deal compared to their old insurance. It was speculation about FUTURE prices going up in 2015 and beyond.

I would expect future prices to go up even steeper than before ACA. All those "young healthy people" needed to subsidize the unhealthy ones are NOT running to sign up.........and if that trend continues, the policies going forward will have to increase substantially..........;)

I wouldn't say it is impossible, but I agree that its is very difficult to "shop" and that is a problem with the system - you can't reasonably expect competitive pressures to rein in costs unless consumers can compare prices and services.
To toss a bit of "good news" into the thread, I've used a site called "goodrx.com" to honestly shop for good prescription prices! I would urge everyone to look-up the prescriptions they're taking (you do not need to even register on the site...just type in the name of the drug and your zip code).

Even if you have drug coverage, you might try it, because, well, the whole drug pricing thing is so whacky, you might find a lower price by ignoring your insurance and using this.

I don't have any drug coverage at all. I'm getting a 75% discount over what I would have paid without the goodrx coupon. I had to transfer my scrip from one pharmacy to another, so it's a pain, but it's hundreds of dollars in savings.

Yes, Prices, Coupons and Information - GoodRx has been mentioned before, with positive recommendations. I get our prescriptions printed and then take them in with the coupon. Two of them have even been processed at slightly below the coupon price. Very happy with the site.

Go ahead and make an account and then you can get email updates to your prescription prices and when you sign in all your Rxs are there with current prices and coupons.

We have Rx coverage but some of the prices through the insurance are 3 times what I pay using GoodRx.

Another piece of positive news, went in to a pain management guy today. Was expecting a occipital nerve block. We talked, I had no pain at the time. He said he'd go ahead and perform the procedure today if I insisted. His opinion let's wait, schedule an appointment for next week, do the things that make the pain worse the day before. I'll wait, rather not have the dose of steroids, if it won't help.

That said I don't know what the charges will be either way.
MRG

Mike

Agreed.
During the pre-ACA debate process, leading health reform proposals from both parties included this provision. And many states had such provisions in place prior to ACA implementation.

I would expect future prices to go up even steeper than before ACA. All those "young healthy people" needed to subsidize the unhealthy ones are NOT running to sign up.........and if that trend continues, the policies going forward will have to increase substantially..........;)

Your hypothesis is a popular one. But is it true?

This Kaiser analysis runs the numbers, concluding that insurer margins would be affected about 2% if the percentage of 18-34 y.o.'s signing up was 25% vs. their 40% representation in the pool of potential customers for exchange policies.

The reason? 20 y.o.'s only pay 1/3 the premiums of 60 y.o.'s.

From the perspective of keeping insurance premiums stable, how enrollment is distributed by health within each age group is, in fact, more important, since premiums cannot vary at all by health status under the ACA. In other words, the goal is to enroll healthy as well as sick young adults, and also healthy older adults. (Older adults are more likely to be sick than younger people, but that is mostly accounted for by the fact that premiums can vary by age.)

However, questions about health and pre-existing conditions are no longer asked on insurance applications, so we will not know for quite a while whether sicker people are enrolling at a higher rate than healthier people.
The Numbers Behind “Young Invincibles” and the Affordable Care Act | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Your hypothesis is a popular one. But is it true?

This Kaiser analysis runs the numbers, concluding that insurer margins would be affected about 2% if the percentage of 18-34 y.o.'s signing up was 25% vs. their 40% representation in the pool of potential customers for exchange policies.

The reason? 20 y.o.'s only pay 1/3 the premiums of 60 y.o.'s.

The Numbers Behind “Young Invincibles” and the Affordable Care Act | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

I've read this KFF study few times and still do not see how their assumptions & numbers reconcile. I've gone back to their source material- (from Soc of Actuaries). Plugging in their relative AG cost factors, AG relative premiums, & KFF's assumed drop on assumed "worst case" AG sign-up proportions I reach a significantly larger effect on global premiums. Even looked at simplistically, all agree that 18-34yo AG premiums are "profit" into the system (i.e. their HI premiums> their HC costs). How can a 50% decrease in "profit" group (25 vs 40% proportion of enrollments) only hurt the system's net by 2%?

The other big unknown is the relative health of Exchange population. It could be that overall Exchange population turns out to be healthier than predicted so HC costs & premiums could be less too. If the opposite is true, then 2015 premiums could get ugly.

I've read this KFF study few times and still do not see how their assumptions & numbers reconcile.

One answer could be that women in their twenties aren't the profit source that men are (due to pregnancy expenses), producing a relatively neutral profit profile for the age cohort as a whole? There is a reason the sign-up ads now running on television during the NCAA tournament are using male basketball stars...

Another reason is that there are reinsurance, risk corridor and risk adjustment features in the ACA. These factors are taken into account on the income side of insurer's pricing model. It's not just premiums.

This Milliman analysis crunches the numbers with the "3R's" in mind, finding some surprising results:
http://us.milliman.com/uploadedFiles/insight/2013/adverse-selection-aca.pdf

My source for both of links I provided:
Implementing Health Reform: A February Exchange Enrollment Report – Health Affairs Blog

I sweated the whole of 2013 wondering about the price increases in my wifes individual plan and whether we would be eligible for subsidy under obamacare. I am 67 and on medicare my wife is 62 and has an individual plan. our agi for 2012 was 46k and we were not eligible for subsidy, but my wifes individual plan, which we were happy with only increased by 15. a month. so a wholes years worry for nothing. you can speculate and check sources all you want but until the actual numbers become available you might as well not worry, because it does no good.

....... until the actual numbers become available you might as well not worry, because it does no good......

BINGO!!! All of us are hoping for pleasant surprises in 2015 premiums but only time will tell.

Clearly, predicting future premiums is tough since changing HHS implementation policies/reg's will have a major & unpredictable effect. That said, analyses being published on this are of disappointingly poor quality....some might say useful mainly as fertilizer. While the KFF piece is questionable, the Milliman analysis discredits itself in its own concluding remarks.
"The claims experience within MarketScan is derived from plans that do not necessarily conform to forthcoming ACA requirements, such as meeting prescribed actuarial value ranges and covering all essential health benefits mandated by each state." (emphasis added)

http://us.milliman.com/uploadedFiles/insight/2013/adverse-selection-aca.pdf

Since AVR's & coverage of EHB's are huge features of ACA, the relevance of this analysis to current ACA universe of HI is tenuous at best.

prescription savings

Yes, Prices, Coupons and Information - GoodRx has been mentioned before, with positive recommendations. I get our prescriptions printed and then take them in with the coupon. Two of them have even been processed at slightly below the coupon price. Very happy with the site.

Go ahead and make an account and then you can get email updates to your prescription prices and when you sign in all your Rxs are there with current prices and coupons.

We have Rx coverage but some of the prices through the insurance are 3 times what I pay using GoodRx.

While off-topic - reducing costs of healthcare prescriptions is important and we have found healthwarehouse.com to be lower than the goodrx coupons in the majority of cases - been using them exclusively for over 3 years now and never a problem! - I don't pay for the "tracking" and have never had a shipment go missing. They automatically send the reorders and their is an extra discount on those!

I'm currently under my MegaCorp health plan for retirees. I use their mail order prescription service. Next year I will go under Medicare. Will I then need to price shop prescriptions or is that part of a Medicare Part D plan?

Note that for many people using their insurance prescription or mail order program DOES NOT MEAN that you are paying the lowest cost for your prescriptions. Researching our group prescription plan I found out that we were paying more than double what we now pay without using our insurance prescription program. What's up with that logic?

We were always trained to think that since we could get prescriptions at a discounted rate through our insurance plan it would be the least expensive option. Turns out that at least in our families case that wasn't reality!

Note that for many people using their insurance prescription or mail order program DOES NOT MEAN that you are paying the lowest cost for your prescriptions. Researching our group prescription plan I found out that we were paying more than double what we now pay without using our insurance prescription program. What's up with that logic?

We were always trained to think that since we could get prescriptions at a discounted rate through our insurance plan it would be the least expensive option. Turns out that at least in our families case that wasn't reality!
All but one prescription are under $1 for 90 days supply including the mail. One is $30/mo. I think I will look into that one.

Our case as well. Mom's, that is. She was using Medco, last year we unexpectedly ran short and I needed to get a same day refill, which Medco can't so, so I used the local Target. Her typical copay went from $65 to $10. So I checked her other prescriptions, all are less expensive at Target. Medco no more...

There is zero, 0, 0.0000 chance ACA will be repealed and the old system will come back. What could happen is a gradual shift to a national health care system.

Name a large social program in the USA that has ever been repealed once implemented.

There is zero, 0, 0.0000 chance ACA will be repealed and the old system will come back. What could happen is a gradual shift to a national health care system.

Name a large social program in the USA that has ever been repealed once implemented.

Good points there. Thanks.

I agree that it won't be repealed to exactly the old system. That's silly.

I think there is a significantly greater than zero chance it will be "repealed." At which time, a new set of "reforms" will be enacted. Some of which could be a pretty significant change in direction.

It all depends on who is elected president in 2016 and what the congress looks like then.

...........I think there is a significantly greater than zero chance it will be "repealed." At which time, a new set of "reforms" will be enacted. Some of which could be a pretty significant change in direction.

Although there was a lot of gnashing of teeth over the implementation of the ACA, it would nothing compared to what would happen if people were suddenly tossed back into the uninsurable due to pre-existing situation that existed pre-ACA.

Although there was a lot of gnashing of teeth over the implementation of the ACA, it would nothing compared to what would happen if people were suddenly tossed back into the uninsurable due to pre-existing situation that existed pre-ACA.

Assuming even the unsubsidized policies offered through the exchanges were to disappear with the ACA, I would hate to have to choose betwen the old bare-bones policy I had before or the broader policy whose premiums rose 50% in 2 years (busting my budget) I had before. The ACA is a blessing for me.

Likely any replacement for the ACA, or major overhaul, would address the "preexisting" issue. Even the advocates for repeal know the preexisting issue must be addressed, possibly with a government subsidized high risk pool.

In passing the bill much was made of the "millions" with preexisting conditions who could not buy insurance due to preexisting conditions as well as the 30 to 40 million uninsured who desperately wanted affordable insurance. Despite these assertions, hundreds of millions of dollar spent on signing people up, financial penalties for not being insured, and multiple extensions of the sit up deadline we find that only 6 million people signed up and another 6 million already insured with individual plans lost their plans. At this point we don't know how many of the six million who lost their plans were in the 6 million who signed up. Meanwhile a huge amount of disruption and uncertainty has been inserted in the healthcare marketplace due to the arbitrary and frequent rewriting of the rules, a huge new and costly federal bureaucracy has been established, and there is no clarity yet as to how much more the new system will cost compared to the old. Discussion of "savings" is virtually absent from the current heated debate.

While a few individuals may have lowered their health care costs, thanks to subsidies, the failure of the government to release the data it has about sign ups for independent analysis suggests the net effect in the marketplace for individual plans was higher premiums, deductibles, and copays (I.e. Costs). Certainly the screams from those adversely affected have been loud and the positive stories from the government about specific individuals benefiting from the ACA have been few.

As someone in the individual market with a preexisting condition (cancer), who experienced great difficulty and high annual expense to obtain individual insurance when I left corporate America prior to ACA, I had great hopes for healthcare reform. The only plan I could find exiting COBRA was a high deductible plan $5000/$10000. For the past 2 years I've easily met the deductible. Fortunately this plan paid 100% after the deductible was met.

I was one of the six million who received a letter last fall stating my plan was not ACA compliant and was being canceled. The company offered me a similar compliant plan for a 71% increase in premiums. The new plan had higher deductibles ($6250/$12500), added a 30% copay after the deductible was met, did not include dental (old plan did), and had fewer doctors in network. None of the ACA required enhancements to my old policy (maternity, pediatric dentistry, mental health) had any value to us. I checked the exchange and found the bronze plans were more expensive and offered less than the new private plan offered by my insurer. Thanks to my years of thrift and savings, prior to early retirement, my investments generate too much income for me to qualify for a subsidy. So at this point in time, for this individual with a preexisting condition, the implementation of ACA will more than double my annual healthcare costs with a lower level of benefits. did I budget for this level of increase in healthcare costs in the years prior to Medicare eligibility? No. Can I afford the increase? I have no choice and will have to curtail other spending to achieve my annual total budget goals.

To the extent there are millions of others making a similar reallocations of spending to support higher healthcare costs there will be a net reduction in consumer demand for food, energy, and other consumer good as and services. I suspect the net effect of the ACA to be a lowering of consumer discretionary spending in 2014. Currently sluggish retail sales, retail bankruptcies, and retail mergers in Q1 are symptoms of the ACA drag on consumer spending and the economy. I have to believe the economists inside the Fed and Treasury have already performed the analysis and the political advisors to the administration and Congress have seen the results. Hence the decision to delay ACA implementation for the much larger employer subsidized insurance marketplaces until after the elections.

Stay tuned for more uncertainty and slow economic growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom