Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I have been told that the definition of "organic" is "contains carbon". So since sand can contain calcium carbonate, it would be organic.

Other things that would be organic are diamonds and Tums antacids. And probably cat poop.

One cannot equate "natural" with safe, either. Arsenic and radioactive elements occur naturally but are fatal to humans.
Poop is definitely organic. The whole "organic movement" (no pun intended) makes me laugh. It's a great marketing ploy to get people to spend an exorbitant amount of $$$ on food.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #22

Organic is a terribly overused and misused word.

For instance, "Organic Brake Pads" was used to indicate brake pads with asbestos. Now it just means something not ceramic, so they had to change it to NAO (Non-Asbestos Organic). What a mess.

So maybe that organic sandbox sand mentioned a few posts ago contains asbestos. Asbestos is "All Natural" after all!

Old 04-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The center of the "woo" universe is Facebook...

They could all used an essential oil colon cleansing...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #24

I have tried the organic veggies at the grocery store. They do cost more. I think they taste better too and they generally look better. I think they get "tended to" more as w/o pesticides and chem ferts more care needs to be taken.

They have their own little section and you can avoid them easily. It's nice to have a choice.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:27 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

It is nice to see so many people agreeing on what horse to kick. This happens so rarely.

Ha
Old 04-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I have tried the organic veggies at the grocery store. They do cost more. I think they taste better too and they generally look better. I think they get "tended to" more as w/o pesticides and chem ferts more care needs to be taken.

They have their own little section and you can avoid them easily. It's nice to have a choice.
I have been organic gardening for over 30 years. Yes, they get "tended to" more, but no to the less pesticides and chem ferts. Every treatment must be reapplied after heavy rains or brisk breezes. Organic veggies are more apt to be carriers of e coli unless the manure used to fertilize was properly composted. Heavy use of copper sulphate,a moldicide, may result in heavy metal contamination. Ladybugs, used as a pesticide, can reek unwanted flavors. Just to name a few.

Yes, they may taste better but remember most of today's food is grown to make it ship worldwide. Normal seeds grown in your own garden and properly nurtured, will always taste better than store bought. Remember my post from an earlier thread about those beautiful apples stacked in the produce section that may be over a year old.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:21 PM   #27

Interesting. It must be getting more popular as I see stuff at the hardware store I never saw before. Little containers full of live lady bugs and wispy pouches of "mantis eggs"
Old 04-13-2016, 09:41 PM   #28

Wow. Never thought anyone claiming expertise would fall for that. And the mad google skillz not on display....

(love my cherokee purple heirloom tomatoes 7 days a week in season, but also love sweet Corn--which, like potatoes, was haphazardly GMO'd over the course of millennia.... Proud roundup user.)
Old 04-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #29

I use no pesticide period. My worm compost makes the plant so healthy that there is no need for pesticide. I had 80 corns in my small urban/suburban lot on top of 100 tomato plants, intensive planting. Gorgeous and wonderful smelling French Charantais melons. My Ambrosia melons, which is a hybrid seed from Burpee's are so wonderful and sweet that my massage therapist said after they eat these melons they didn't look at melons from the store the same way again.
I try for fresh more than organic. Some fruits should be organic like strawberries, but most fruits I look for freshness, simply because they taste good.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I use no pesticide period. My worm compost makes the plant so healthy that there is no need for pesticide. I had 80 corns in my small urban/suburban lot on top of 100 tomato plants, intensive planting. Gorgeous and wonderful smelling French Charantais melons. My Ambrosia melons, which is a hybrid seed from Burpee's are so wonderful and sweet that my massage therapist said after they eat these melons they didn't look at melons from the store the same way again.
I try for fresh more than organic. Some fruits should be organic like strawberries, but most fruits I look for freshness, simply because they taste good.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Absolutely agree that fresh-from-the-garden will usually trump "store bought".

As an aside, on last year's houseboat outing, aka "booze cruise", those responsible for rations bought a batch of "organic" sweet corn from a roadside stand. The corn was excellent, both fresh and tasty, at least the parts that were bug infested...

Old 04-14-2016, 06:02 PM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

Haha! Very entertaining read...It gave me a good laugh! It really just goes to show.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:42 PM   #32

Now you have me all confused.

One of you says the bugs make the food taste good and another says the bugs make the food taste bad.

I'll just find out for myself as usual -
Old 04-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Now you have me all confused.

One of you says the bugs make the food taste good and another says the bugs make the food taste bad.

I'll just find out for myself as usual -

There was some misspelling on my part, but if you need some extra protein...

Old 05-24-2016, 09:50 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

80 Percent of Americans Want to Label Food That Contains DNA - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Quote:
The study, published in the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology Journal last week, also found that 33 percent of respondents thought that non-GM tomatoes "did not contain genes" and 32 percent thought that "vegetables did not have DNA." So there's that.