Organic farm denies using the chemical "water"

I have tried the organic veggies at the grocery store. They do cost more. I think they taste better too and they generally look better. I think they get "tended to" more as w/o pesticides and chem ferts more care needs to be taken.

They have their own little section and you can avoid them easily. It's nice to have a choice.

I have been organic gardening for over 30 years. Yes, they get "tended to" more, but no to the less pesticides and chem ferts. Every treatment must be reapplied after heavy rains or brisk breezes. Organic veggies are more apt to be carriers of e coli unless the manure used to fertilize was properly composted. Heavy use of copper sulphate,a moldicide, may result in heavy metal contamination. Ladybugs, used as a pesticide, can reek unwanted flavors. Just to name a few.

Yes, they may taste better but remember most of today's food is grown to make it ship worldwide. Normal seeds grown in your own garden and properly nurtured, will always taste better than store bought. Remember my post from an earlier thread about those beautiful apples stacked in the produce section that may be over a year old.

Last edited:
Interesting. It must be getting more popular as I see stuff at the hardware store I never saw before. Little containers full of live lady bugs and wispy pouches of "mantis eggs"

Wow. Never thought anyone claiming expertise would fall for that. And the mad google skillz not on display....

(love my cherokee purple heirloom tomatoes 7 days a week in season, but also love sweet Corn--which, like potatoes, was haphazardly GMO'd over the course of millennia.... Proud roundup user.)

I use no pesticide period. My worm compost makes the plant so healthy that there is no need for pesticide. I had 80 corns in my small urban/suburban lot on top of 100 tomato plants, intensive planting. Gorgeous and wonderful smelling French Charantais melons. My Ambrosia melons, which is a hybrid seed from Burpee's are so wonderful and sweet that my massage therapist said after they eat these melons they didn't look at melons from the store the same way again.
I try for fresh more than organic. Some fruits should be organic like strawberries, but most fruits I look for freshness, simply because they taste good.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I use no pesticide period. My worm compost makes the plant so healthy that there is no need for pesticide. I had 80 corns in my small urban/suburban lot on top of 100 tomato plants, intensive planting. Gorgeous and wonderful smelling French Charantais melons. My Ambrosia melons, which is a hybrid seed from Burpee's are so wonderful and sweet that my massage therapist said after they eat these melons they didn't look at melons from the store the same way again.
I try for fresh more than organic. Some fruits should be organic like strawberries, but most fruits I look for freshness, simply because they taste good.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Absolutely agree that fresh-from-the-garden will usually trump "store bought".

As an aside, on last year's houseboat outing, aka "booze cruise", those responsible for rations bought a batch of "organic" sweet corn from a roadside stand. The corn was excellent, both fresh and tasty, at least the parts that were bug infested...

Haha! Very entertaining read...It gave me a good laugh! It really just goes to show.

Now you have me all confused.

One of you says the bugs make the food taste good and another says the bugs make the food taste bad.

I'll just find out for myself as usual - :)

Now you have me all confused.

One of you says the bugs make the food taste good and another says the bugs make the food taste bad.

I'll just find out for myself as usual - :)

There was some misspelling on my part, but if you need some extra protein...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom