Organics - G.M.O.s

Status
Not open for further replies.

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Bringing up the subject as a serious question that needs serious answers.

Since this will lead the headlines for the rest of 2014, having a good grounding in science rather than loud voices seems to be a better way of deciding what is right (or wrong).

A recent New York Time editorial opened the question for me. After spending a year being on the wrong side of an issue regarding lake algae, I have decided to be more circumspect in my support of environmental issues. Sometimes Save the People comes before Save the Planet.

"Natural" isn't always right. The "Black Plague" was natural. "Polio" was natural. "Tuberculosis" and "Measles" were natural.

Putting "Global Warming" in a sentence with almost any type of energy is an invitation to violent argument. Saving the snail darter caused a ruckus not too too long ago.
......................................................................................
A long preface to a subject that we are already addressing with our pocketbooks. With a 20% to 50% premium on basic foods the money/health question comes with bias against less wealthy persons if in fact non organic foods are unhealthy. Likewise with Genetically altered products, if... if they do scientifically prove to be a long term health risk.

At the other end of the spectrum, are smaller crops, failed crops, and naturally altered crops such as oranges, that go by the wayside, never to be recovered.
Are we sure that the bee colonies are dying because of insecticides?

At this point I'm not ready to weigh in, but since it's going to be important, think I'll wait and find out who the legitimate scientists are, try to separate fact and surmise, and not to destroy Monsanto until I'm sure it's necessary.

...but I am mad that DW bought Organic Bananas for $.79/lb. at Aldi's rather than the plain old $.44/lb ones in the next box. Way to wake the sleeping tiger! :cool:

... I'll wait and find out who the legitimate scientists are, ....

I had to Google G.M.O. so I don't qualify :nonono:

I have actually given quite a lot of thought to many of these issues. Unfortunately, I have not come to any conclusions about what is right for me, much less what I should be pushing for more broadly.

My current thinking in summary:

• I do think that organics in many (most, all?) cases are healthier with less pesticide residue on fruits, no antibiotics in meat, more nutrients in veggies, etc. And, I think they generally taste better.
  • I am by nature a [-]cheap [/-]thrifty [-]$0B[/-] consumer; and, I am not sure the benefits of organics outweigh the costs; so, I rarely spend the extra cash on them.
  • Finally, I am grateful that I have these choices and decisions to make for myself since I do also firmly believe there would be much more starvation, malnutrition and general suffering in the world without GMO's, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, etc.
As I said, all this is just my current thinking which continues to evolve as I learn more and give the issues more consideration.

Disclosure: I do owe most of my salary for the past few years to big corporate commodity agriculture in English speaking countries.

As a long time organic gardener that grows a lot of the food I eat I am 100% against GMOs. I am not an eco freak, I don't care about saving the planet, there is no such thing as MMGW, the climate is always changing, I am a conservative both fiscally and socially so I don't fit the mold of those that would say ban GMOs. I understand what GMOs can do and in some case will or have done and they are dangerous. I wish I could avoid them but I buy bread and locally grown corn so I'm sure the wheat and corn are GMO. Yeah there are alternative but I still do it. The technology is frightening and potentially could destroy the food system. It's just too complex to get into but GMOs allow for more not less pesticides and could release dangerous pollen that could disrupt or kill insects. No insects no food.

I grow my food, do canning in the summertime, and live in a community that supports local farmers. I stay away from GMO's. Genetically modified crops are created to be "Round-up Ready," and is, I believe, a sort of Pandora's Box regarding our food supply. Just follow the money. Companies have spent millions developing the plants, and urging them to follow another path is like extracting a painful molar. Big Food has spent tons of money on keeping GMO labels off our food packaging - regarding elections in Calif. and Washington State. If GMO's are so great, what is the worry - huh Big AG?:nonono:

I am basically honest - and, fiscally conservative and socially liberal, by the way. But, I want to know what is in my family's food!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom