Our ACA application completed; first month premium paid

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Our situation is a little unique. DW and I both resigned and worked a couple of days the first week of January 2019. We have group coverage for the month of January. We needed ACA coverage beginning 2/1/19.

I started to fill out our CoveredCA application in December of 2018 as was suggested on their website. I had to call CoveredCA helpline few times because some of the questions are confusing. When I was ready to pick a plan, it showed that the begin date was 1/1/19. The agent on the phone did not know how to make it to begin on 2/1/19. Her supervisor came in to help but still not working. I had to ask them to cancel the plan selected (but keep the application), and they told me to come back again in January.

So, I came back and was able to select a Blue Cross HSA PPO plan for 2 of us. It has a $12,000 annual deductible, though the premium is only $2 a month.

Overall experience: It is almost impossible to just sign up online and be done in our case. I had to call the helpline no less than 10 times since December. But the helpline agents are all very friendly and patient with me. I feel quite content with the system and the process now that I have gone thru once.

Our situation is a little unique. DW and I both resigned and worked a couple of days the first week of January 2019. We have group coverage for the month of January. We needed ACA coverage beginning 2/1/19.

I started to fill out our CoveredCA application in December of 2018 as was suggested on their website. I had to call CoveredCA helpline few times because some of the questions are confusing. When I was ready to pick a plan, it showed that the begin date was 1/1/19. The agent on the phone did not know how to make it to begin on 2/1/19. Her supervisor came in to help but still not working. I had to ask them to cancel the plan selected (but keep the application), and they told me to come back again in January.

So, I came back and was able to select a Blue Cross HSA PPO plan for 2 of us. It has a $12,000 annual deductible, though the premium is only $2 a month.

Overall experience: It is almost impossible to just sign up online and be done in our case. I had to call the helpline no less than 10 times since December. But the helpline agents are all very friendly and patient with me. I feel quite content with the system and the process now that I have gone thru once.

It will be easier online next year. I'm on year two and it gets easier.

I signed up for the first time in Maryland in early December. The online experience was OK for sign-up, but rather terrible since. The site was absolutely locked until January 2 (coverage started January 1:facepalm:) so I could not see my official plan coverage, Rx, doctors list, etc.

Then on Jan 2 I was finally able to select my PCP. I was totally unable to select PCP for DW or DS. So two days ago I receive my printed/laminated insurance card. Just mine - nothing for DW or DS.

After "secure messaging" with a question on 1/2 (no response) and checking in every day or so for a week, the system still refused to allow me to select PCPs for DW and DS (though they were listed on the website as covered). I finally called BC/BS today and got it straightened out, I think. We'll see if I receive cards for them in the next couple of days.

5 years of PPACA and the system(s) are still a cluster.

OH, but the billing part of the website worked a charm...

I signed up for the first time in Maryland in early December. The online experience was OK for sign-up, but rather terrible since. The site was absolutely locked until January 2 (coverage started January 1:facepalm:) so I could not see my official plan coverage, Rx, doctors list, etc.

Then on Jan 2 I was finally able to select my PCP. I was totally unable to select PCP for DW or DS. So two days ago I receive my printed/laminated insurance card. Just mine - nothing for DW or DS.

After "secure messaging" with a question on 1/2 (no response) and checking in every day or so for a week, the system still refused to allow me to select PCPs for DW and DS (though they were listed on the website as covered). I finally called BC/BS today and got it straightened out, I think. We'll see if I receive cards for them in the next couple of days.

5 years of PPACA and the system(s) are still a cluster.

OH, but the billing part of the website worked a charm...

In my state, seeing plan coverage and Rx/doctor lists and selecting a PCP and receiving insurance cards would all be on the insurance company, not the PPACA and ACA marketplace website.

Emphasis added. I think it is state dependent. My state has been really easy and straightforward (both the ACA marketplace and the insurance company).

I'm saddened that you had a bad experience.

I had the Blue Cross rep and a healthcare exchange rep on the line and signed up through this manner. It was a fairly smooth process.

My experience has mostly been positive. Our Insurer helped with application from the start and has sent any documentation that ACA has needed for us. The only issues I have seen is that when ACA needs letter of explanation or document our Insurer has sent it and they say they haven't received it. Then all of a sudden they got it. LOL I take a lot of that for just being a very busy place in such a short time during enrollment time.

HOLY COW - how are you able to get a premium of only $2 a month?! Cheapest PPO I can find here is ~$1,400/month for the two of us, with $6,500 per person deductible.

Is your $12K deductible per person, or combined for the two of you?

Now I see why some people love the "A"CA and others (like us) absolutely hate it.

HOLY COW - how are you able to get a premium of only $2 a month?! Cheapest PPO I can find here is ~$1,400/month for the two of us, with $6,500 per person deductible.

Now I see why some people love the "A"CA and others (like us) absolutely hate it.

What state and county one lives in makes a huge difference.
My premium for a full Silver plan filing as head of household with a MAGI of 20k is $65 monthly with no deductible and max OOP of $1,450.

Our projected household income is $52,500 for 2019. We no longer have salaries from Megacorp. The income sources are the remaining bonus, and dividend/interest.

The $12K deductible is for the family of 2. I am surprised to see the $2 premium also and asked a couple of time if that is an error. Different helpline agents checked and see no issues.

The total potential overall cost for us is the OOP $13,300. If we go out of network, it will be $40,000.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom