How do I cancel COBRA?

disneysteve

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just signed us up for insurance through the ACA beginning January 1. We're currently on COBRA. I reached out to the COBRA administrator to find out what I need to do to cancel that but got an auto-reply that they are closed until Tuesday.

What's the typical process, if there is one? Do I need to formally cancel COBRA or do I just not pay my January premium and they'll drop me automatically?

Of course, I'll await their answer next week but figured people here would have experience on this.

Just don't pay. But also good to inform.

I would do this too. Stop paying will terminate, but informing will make it cleaner. In either case, the policy will terminate at the end of the last paying month.

Just don't pay. But also good to inform.
No, don't just "not pay."

I just canceled my COBRA. Contact them for certain.

I called them up, and they said I needed to send an email that stated my ex-employer name and the stop date of my COBRA insurance and the start date of my new insurance (ACA plan).

I hadn't made my December payment for COBRA yet since I've been paying at the end of the month all along, so they said I needed to do that before I cancel. So I made my payment, and they said after the funds clear, they will cancel. I'll follow up if I don't hear anything by Tuesday to confirm.

I hadn't made my December payment for COBRA yet since I've been paying at the end of the month all along, so they said I needed to do that before I cancel.
That's great advice. I just checked and we also pay at the end of the month so our December coverage hasn't been paid yet. I will need to make that payment as scheduled.

I cancelled mine last week. My administrator has a web portal and it was pretty easy. I received confirmation right after.

Cheers

My web portal allows me to pay but not cancel.

I did check today and noticed they have posted a pdf of a letter that I would need to sign for reenrollment for insurance for 2024, and the premium is 33.4% higher! Wow - it was already high at nearly $1000/mo in 2023, just for health coverage (no dental/vision). Glad I'm not sticking with it. Inflation seems to be hitting me as hard as ever, although I'm dodging this particular increase.

Back
Top Bottom