Paul Allen Passed Away at 65

Well, when you had that much money and survived a deadly disease that was diagnosed before the age of 30, you would want to blow that dough. :)

I don't remember exactly, but back 20 years ago, he had a 757 or something that big. No fooling around with a bitty Gulfstream.

Geekwire, a local Seattle tech blog, has a bunch of write-ups on Paul Allen.

I was reading this one: https://www.geekwire.com/2018/hear-...en-reflect-life-legacy-rare-public-interview/

And I loved his answer on the appeal of submarines:

The appeal of his submarine: It turns out if you go 1,000 feet down in the ocean, it’s really dark, and the animals are really strange, but if you put on some Pink Floyd, it’s fantastic.

It sure sounds like he enjoyed life!

He also owned the biggest yacht in the world, and the first with not just one, but two helipads. Sort of a Blow That Dough poster boy.

He touches on that in the article too:

On his yachts: They’re too big, and there are too many of them. Do I need to say anything else? … No, I grew up seeing films like “Silent World,” the Jacques Cousteau movie about his wonderful diving saucer and all these adventures they had underwater. The biggest yacht that I have accommodates a submarine. What they do, what these guys do, these captains, they’ll say, Paul, we know you want to build a bigger boat. And here’s a model. It’s about this big, and the submarine goes in the back here, and it’s going to be pretty good size. And then they start building it, and you go to Germany, and you see it and you go, oh my gosh, that’s really big. No, no, it’s enormous.

Last edited:
Saw somewhere that Paul Allen was worth some $20B. Not at all shabby for leaving Microsoft quite early at the age of 29.

I made me look up Steve Wozniak who cofounded Apple with Steve Jobs, and in fact was completely responsible for the design of the original Apple. Steve Wozniak is worth $100M, according to some sources. And it was said that it was because he was a nice guy and gave a lot of his shares to other coworkers.

That amount, $100M, is quite nice, but nowhere near enough for a yatch or a nice personal jet. But Wozniak is still happy. He just rides a Segway.

woz_1.jpg

So I read a lot about the South Lake Union developments when we visited Seattle this past August. In particular, we visited the Chandler's Crabhouse near our hotel after I read that it was closing on Sept 30, and had been there 30 years.

That entire retail and marina area is going to be replaced with something, but apparently nobody knows what yet.

Back
Top Bottom