Poll: How do you handle healthcare in retirement?

How do you get healthcare insurance in early retirement?

• I go without healthcare insurance.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Former employer, military, or gov’t retiree insurance

Votes: 90 39.1%
  • Subsidized ACA / Obamacare policy

Votes: 61 26.5%
  • Non subsidized ACA / Obamacare policy

Votes: 33 14.3%
  • Medicaid

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Medicare

Votes: 21 9.1%
  • Other, incl overseas, expat etc

Votes: 20 8.7%

• Total voters
I didn't have a decent ACA available, and other insurance wasn't from ex employer. We joined a group plan in an interim. In a while, we can look for Medicare and supplementals.

Thank you for your reference. It sounds like this would be a Bronze plan with a 12k deductible and 12k max OOP. If so, the 21k MAGI in my county would also be zero premium.
My brother could have some developing health issues, so wanted a $0 ded and $1,250 max OOP just in case.

His deductible and max OOP isn't that high. I'm thinking maybe $6800. It actually went down from last year when it was $7500.

Megacorp 50% subsidised. $650 month from me for very good health and good dental.
If I started a the company 13 days earlier they would have paid 75%. Should have stayed in the union, they still get 100%

Huh? Do you know how health insurance works? It's the opposite of what you said.... our health care system, and specifically what health care costs, is in crisis.... the rise in health insurance is only because of rises in health care costs... nothing more and nothing less.
This has baffled me for yrs. When still employed preACA my employer self insured, I had great HC. 1st yr ACA inacted, HC cost x2, and X2 for the next two yrs before I left. The employer kept blaming ACA. We currently have DW employer HC. With IR rising it's not helping our taxes so thinking it's crazy for DW to keep working just to pay higher tax. HC premiums x2 again in 2018 for my state. I'm just not seeing how the cost for procedures goes that high. The only thing I seen that partially justified the rising HC cost was DD insured until 26 which was not even used. I'm seeing HC >20K upon initially looking at outside of DW employer.

Since I could only tag one of the selections on the poll I put Medicare although I also have Tricare for Life as secondary. So far the coverage has been good. Six major surgeries including lumbar fusion, rotator cuff repairs, joint replacement, a few hospital stays, and the associated expenses and have yet to receive a bill.

I'm glad we planned ahead. It's not over yet!

Cheers!

Since I could only tag one of the selections on the poll I put Medicare although I also have Tricare for Life as secondary. So far the coverage has been good. Six major surgeries including lumbar fusion, rotator cuff repairs, joint replacement, a few hospital stays, and the associated expenses and have yet to receive a bill.

I'm glad we planned ahead. It's not over yet!

Cheers!

Hopefully, those surgeries are not because you dumped that beautiful bike. :nonono:

Back
Top Bottom