Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Unhealthy

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Walking dead :)

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Dead :)

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
i didn't see the option for "still alive", so i didn't vote.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1470364525.786031.jpg

Well thank goodness, I am glad to read this because to me it means that you are not going to be sleeping under a bridge or committing suicide if you live to be older than 85. Many of us may live to be quite old. I'm not counting on it either, but like you I'm prepared just in case. And if I am lucky enough to live to a very old age, I plan to have the most wonderful last years that anyone ever had.
Do you think the ER forum will change as we baby boomers age? Maybe a good topic for another thread.

I don't know how healthy I am. I need to have a physical to find out. Haven't had one since 2004. Had blood work done in 2011 that was good, recent BP/heart rate check is ok. Doing 7-9 workouts a week, but I can't judge how healthy I am from the results. Knees have been really sore lately.

I checked healthier than others because I keep my weight down, exercise regularly, and have good BP and OK lipids. But I worry that sh** happens in our fast approaching 70s and health eventually becomes the luck of the draw. I have had bouts of orthostatic hypo tension (dizziness when standing up) for as long as I can remember and have a brief episode of tachycardia a couple of times a year that the cardiologist doesn't think is worrisome. But I can see either of the issues becoming worse with no warning and forcing me to curtail activities which could lead to a downward spiral. I suspect that, if I can get through the next 10 years without having to curtail my activities I will likely coast to the inevitable end that my genes have programmed in without an unexpected divergence from destiny.

It seems to me from watching all my friends age that the 70's are when things happen .I was at a party and we were all discussing who are our orthopedic , cardiac , pulmonary ,etc. doctors were . I started laughing and said "What happened to us "?

Last edited:
It seems to me from watching all my friends age that the 70's are when things happen .

Which is why I always laugh when people say they're in their late 50s/early 60s and doing this and/or that.......reminds me of kids with great plans who are still living at home.....just wait until you leave the nest. :LOL:

Reactions: W2R
I checked healthier than others because I keep my weight down, exercise regularly, and have good BP and OK lipids. But I worry that sh** happens in our fast approaching 70s and health eventually becomes the luck of the draw.

My approach on that is that by being healthy, you're more able to survive some of those events. Not always, but you've got a better chance than if you're already in poor health.

My approach on that is that by being healthy, you're more able to survive some of those events. Not always, but you've got a better chance than if you're already in poor health.

+1

When you need an operation or treatment, if you are already obese, diabetic, or have high blood pressure, it causes more complications. Doctors may not be able to use certain medications, or to do certain operations. You lessen the chance of overcoming that unfortunate illness.

I would recommend an angiogram, a colonoscopy and a PSA test before answering the poll. Otherwise you are operating in the dark. I have lost 5 friends to prostate or pancreatic cancer. Another friend had a stroke but the doctor said his conditioning was what saved him. Now baby aspirin will help him.

Um, no. What AP found was that there are no solid studies that prove that flossing is beneficial. That's different from showing that it's not useful.

I am reminded of a colleague's slide from years ago at the beginning of the evidence based medicine era, "Lack of evidence is not evidence of lack".

And interestingly, whether flossing is beneficial or not, the act of flossing is probably and indicator of other health promotion activities, some of which are likely to be beneficial.

My DH was lucky enough to have a physical problem at 49 that lead to the discovery that he had prostate cancer so they caught it early. They watched it for about 3 years and then he had to have the seeds inserted and no problems since. It could have been much worse if they had not found it. At 50 I was experiencing some issues but my doc kept saying I was fine and did not run tests but I did not feel fine. Changed docs and discovered that I had HBP, too fast and irregular heart beat and asthma. Got on meds for all 3 and have been fine . She said it was lucky I had not had a stroke because I was exercising so much which was making my BP very high. I was normal weight, etc but HBP runs in my family.

+1

When you need an operation or treatment, if you are already obese, diabetic, or have high blood pressure, it causes more complications. Doctors may not be able to use certain medications, or to do certain operations. You lessen the chance of overcoming that unfortunate illness.

Here's a real-life example of how not being in good physical condition can make things a lot worse when you suddenly are faced with some more serious problems.

An obese woman had a hysterectomy. Her sutures could not hold, and the surgical wound kept popping open. Think about it, and you will see how scary this is.

They could not do a whole lot for her, and amazingly, the wound slowly healed up, but it took a long time, perhaps a year. It's truly amazing how she did not get a serious infection with the abdomen not closed up. :nonono:

But now, she has terrible hernia. Some internal organs are protruding and can be seen below the abdomen wall. Given the past problem, no surgeon wants to operate on her. They say the surgery would kill her for sure. So, she has been living with painful hernia. She's only 60.

This woman said that her obesity could not be helped because of other life-long health problems that she had. That could be true. But if I do not have her many serious problems, why don't I try to maintain my existing conditions, so that I am better equipped to deal with anything serious that pops up later?

In fact, I often talked about my close call with death. If I were not in good health other than this sudden problem, I would come out in a lot worse shape after the multiple surgeries and treatments. Someday, I will tell more.

Last edited:
I would be interested in hearing the story. My Mom got HBP at 31 like most of her family. However, she always took great care of herself which is why I think she lived so long despite having other health challenges when she got old. The story you mention about that woman sounds awful.

And you have the added benefit of feeling better every day, and enjoying a higher quality of life. There is no advantage to being weak and out of shape.

And you have the added benefit of feeling better every day, and enjoying a higher quality of life. There is no advantage to being weak and out of shape.

So true

And the poll can only be an indication of now. I'm pretty healthy now (I think). I feel great ride 100 miles a week mostly for fun (I like it not because I'm training for a race). But if I go to the doc Monday and he tells me I have terminal cancer well...I won't be so healthy. Nor will I be healthy if Sunday a car hits me on my ride. But that's the future. Also being in good shape certainly was a factor in my recovery from knee surgery. I spoke with some people that had similar surgery (Mencius torn) that are not in good shape and their recovers were months. Two weeks after surgery I was riding my bike again. Even my doctor comment on that fact. Like Music Lover says there is no advantage to being out of shape other than you have more time to watch TV and eat :cool:

I would be interested in hearing the story. My Mom got HBP at 31 like most of her family. However, she always took great care of herself which is why I think she lived so long despite having other health challenges when she got old. The story you mention about that woman sounds awful.

As mentioned earlier, this is a true life story. I happened to find this on the Web, and the poor woman posted her story and photos too of her conditions (arghh! :( ). Out of respect for this woman, I will not share the links.

You can be overweight, or your BP or your blood glucose may be high, and it's still OK. But when you have all these problems, then you are hit with something more serious like this woman undergoing surgery, oh man, it's pure misery.

I have seen my father and father-in-law suffering in their last years, and it was not pretty. However, they were a lot older, and not just 60 like this woman.

...Like Music Lover says there is no advantage to being out of shape other than you have more time to watch TV and eat :cool:

I do not even watch TV, and I do not eat that much (as evidenced by my BMI of 23). However, I tend to surf the Web too much, in addition to hanging around this forum. I have to remind myself to go do some other "stuff". Once I am off the laptop, there's no surfin' on the smartphone, which I use only to make/receive calls.

We never have any interest in a Fitbit because we move about plenty during the day. While my wife never has to weigh herself to check, I weigh myself every day. Other than when recovering from surgery, there was never a time in my life when I could not do squats, pushups, and pullups. When I am out of shape, I cannot do that many, but I always can.

Last edited:
The poll we really answered

Here's an alternate phrasing of the poll choices:

Attachments

• poll.png
    poll.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 42
Keep them coming.
Seems that this poll is sort of achieving its (evil?) objectives. :)

Yes, it is true that we will all be in the bottom category some day. Hopefully not soon. I noticed that we now have 1 respondent from the grave!!! Would that respondent care to tell us what it is like on the other side? :LOL: ...but maybe I should not be laughing, maybe that respondent is the real thing ... :wiseone:

I promise to redo this poll in another 100 years when we may all respond from the other side. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Age 64, Last week hiked into a back country lodge 30 km of rough terrain, climbed 2 mtns, the next two days.

Both knees still working well, but warning signs are there.

After 38 years of treating gum disease, make no mistake. Get your teeth cleaned regularly by a competent hygienist, and floss. And there are very good studies showing that unhealthy gums contribute to a lot of diseases of aging.

I look fit, and I play indoor volleyball with a bunch of guys, and some would think I am very healthy, but I am not really - I am on a couple of medications. I have been since my 40's. On the other hand, my mom didn't have to take any medication until she was in her mid 70's (although she was a smoker.)

What exactly qualifies for "walking dead"? Dementia?

Back
Top Bottom