Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Retirees Only: Excluding breakfast, how many times do you eat out per week average?
0-2 46 59.74%
2-4 13 16.88%
4-6 7 9.09%
6-8 7 9.09%
8-10 1 1.30%
10-12 2 2.60%
13 or more 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Poll REVISED: How many times do you eat out per week?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll REVISED: How many times do you eat out per week?

Sorry I wasted members time with yesterday's poll, but it's readily apparent from posts that I didn't ask the right question (again). I shouldn't have limited poll responses to dinner, since many got out at lunch. So let me try again if you'll indulge.

Again I'd like to restrict the poll to retirees, as I'd expect the results to differ from those who are still working.

Yes I know there's a bin overlap, but certainly we can all figure that out.

I am guessing the distribution will be a little different than the first wayward poll...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

We probably eat at Panera 4-5 times per week on average, and go to a couple of other casual places on the other days. Always a late lunch for us.

I'd be willing to cook, but my SO thinks it's boring to stay home and we really do enjoy going out. For us, it's as much entertainment as it is dining.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have a ton of dining options within a few blocks of my apartment: Panera, Subway, French bistro, sushi bar, pizza place, burger joint (not fast food), taco truck, farmers markets, and even some upscale-ish restaurants. As I wrote on the earlier thread, we only eat dinner out on special occasions. But I eat lunch out maybe 3-4 times a week (sometimes with DW, often by myself).
Old 06-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I dine out mostly when traveling, special events or for convenience. Breakfast maybe once a week. Too much salt, fat and sugar in restaurant food for my taste. I enjoy cooking and stick to simple meals that are quick and easy to make.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #5

My young wife works and eats her lunches out, I have a FT cook so all my meals are at home. I still go out to a Cafe a everyday for coffee and dessert and then we may go to a cafe at 11 or 12pm for a late night snack. Sunday's the cook is off so we generally eat our main meal at a restaurant with the family.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
My young wife works and eats her lunches out, I have a FT cook so all my meals are at home. I still go out to a Cafe a everyday for coffee and dessert and then we may go to a cafe at 11 or 12pm for a late night snack. Sunday's the cook is off so we generally eat our main meal at a restaurant with the family.
Sounds wonderful, ever consider adopting a 57 yo?

Old 06-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #7

In the other poll, I replied that I ate out for dinner 1-2 times per month, so I answered the lowest choice. Including lunches, that's another 1-2 times per month, so the total is 2-4 times per month for both meals. On a weekly basis, that's 0-1 times so again I answered the lowest choice.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #8

It is just DS and myself here, however he heads off to college in August. He has been enrolled in an on line Internet high school sponsored by a local university so he is home all day and we usually do take in for lunch. I cook dinner during the week but we usually go in our own direction on the weekends. This will all change when he goes to college.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Well, I guess the two polls look a lot alike after all. Sorry...

Old 06-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

They probably would have looked different if you had kept the same choices. I suspect there aren't nearly as many in the '0' category, and most of the votes above are for 1 or 2.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
They probably would have looked different if you had kept the same choices. I suspect there aren't nearly as many in the '0' category, and most of the votes above are for 1 or 2.
Yes, and also it might have helped if breakfast/brunch was included, with the same choices. An elaborate Sunday brunch is as much a meal out as a weekday lunchtime sandwich, IMO.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #12

I think it is different. The original poll had 84% combined in 0, 1, and 2. The new one has about about 64% in that category (I assume choice 2 should really be 3-4).
Old 06-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Mmm, breakfast.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #14

Had breakfast out yesterday - the first time in years. DD birthday celebration. It's even better than I remembered. So good. So decadent.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Decadent breakfast or brunch? Sure...

Kansas City Barbecue Society Motto: “Barbecue—it's not just for breakfast.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

DW and I eat lunch out about once a month or so. Now when DW is visiting her family in the East (couple of times/year), I seldom (read never) accompany her and I dine exclusively at the nearby military bases for less than $5 a day. it's the very best deal in town.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Yes, and also it might have helped if breakfast/brunch was included, with the same choices. An elaborate Sunday brunch is as much a meal out as a weekday lunchtime sandwich, IMO.
So you want I should run another poll?

JK, I promise.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I voted 4-6. I pick up a well balanced lunch for my mom and myself probably 3 times a week. Usually enough left overs for her the next day. Works out to be a pretty cheap way to eat for us. And I dine at the club a couple of days after my round of golf. So even though I eat out a lot compared to others, I couldn't buy and prepare meals at home much cheaper if any at all.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #19

@midpack Any conclusions? I was a little surprised people didn't eat out more? I suspect there is pretty good data on average meals eaten out? I wonder how this group would compare?
Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
@midpack Any conclusions? I was a little surprised people didn't eat out more? I suspect there is pretty good data on average meals eaten out? I wonder how this group would compare?
I was also a little surprised more retirees didn't eat out more often. We probably average 3/week, but I'd seen a few prominent (moderate spending) posters that seemed to eat out almost every day to my surprise. I also know I often see regular groups of codgers retirees hanging out at McDonalds and other low cost breakfast places around town early in the morning solving the worlds problems without benefit of facts, while spending about $0.78/codger to exchange golf/fishing/wifey/current events stories. LBYM would suggest otherwise though, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

We really like to eat out, and would do so more often, but we already average more than $70/week which seems a little high for a retiree IMO.

All in all, LBYM prevails in the poll, as I probably should have known. And it was mostly meant as a fun poll, thanks again...