Poll:Those who follow a LCHF (Low Carb High Fiber) Diet, What do you eat?

Do you have a LCHF diet as a lifestyle?

• Yes

Votes: 46 35.9%
  • No

Votes: 40 31.3%
  • Sometimes (On and Off)

Votes: 42 32.8%

• Total voters
Interesting that many folks thought a ketogenic diet was hard to get into. I found it pretty effortless. I admit I was highly motivated, but the appetite suppressant feature seemed almost immediate. Initial side effects were mild. I wasn’t even sure I was in ketosis until I started experiencing some leg cramps at night.

People are different and for me the stumbling block is the first time I did this is was pretty effortless for me too. Boom. not much hunger and a nice weight loss. I've been on a pretty modified low carb for over 15 years. Can't tell you the last time I had rice, noodles, cake, oatmeal and the like.

I think my body has adjusted to lower carb settings and I have to really cut back to the point of being hardcore LC with not a lot of results. I picked up a few pounds last years when my DH had a surgery that had almost lethal results with a lot of stress and a long recovery time. It's been a long slow and frustrating job to shed this weight.

People are different and for me the stumbling block is the first time I did this is was pretty effortless for me too. Boom. not much hunger and a nice weight loss. I've been on a pretty modified low carb for over 15 years. Can't tell you the last time I had rice, noodles, cake, oatmeal and the like.

I think my body has adjusted to lower carb settings and I have to really cut back to the point of being hardcore LC with not a lot of results. I picked up a few pounds last years when my DH had a surgery that had almost lethal results with a lot of stress and a long recovery time. It's been a long slow and frustrating job to shed this weight.

Stress/cortisol is definitely a fat builder like insulin. We all are going to go through stressful periods in our lives. Thanks for sgpharing your experience.

Stress/cortisol is definitely a fat builder like insulin. We all are going to go through stressful periods in our lives. Thanks for sgpharing your experience.

I shared because sometimes when things aren't working the way they used to, it can become a guessing game as to what's different. Sometimes it's not really our "fault" and it's hard not to get discouraged particularly when healthy numbers, weight control is the end goal.

I just always feel a bit hungry on low carb, but of course it works well. I have a cheat day, which is usually followed by a kick my own a$$ day in the gym. Then, it's back to the boring low carb.

By Cheat I mean, I largely don't care and will eat ice cream, cupcakes, pizza, burgers etc. Just not all on the same cheat day lol.

160 @5'10 but I feel best in the 165 range. I am prepping for a 15k so I dropped a little more than I normally would.

We shop around the aisles at the grocery store, so no processed food. Maybe a box of crackers or chips occasionally. Most people who look in our fridge probably wouldn't know how to put a meal together with all the healthy stuff we have.

If you are feeling hungry, that cheat day is right around the corner. I think half of this is psychological.

I just always feel a bit hungry on low carb, but of course it works well. I have a cheat day, which is usually followed by a kick my own a$$ day in the gym. Then, it's back to the boring low carb.

By Cheat I mean, I largely don't care and will eat ice cream, cupcakes, pizza, burgers etc. Just not all on the same cheat day lol.

160 @5'10 but I feel best in the 165 range. I am prepping for a 15k so I dropped a little more than I normally would.

We shop around the aisles at the grocery store, so no processed food. Maybe a box of crackers or chips occasionally. Most people who look in our fridge probably wouldn't know how to put a meal together with all the healthy stuff we have.

If you are feeling hungry, that cheat day is right around the corner. I think half of this is psychological.

Usually, the recommendation for what to do if you are feeling hungry on a low-carb, high fat diet, is to eat more fat.

I lost the usual 3 pounds of water weight after the first two weeks (lots of peeing), as expected, since I'm just a little overweight. It seems like I got into ketosis quickly enough - definitely within the first week.

But this 3rd week all of a sudden I've dropped another 3 pounds. I've never lost weight this fast before! Maybe I'm not eating enough.

I guess we'll see if I plateau soon. Or whatever.

My Apple Health app weight graph looks pretty dramatic.

What do you eat to keep life interesting and what sort of quantities?

Maybe posting you daily routine may be appropriate form a meal perspective.

I have looked at many low carb diets and mostly the meals look menial and somewhat boring, unless bacon and ham are involved and they are very high in salt.

I started Paleo-ish diet 2.5 years ago due to chronic Lyme. No white food - flour, sugar, starch etc. It helped tremendously with the associated inflammation but man the first six months I dared you not put your hands in front of my plate. I was ravenous.

If you really listen to your body it will tell you what it needs. Most days, I wake to a cuppa Joe and that's about all I need til a large protein-based dinner. Maybe a banana, an egg or handful of nuts during the day.

Today, I worked hard with my personal trainer (she's 72 btw) and was famished but by that I mean 1 Lara Bar, 3 slices of ham, a string cheese and banana chips. Alot for me before dinner but I earned it.

I eat meat and meat fat and have normalized my numbers. Meat fat is healthy fat its the seed oils that are unhealthy because of how the double bonds in the molecule is arranged. The seed oils don't signal satiety animal fat does so you don't over eat. If 6oz isn't enough to fill you up then eat 12 always with some kind of fat Takes about 6 weeks to acclimate to this diet because most people are highly sugar addicted. After 6 weeks I merely eat 2 meals a day each meal till I'm full and basically never think about food. Because you don't eat crap your gut bacteria (micro-biome) also normalizes and digestion improves over the course. If you're worried about mico-nutrients simply vary the diet a little with some eggs and cheese or organ meat like liver once in a while.

Nuts, nut butters, lots of veggies, tuna, salmon, chicken, low fat cheese.
I weigh within 2lbs of what I did as a senior in high school. 157 lbs, 6 ft tall.

Nuts, nut butters, lots of veggies, tuna, salmon, chicken, low fat cheese.
I weigh within 2lbs of what I did as a senior in high school. 157 lbs, 6 ft tall.

I gotta ask why low fat cheese, I am curious about your reasoning there.

Doc told me to avoid carbs and cholesterol for glucose levels. So low fat cheeses and few eggs.

OK, that must be hard for a cheesehead:(….I have never heard about cholesterol being bad for glucose levels.

Google it.

Oh man I try not to google too many medical things at one time. I just ask you guys.....:cool: Google can be very unreliable...I just said it was news to me.

I am taller than ShokWaveRider and weigh about 30 pounds less. I am not sure whether my diet qualifies as low-carb, but I avoid pasta, white rice, potatoes, breads for the most part. I eat oatmeal and brown rice. I eat beans. I eat nuts, fruits, and vegetables. I don't count carbs nor calories. I don't eat eggs, avoid meats, but do eat fish. When I write "avoid" that means maybe once a week I will have meat or eggs.

I go to Chipotle at least once a month. I get a burrito bowl of brown rice, black beans, extra black beans, sofritas, salsa, corn, guac, lettuce. I split this into 3 meals. That is "healthy" enough for me.

I am not fastidious about eating. For lunch today, I ate out and had a salad and a personal pizza with only vegetable toppings. So I had cheese and the crust (bread), too. If I have a burger, I get it with the bun.

As for bulk, any time I feel I need bulk I eat a quarter cup of popcorn cooked the following way:

Get a NordicWare microwave popcorn popper bowl. Pop your corn adding no salt, no oil, no butter, no flavoring, nothing. This is about 200 calories that ends up as 3.5 cups (there's your volume!). Then transfer popped corn to another big bowl a handful at a time, spritz a diet soft drink of the flavor you like onto the handful and then sprinkle nutritional yeast on the slightly moist kernels. Buy a small spray bottle to apply this artificially flavored sweetener. Diet cherry coke may work for you. Repeat with another handful until all 3.5 cups are so treated. The yeast flakes are sort of like adding a cheesy flavor to the popped corn. I sprinkle in some shell-less pistachios, too.

You can eat as much of this kind of popcorn as you want. The above would count as a meal for me.

More bulk: Oatmeal (about 60 to 70 g before cooking or a little more than 1/2 cup uncooked) for breakfast with added walnuts, ground flax seed, blueberries or raspberries, and flavored protein powder to give an additional 20 to 30 g of protein at breakfast. This is a 700 calorie breakfast.

So the fiber part is no problem with oatmeal, popped corn, and nuts snacked on during the day.

Last edited:
I am taller than Shokwaverider and weigh about 30 pounds less. I am not sure whether my diet qualifies as low-carb, but I avoid pasta, white rice, potatoes, breads for the most part. I eat oatmeal and brown rice. I eat beans. I eat nuts, fruits, and vegetables. I don't count carbs nor calories. I don't eat eggs, avoid meats, but do eat fish. When I write "avoid" that means maybe once a week I will have meat or eggs.

I go to Chipotle at least once a month. I get a burrito bowl of brown rice, black beans, extra black beans, sofritas, salsa, corn, guac, lettuce. I split this into 3 meals. That is "healthy" enough for me.

I am not fastidious about eating. For lunch today, I ate out and had a salad and a personal pizza with only vegetable toppings. So I had cheese and the crust (bread), too. If I have a burger, I get it with the bun.

As for bulk, any time I feel I need bulk I eat a quarter cup of popcorn cooked the following way:

Get a NordicWare microwave popcorn popper bowl. Pop your corn adding no salt, no oil, no butter, no flavoring, nothing. This is about 200 calories that ends up as 3.5 cups (there's your volume!). Then transfer popped corn to another big bowl a handful at a time, spritz a diet soft drink of the flavor you like onto the handful and then sprinkle nutritional yeast on the slightly moist kernels. Buy a small spray bottle to apply this artificially flavored sweetener. Diet cherry coke may work for you. Repeat with another handful until all 3.5 cups are so treated. The yeast flakes are sort of like adding a cheesy flavor to the popped corn. I sprinkle in some shell-less pistachios, too.

You can eat as much of this kind of popcorn as you want. The above would count as a meal for me.

More bulk: Oatmeal (about 60 to 70 g before cooking or a little more than 1/2 cup uncooked) for breakfast with added walnuts, ground flax seed, blueberries or raspberries, and flavored protein powder to give an additional 20 to 30 g of protein at breakfast. This is a 700 calorie breakfast.

So the fiber part is no problem with oatmeal, popped corn, and nuts snacked on during the day.
Popcorn is moderate to high on the glycemic index and is not as healthy as we were once lead to believe.

I was given the guideline of no more than 150g’s of carbs a day. Once you start counting it’s amazing how fast they add up. A banana, frozen blueberry and protein powder smoothie can top 50g’s alone. Pizza? Forget about it. A quarter of a pizza is close to 40g’s. No breads and crackers. You start searching for zero carb foods and you find some interesting stuff. Pulled pork from Costco 0 g’s. Some fish like tuna, less than 1 g.

I was given the guideline of no more than 150g’s of carbs a day. Once you start counting it’s amazing how fast they add up. A banana, frozen blueberry and protein powder smoothie can top 50g’s alone. Pizza? Forget about it. A quarter of a pizza is close to 40g’s. No breads and crackers. You start searching for zero carb foods and you find some interesting stuff. Pulled pork from Costco 0 g’s. Some fish like tuna, less than 1 g.

Yeah, it’s pretty incredible holding to 20g daily.

150g sounds way generous!

I am taller than ShokWaveRider and weigh about 30 pounds less. I am not sure whether my diet qualifies as low-carb, but I avoid pasta, white rice, potatoes, breads for the most part. I eat oatmeal and brown rice. I eat beans. I eat nuts, fruits, and vegetables. I don't count carbs nor calories. I don't eat eggs, avoid meats, but do eat fish. When I write "avoid" that means maybe once a week I will have meat or eggs.

Most low carb diets completely cut out all grains and sweets/sugar and severely limit the fruit.

Yours may be a moderate carb diet depending on how many servings of grains you eat daily.

I follow WW (Weight Watchers) and don’t track macros specifically. However I have lost over 40 lbs since late December by following a diet heavy in lean protein, green veggies and fresh fruit. Fairly low in fat, and pretty much zero added sugar. Rarely eat crackers, bread, rice, pasta or potatoes. No dried fruit of any kind. I do still eat dairy, but usually zero or reduced fat (zero fat Greek yogurt or reduced fat cheese or sour cream). Cut way back on alcohol consumption. Now just have an occasional glass of wine.

I feel good and my cholesterol improved. It was ok before, in the 180’s, but now it’s in the 140’s. Glucose is still at the higher end of normal, in the 90’s. I usually have no problem staying full because I eat a lot of protein, but if I’m hungry, I’ll have half an avocado with salsa and that usually does the trick.

This is a way of eating that seems balanced and sustainable for me. I don’t think I could stick to a plan that didn’t allow me to eat copious quantities of fruit and green veggies. I love salads with berries, and love most fruits except bananas and some melons. Every day I typically eat some kind of berries as well as an apple or orange. Occasionally I have grapes or pineapple even though they’re higher in sugar.

Most low carb diets completely cut out all grains and sweets/sugar and severely limit the fruit.

Yours may be a moderate carb diet depending on how many servings of grains you eat daily.
OK, thanks! I can respond to the poll with a "No" answer now. ;)

Nice recipes audreyh1...when you go low-carb it's very helpful if you enjoy eating eggs...

Back
Top Bottom