Poll:Those who follow a LCHF (Low Carb High Fiber) Diet, What do you eat?

Do you have a LCHF diet as a lifestyle?

• Yes

Votes: 46 35.9%
  • No

Votes: 40 31.3%
  • Sometimes (On and Off)

Votes: 42 32.8%

• Total voters

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I hope health is the correct location as this is about a healthy diet.

My body works great on Low Carb, but I have always been a volume eater (I am not fat, 175lb @ 5' 10" tall. But I always feel hungry if I do not eat enough.... "volume".

Meals get boring when only eating Broccoli, Coli, Spinach & Lettuce from a Veg perspective. I love Tomatoes, but they are higher in Carbs.

Meat I think is the easy part although I have to be careful with salt. to me 6 oz of meat does not make a dent.

What do you eat to keep life interesting and what sort of quantities?

Maybe posting you daily routine may be appropriate form a meal perspective.

I have looked at many low carb diets and mostly the meals look menial and somewhat boring, unless bacon and ham are involved and they are very high in salt.

Last edited:
I voted sometimes as I don't have a strict LCHF diet but am more conscientious than in the past.

I pretty much cut out the white stuff (bread, rice, pasta) and go with darker version. Before switching, seems I'd always be hungry.

Plus, try to add more fruit like bananas, oranges and avocados.

Eggs, eggs and more eggs..

But I always feel hungry if I do not eat enough.... "volume".

Meals get boring when only eating Broccoli, Coli, Spinach & Lettuce from a Veg perspective. I love Tomatoes, but they are higher in Carbs.

Meat I think is the easy part although I have to be careful with salt. to me 6 oz of meat does not make a dent.

I like lots of different kinds of vegetables. You can find plenty of other veggies besides what you listed. Many are very low carb. Even the higher carb vegetables typically aren't too high and can be mixed in with lower carb vegetables in a salad, soup, or other dish.

Sometimes varying the preparation method can make things more interesting.

I like raw vegetables. But I also like roasted vegetables a lot. Grilled vegetables can be terrific (slice a cauliflower head into thick slices, coating with olive oil and a tiny bit of salt, then grill - yum). Vegetables steamed in the microwave are handy.

Sometimes what you put on the veggies can make them interesting. Cheese sauce, vinaigrette, olive oil and red wine vinegar, herbs and spices - can all work. I like adding hot peppers to vegetables.

When eating meat, I find the less lean the meat is, the more satisfying. For me at least, fat tends to be more filling.

One thing that helps me feel more full is to drink plenty of liquids before the meal and during the meal. Water, water with a squirt of citrus, carbonated water - all work. They fill the stomach without adding carbs or calories. Don't overdo it - you want your stomach to slowly shrink so that you gradually feel full sooner.

Sometimes a squirt of lemon can stand in nicely for salt. Other herbs/spices could work as well.

Last edited:
Last night I cooked up some ground venison, spiced with basil, parsley, onion and garlic powder, worchishire sauce, sarachi, cinnamon and parmesan cheese. After it was cooked, added some riced cauliflower. Sautied for awhile and then added mixed veggies (corn and peas are not the best low carb but they the only carb in the entire meal). Nuc' ed some scrambled eggs and folded it in. Served topped with 4 cheese grated cheese. Thought of adding portabella mushrooms but they are saved for the pork rind or almond flour coated chicken breast served over a bed of roasted spaghetti squash and alfredo sauce.

Last edited:
I like lots of different kinds of vegetables. You can find plenty of other veggies besides what you listed. Many are very low carb. Even the higher carb vegetables typically aren't too high and can be mixed in with lower carb vegetables in a salad, soup, or other dish.

Sometimes varying the preparation method can make things more interesting.

I like raw vegetables. But I also like roasted vegetables a lot. Grilled vegetables can be terrific (slice a cauliflower head into thick slices, coating with olive oil and a tiny bit of salt, then grill - yum). Vegetables steamed in the microwave are handy.

Sometimes what you put on the veggies can make them interesting. Cheese sauce, vinaigrette, olive oil and red wine vinegar, herbs and spices - can all work. I like adding hot peppers to vegetables.

When eating meat, I find the less lean the meat is, the more satisfying. For me at least, fat tends to be more filling.

One thing that helps me feel more full is to drink plenty of liquids before the meal and during the meal. Water, water with a squirt of citrus, carbonated water - all work. They fill the stomach without adding carbs or calories. Don't overdo it - you want your stomach to slowly shrink so that you gradually feel full sooner.

These are all good tips. As someone who has tried with pretty good success to follow this diet for over 15 years I will add as I get older I need to be careful about what I call filler fats. Such things as you listed adding to your veggies. I don't know if it's just me or the fact I'm aging but even at low carb I feel I need a few less calories or I gain weight.

I remember our first low carb holiday I had to take a veggie to share and made a cauliflower, bacon, mayo, cheese dish..it was freaking awesome. I've had to cut back on dishes like that because of the calories. I just add an extra egg to my usual lunch scramble and yet it is boring but it's only around 70 calories...

At home I eat very little bread, pasta, etc. Most meals consist of lean grilled meat, sometimes seafood. Always a salad, usually with balsamic vinegar. Breakfast is a half grapefruit w some blueberries and one piece of toasted grain bread. Lunch is usually fruits. Always pineapple. Sometimes I might have some cheese or some cold chicken.

At home I eat very little bread, pasta, etc. Most meals consist of lean grilled meat, sometimes seafood. Always a salad, usually with balsamic vinegar. Breakfast is a half grapefruit w some blueberries and one piece of toasted grain bread. Lunch is usually fruits. Always pineapple. Sometimes I might have some cheese or some cold chicken.

Unfortunately pineapple is a bad low carb fruit one cup 22 carbs and to add insult to injury 16 grams of sugar. It's a very rare treat for me.

LCHF worked for many and it did for me, up to a point.

My problem was and is I can't sustain it for year after year. So, I have switched to Slow-Carb diet that includes carbs in the form of whole foods such as sweet potatoes, peaches, pears, quinoa, nuts, seeds, apples, tomatoes etc. Foods that are processed are very limited: flours, pasta, chips, sugary goodies, fruit juices, fake foods like vegan cheese and non-fat half-and-half, and anything that contains sugar when it shouldn't (Many canned and bottled foods do. Does salsa really need sugar?) I also limit most 'tropical' fruits as they are very high in sugar content.

I realize there are probably people out there who will gain weight if they consume the carbs in one extra apple a day. So, it's just my story. YMMV.

Last edited:
1) Daily routine: a hearty filled omelette for breakfast. (Today's: diced leftover chicken, onion, red bell pepper, black olives and pepperoncini.) I eat no lunch; DH usually makes himself a raw veggie salad topped with pickled onions and cheese.

We have a few dinner classics, but I'm always scouting for new recipes. Tonight I'm trying keto Scotch eggs for the first time. (THOSE should be filling!)

One more note on routine: I also fast 20+ hours at least once, often twice / week.

2) Have you tried any low-carb baking? Google "Swedish breakfast bun" for a recipe I recommend with hamburgers, tuna melts or anything else requiring a sturdy bread substitute. The "buns" are filling and satisfy that burger or Dagwood-sammich urge.

(I make them without the seeds the recipe recommends, but imagine they would be even more filling with those included.)

Another lighter bun recipe can be found by googling "the keto bread diet doctor." Tasty and filling hot out of the oven slathered in butter.

3) Another very filling low-carb option: Kabocha squash (aka Japanese pumpkin). I roast it and use it as a side dish and in hashes with veg and meat. Amazingly sweet.

Good luck! We each lost over 50 pounds, beat back DH's pre-diabetes and both our labs (HDL, LDL, triglycerides) are excellent. This is our diet for life.

I have been very low carb for many years. If I eat three meals I will not be hungry eating only moderate amounts. If I try to do the fewer meals routine that gets talked up, I find that I will spend some hungry time, or give up and eat the meal I cannot skip. I think the issue is that I do not want to feel stuffed.

My snack, if I use one, will be hard boiled eggs with mayo, or quality sardines. Couple cans of sardines/day can get expensive though. I also eat fried pork rinds, and have since childhood.

Ha

Last edited:
Poll:Those who follow a LCHF (Low Carb High Fiber) Diet, What do you eat?

How does this compare to LCHF as in Low Carb High Fat?

When you eat High Fibre do you eat Low Fat too in addition to Low Carb?

I’m pretty sure LCHF = low carb, high FAT. I’m pretty sure that is the utmost common use for that acronym. It’s hard to do a low carb high fiber diet when you eat no grains and carbs are so limited.

The LCHF I am following is 70% calories from fat, and ~5% from carbs and ~25% from protein. Since fat has 2.25x calories per gram than carbohydrates or protein, the gram ratios are different.

I’m just a little over two weeks in. I voted yes even though this is my first time ever on LCHF and strict carb counting. I have done a moderate carb, moderate fat diet in the past - South Beach. (And didn’t realize until later that the OP had a different interpretation of the acronym.) On LCHF I experienced an almost immediate appetite suppression from just initially cutting out all the starches and any sugary foods.

I do occasionally eat some cherry tomatoes, some berries, have a small glass of wine now and then. And still stay within the 20g of net carbs per day limit of a very strict LCHF or barely over. So my diet is not nearly as restrictive as the OP. I count carbs, so that lets me know if I have room for those additional carbs. If you look at www.dietdoctor.com there are many dishes for the strict LCHF that include tomatoes, peppers, onions, etc. The amounts are moderate. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/vegetables

The main goal for now, AFAIK is to stay in ketosis and try to get a fast improvement in my cholesterol numbers per my doctor’s directive.

But I think a 50g carbs daily limit would achieve the same result over a longer period. And you have far more leeway in terms of food. I guess that would be more of a maintenance diet.

P.S. I’m eating lots of avocados!

Last edited:
LCHF

I have been on LCHF (F = Fat) for 1.5 years now due to A1C levels and wanting to avoid Metformin. I lost over 40lbs (now 148 on avg) and A1C is good. Side benefit is that even with the high Fat, I have also stopped Cholesterol meds, and Triglycerides lowest since I have been tested. Don't know if it works for everyone, but has for me.

As far as being hungy from low carb, what I have reseached and read is that the high fat part of the LCHF lifestyle is what keeps you from feeling hungy. I am talking a 5% - 25% - 70% ration of Carbs, Protein and Fat.

I hope health is the correct location as this is about a healthy diet.

My body works great on Low Carb, but I have always been a volume eater (I am not fat, 175lb @ 5' 10" tall. But I always feel hungry if I do not eat enough.... "volume".

Maybe posting you daily routine may be appropriate form a meal perspective.

I have looked at many low carb diets and mostly the meals look menial and somewhat boring, unless bacon and ham are involved and they are very high in salt.

OP - I think you need to increase the fat. That would help solve your hunger issue.

Avocados.....
Certain low carb nuts...

Last edited:
I lost 53 pounds in 47 weeks last year, and lowered my blood sugar drastically, and corrected all my other lab test results. What worked for me was eating an average of 1400 calories and 120 carbs per day, averaged over the entire 47 weeks. Of course, both my daily calories and daily carbs started out higher and had to be decreased as I lost weight to continue having the same results. So, I was eating closer to 1250 calories and 105 carbs per day eventually.

But I don't think this qualifies as Low Carb, High Fiber since it is neither low carb nor high fiber. It is just what works for me. I ate a lot of steak and pork and hardly ate any fruits or veggies (other than small side salads for lunch nearly every day), which I know is not considered to be very smart even though I did take a multivitamin every day. I didn't avoid fat but was careful to keep the total calories low. Salt has zero effect on my BP.

I have been maintaining my weight loss for several months since I needed a break, but I intend to lose a bit more later on this year since I am not close to any reasonable goal weight yet.

So, in answer to the question, no, I don't eat LCHF AFAIK (especially if the "F" is fiber), although I'm really not sure what defines LCHF.

I voted on and off. I got down to my desired weight(175lbs) so I tweak it as needed to stay in line. Today for lunch I had steak and rice with carrots. Picked up from a Japanese Express restaurant. Probably more calories than I needed but will offset tonight with a slimfast shake and an apple. So far I'm maintaining my weight fairly well.

I can't accurately answer the poll without knowing your definition of low carb, high fiber.

I lost 53 pounds in 47 weeks last year, and lowered my blood sugar drastically, and corrected all my other lab test results. What worked for me was eating an average of 1400 calories and 120 carbs per day, averaged over the entire 47 weeks. Of course, both my daily calories and daily carbs started out higher and had to be decreased as I lost weight to continue having the same results. So, I was eating closer to 1250 calories and 105 carbs per day eventually.

But I don't think this qualifies as LCHF since it is neither low carb nor high fiber. It is just what works for me. I ate a lot of steak and hardly ate any fruits or veggies (other than small side salads for lunch nearly every day), which I know is not considered to be very smart even though I did take a multivitamin every day. Salt has zero effect on my BP and is not a problem for me in any way as long as I keep the carbs and calories low.

I have been maintaining my weight loss for several months since I needed a break, but I intend to lose a bit more later on this year since I am not close to any reasonable goal weight yet.

Great job! I went the hardcore way (20g or less carb per day) and I think that's why the weight loss was so rapid. I lost the 40lbs in 6-8 months. The last 9 months or so has just been maintaining it, and I have increased carbs. Not really tracking the amount any more, but still not eating pasta or breads of any kind. Ok, not 100% true, there is a restaurant nearby that has incredible biscuits before dinner, i will sneak 1 or 2 of those when I go... :D

I really only have about 10 to 15 pounds to lose, so I’m expecting weight loss to be slow past the initial water weight drop.

I’m pretty much targeting the lipid numbers. And those few extra pounds have crept up around my middle since menopause and need to go!

Great job! I went the hardcore way (20g or less carb per day) and I think that's why the weight loss was so rapid. I lost the 40lbs in 6-8 months. The last 9 months or so has just been maintaining it, and I have increased carbs. Not really tracking the amount any more, but still not eating pasta or breads of any kind. Ok, not 100% true, there is a restaurant nearby that has incredible biscuits before dinner, i will sneak 1 or 2 of those when I go... :D

Thank you! I am in awe of your 20g or less of carbs/day, and I think you are a tower of strength to be able to do that. :LOL: Congratulations on losing 40 pounds in 6-8 months! That is amazing and terrific and such a great feeling, I know. I am maintaining in about the same way as you, although I continue to track both carbs and calories. I didn't eat bread at all while losing weight. In maintenance I have bread maybe once a month at our restaurant. The day before yesterday I ordered a sandwich on focaccia bread for example. It was divine. But I hadn't done that for a month, and usually tell them to omit the bread and put everything on a bed of greens.

Back
Top Bottom