Potatoes

Hersey's, Dove, Lindt taken straight(it was a good Christmas) - plus Triple Chocolate cookie batter from the 9th grader's school catalog selling door to door.

For desert - baked potato's stuffed with cheese, chives, bacon bits and topped with sour cream and some bacon strips beer battered and deep fryed in Zatarain's Chicken fry.

heh heh heh - :cool: Plus a multi vitamin for a well balanced meal.

Unclemick, I think you covered all major food groups except beer.

ta,
mew

Unclemick, I think you covered all major food groups except beer.

ta,
mew

Huh-uh! "....bacon strips beer battered and deep fried...."

Hersey's, Dove, Lindt taken straight(it was a good Christmas) - plus Triple Chocolate cookie batter from the 9th grader's school catalog selling door to door.

For desert - baked potato's stuffed with cheese, chives, bacon bits and topped with sour cream and some bacon strips beer battered and deep fryed in Zatarain's Chicken fry.

Now this thread is on the right track. Recipe so far: bake the potato, throw out the white part and fill the jacket with chocolate, add whip cream.

Nah, our mom taught us the best way to eat the skins is with a big hunk o' salted butter inside. She loved them skins but would often sacrifice hers up to me and my sister, who would fight over them.

Bad thing about Italy: available potatoes are all thin-skinned.

I try and avoid white potatoes as I read somewhere they are bad for you, but can't remember where. Instead I have switched to eating yams which are much healthier for you. Luckily we like the taste of yams.

My doctor told me to avoid white potatoes so we switched to sweet potatoes or yams. Much better for you. We do them in a steamer. Twenty minutes for two big ones. I like mine with margerine and salt. Wife puts honey on hers. We've also gotten away from "white" pasta.
All of that stuff now comes in whole wheat. We don't eat any of the white breads, potatoes or pasta anymore. Just special occasions like New Years Eve--couple big porterhouse steaks with sauteed mushrooms and of course a big 'ol baked potato with sour cream. Yummy!

White potatoes turn to sugar in your gut. Not much good about that. Humans didn't eat a significant quantity of anything like modern potatoes until the evolutionarily insignificant interval of a few thousand years ago. As a traditional, holiday comfort food, why not? As a daily staple, not on my table.

Everything turns to sugar at some point in your body. It's not a problem unless it's combined with overeating, obesity, or a disease like diabetes. Which, unfortunately I have now. So I have to avoid them.

However, they also have a ton of potassium, which is one of the minerals we have a hard time getting enough of. National Academy of Sciences Recommends More Potassium, Potato #1 Source | Business Wire | Find Articles at BNET

Thereby proving my theory that in a few years the medical establishment will announce that lard and chocolate are the cure for all known ailments. :D

I didn't know they come any other way.:D

My doctor told me to avoid white potatoes so we switched to sweet potatoes or yams. Much better for you. We do them in a steamer. Twenty minutes for two big ones. I like mine with margerine and salt. Wife puts honey on hers. We've also gotten away from "white" pasta.
All of that stuff now comes in whole wheat. We don't eat any of the white breads, potatoes or pasta anymore. Just special occasions like New Years Eve--couple big porterhouse steaks with sauteed mushrooms and of course a big 'ol baked potato with sour cream. Yummy!

So what is the difference in nutritional composition between white potatoes and sweet potatoes? The local farm grows a variety of sweet potatoes (which were apparently the largest crop in NJ before WWII, to my amazement), so we have been eating more sweet potatoes these days what with eat local and all that.

I try and avoid white potatoes as I read somewhere they are bad for you, but can't remember where. Instead I have switched to eating yams which are much healthier for you. Luckily we like the taste of yams.

We also love yams, and yesterday, after playing tennis, we splurged (calorie-wise) and went to our local Fuddruckers where you can now substitute fried yams for french fries, and they were very tasty indeed.

We also love yams, and yesterday, after playing tennis, we splurged (calorie-wise) and went to our local Fuddruckers where you can now substitute fried yams for french fries, and they were very tasty indeed.

Yep, we had 'em when we went to Fuddrucker's on our trip to Texas earlier this month. They also serve the sweet 'tater fries at the Cruisin' Cafe at A1A & Main St. in Daytona Beach, FL. And we just had some the other night for dinner, that come from the grocer's freezer case....don't recall the brand...but they were most excellent (deep fried of course!).

So what is the difference in nutritional composition between white potatoes and sweet potatoes? The local farm grows a variety of sweet potatoes (which were apparently the largest crop in NJ before WWII, to my amazement), so we have been eating more sweet potatoes these days what with eat local and all that.

There's not a lot of difference between the 2 of them, although a lot more carbs in potatoes. (data from here)

Baked Yams - 1 serving (136g)
Cals 158
Fat 0
Fiber 5g
Sodium 11mg
protein 2g
Carbs 37g

Baked Potato - 1 serving (139g)
Cals 128
Fat 0
Fiber 3g
Sodium 14mg
protein 3g
Carbs 29g

Last edited:
Yep, we had 'em when we went to Fuddrucker's on our trip to Texas earlier this month. They also serve the sweet 'tater fries at the Cruisin' Cafe at A1A & Main St. in Daytona Beach, FL. And we just had some the other night for dinner, that come from the grocer's freezer case....don't recall the brand...but they were most excellent (deep fried of course!).

Deep fried is yummy :cool:

We'll often have them baked these days - some places offer a baked yam as an alternative to baked potato.

There's not a lot of difference between the 2 of them, although a lot more carbs in potatoes. (data from here)

Baked Yams - 1 serving (136g)
Cals 158
Fat 0
Fiber 5g
Sodium 11mg
protein 2g
Carbs 37g

Baked Potato - 1 serving (139g)
Cals 128
Fat 0
Fiber 3g
Sodium 14mg
protein 3g
Carbs 63g

Data on the baked potato looks fishy. 66 grams of carbs & protein times 4 calories per gram equals 264 calories vs. the 128 listed.

Data on the baked potato looks fishy. 66 grams of carbs & protein times 4 calories per gram equals 264 calories vs. the 128 listed.

Good spot - thanks

I've fixed it it - it should have been 29g carbs

- maybe eating yams affects the eysight :D

Good spot - thanks

I've fixed it it - it should have been 29g carbs

- maybe eating yams affects the eysight :D
One of the biggest differences that doesn't show up in your comparison is the glycemic index. The GI for yams is a lot lower than it is for white potatoes, which helps establish them as "healthier".

One of the biggest differences that doesn't show up in your comparison is the glycemic index. The GI for yams is a lot lower than it is for white potatoes, which helps establish them as "healthier".

Agreed - I wonder if the GI will ever be posted on the nutrition labels?

I have been wondering if the GI is determined by the food itself, or the entire mix of foods in the meal. IOW, is offsetting some High-GI food with some low-GI food in a meal similar to eating a meal of only medium-GI food.

wiki seemed to indicate that is the case, but it may be a complex relationship.

Glycemic index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The GI of a mixed meal is very difficult to predict. For example, fats and proteins can make a meal sit in the stomach longer, which reduces a food's GI.
And we get this bit of good news, unfortunately, I just finished my breakfast ;) Oh well, lunch in a few hours...

Recent studies have shown that the consumption of an alcoholic drink prior to a meal reduces the GI of the meal by approximately 15%.
-ERD50

Last edited:
With Weight Watchers the fiber content reduces the WW point value of a meal. I believe this is because the fiber (particularly soluble fiber) binds to the other food stuffs and reduces absorption as it passes through the gut (probably by speeding the passage?)

My DD did not like baked potatoes, so we generally eat baked sweet potatoes. Now that she no longer lives at home, I am going to do baked potatoes also. I love meat loaf and I think that there is a rule that you can't eat meat loaf without mashed potatoes. If not, I will make it a rule! I have not even heard of resistant starches. There is something new to learn about all the time and site teaches me so many things.

Back
Top Bottom