Q~Medicare copayments

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I've checked the medicare web site, but can't seem to find the answer to my seemingly simple Q~

Is there a copayment requirement for medicare when making a routine visit to a doctors' office. I assumed that there was a $10 or $20 or $?? copay, but it's not clear.

Isn't medicare a deductible and then coinsurance (20%) system so no co-payments?
.......and unfortunately a "routine" annual physical isn't covered except for a
one-time "Welcome to Medicare" one in the 1st 6 mos. after you turn 65.

I believe it depends upon whether you have original Medicare (fee-for-service) or a Medicare Advantage policy.

With original Medicare, the copay is 20% of the Medicare-approved amount. If you have a Medigap (i.e supplemental) policy it will pay some or all of this copay.

I believe the only case where you may have a fixed $ copay is with a Medicare Advantage Policy which operates more like an HMO.

Fire'd has the best and most global answer. For some reason, I focused on original Medicare only. There is a really good book you might find at your local library......
either the Idiot's orDummies series (don't remember which) on Medicare.

I've checked the medicare web site, but can't seem to find the answer to my seemingly simple Q~

Is there a copayment requirement for medicare when making a routine visit to a doctors' office. I assumed that there was a $10 or $20 or $?? copay, but it's not clear.

I'm on Medicare parts A&B and have a Medigap policy.

I tend to think of a copay as payment that you make at the time when you visit the doctor. With my current insurance I do not have to make a copay as I've just defined it. However, I may still have to pay an additional amount which is billed to me later.

With original Medicare, the copay is 20% of the Medicare-approved amount. If you have a Medigap (i.e supplemental) policy it will pay some or all of this copay.

I believe the only case where you may have a fixed $ copay is with a Medicare Advantage Policy which operates more like an HMO.

Thanks FIRE'd I think that's the answer that I was looking for. The references that I saw referred to a 20% copay for a number of procedures, but I was looking for a flat amount like $20/visit. I will have Tricare For Life when I'm 65 (along w/medicare) so I guess that coverage will act like a medigap policy for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom