Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Shake that booty, lose that weight
Old 04-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,373
Shake that booty, lose that weight

More reasons to lose weight:

Extra pounds in midlife affect mobility as a senior - USATODAY.com

In the "If I'd known I was going to live this long I would have taken better are of myself" vein, from the article:

Quote:
The study included 2,845 participants who were an average of 74 years old when they were enrolled. They had no mobility problems at the start of the study. During seven years of follow-up, women who were overweight or obese (body mass index of 25 or greater) from their mid-20s to their 70s were nearly three times more likely to develop mobility problems than women who were normal weight throughout their lives. Overweight or obese men were 1.6 times more likely to develop mobility problems.
__________________

__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
More reasons to lose weight:

Extra pounds in midlife affect mobility as a senior - USATODAY.com

In the "If I'd known I was going to live this long I would have taken better are of myself" vein, from the article:
From the title I thought this thread was about dancing. But the weight connection is interesting to me anyway. One thing I have noticed during my life going social dancing is that you just don't see overweight people in near the usual US proportion. And I have seen a lot of the same people now for 15 years or so, still able to dance pretty vigorously and steadily for hours.

Last night I went to a "Motown Getdown". I think there were maybe 70 people or so there. One large woman, one medium large man, everyone else on the thin side. Many of the women are very trim. The thing you see in ordinary life where some friend or colleague you haven't seen for a while seems to be suddenly much heavier, I just have not encountered.

I guess some of the women might diet pretty hard to maintain their looks, but I don't know. Many seemed to be drinking the punch and eating the brownies and stuff that were put out.

This many middle aged people together having a lot of fun with no booze or dope around is a pretty good feat too.

I do question the connection of overweight with joint problems. To me it seems that many joint problems are from trauma rather than weight.

Ha
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
From the title I thought this thread was about dancing. But the weight connection is interesting to me anyway. One thing I have noticed during my life going social dancing is that you just don't see overweight people in near the usual US proportion. And I have seen a lot of the same people now for 15 years or so, still able to dance pretty vigorously and steadily for hours.

Last night I went to a "Motown Getdown". I think there were maybe 70 people or so there. One large woman, one medium large man, everyone else on the thin side. Many of the women are very trim. The thing you see in ordinary life where some friend or colleague you haven't seen for a while seems to be suddenly much heavier, I just have not encountered.

I guess some of the women might diet pretty hard to maintain their looks, but I don't know. Many seemed to be drinking the punch and eating the brownies and stuff that were put out.

This many middle aged people together having a lot of fun with no booze or dope around is a pretty good feat too.

I do question the connection of overweight with joint problems. To me it seems that many joint problems are from trauma rather than weight.

Ha
Maybe 'all of the above'.
When the arthritis started showing up I remembered various previous knee trauma; I'm sure carrying around ~80 extra pounds didn't help either; then just throw in hereditary cartilage problems...
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,373
Re dancing and health--I had some young friends while I was still w*rking who went out almost every night until the wee hours. I commented once that I was amazed that they stayed slender while imbibing as much as they did, and they said they danced while drinking, in the clubs.

I think ballroom and other dancing is one of those sneaky very effective activities that don't seem like exercise to people who don't do it. It also probably is really good for maintaining range of motion, another thing to consider as we get older.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
freebird5825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Nowhere, 43N Latitude, NY
Posts: 9,017
I have no social dance outlets here in East Nowhere, so I dance myself at home for exercise. When the mood hits, I load up the 2 CD Donna Summer Anthology and get my booty shaking right here in the living room. She has recorded so many different tempo songs that I can change up the pace easily. It is a great workout for a go-to-the-gym hating person like me!
I know several ladies who are 5-10 years older and overweight. Every single one of them has back, knee, ankle, and foot problems. Such a shame to let their lives be limited by a very solvable problem.
I carry a few extra pounds myself but I am reasonably fit.
__________________
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
TromboneAl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,197
Quote:
To me it seems that many joint problems are from trauma rather than weight.
No comment on the overweight issue, but I do think about how it nice it would be today if I hadn't played badminton that one time in bare feet (ankle), or gone skiing with bad bindings that one night (knee) or carried that heavy computer box up four flights of stairs that one day (back).
__________________
Al
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
ratface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 212
I have to agree with the injury equation. Left knee arthritus is what the orthopedic said. Said I have normal wear and tear on that knee after an MRI and that I need to live with it. Knee started swelling and hurting after I cut grass on an incline pushing a lawn mower horizantally across the incline. Just happened one day after years of cutting that incline in the same fashion. Ran four marathons in my younger days and have run all my life up to last year. Can't go over 3mph on the treadmill now without pain and swelling and Alieve. Planted flowers on the slope since cutting it is no longer an option.
__________________
ratface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratface View Post
I have to agree with the injury equation. Left knee arthritus is what the orthopedic said. Said I have normal wear and tear on that knee after an MRI and that I need to live with it. Knee started swelling and hurting after I cut grass on an incline pushing a lawn mower horizantally across the incline. Just happened one day after years of cutting that incline in the same fashion. Ran four marathons in my younger days and have run all my life up to last year. Can't go over 3mph on the treadmill now without pain and swelling and Alieve. Planted flowers on the slope since cutting it is no longer an option.
Have you tried:

1)Physical therapy
2)Orthotics
3)Supplments like glucosimine and/or chondrotin
4)A new doctor?

Just trying to help.........
__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
Quote:
The study included 2,845 participants who were an average of 74 years old when they were enrolled. They had no mobility problems at the start of the study. During seven years of follow-up, women who were overweight or obese (body mass index of 25 or greater) from their mid-20s to their 70s were nearly three times more likely to develop mobility problems than women who were normal weight throughout their lives. Overweight or obese men were 1.6 times more likely to develop mobility problems
I'm hoping that somehow they established a causal relationship one way or the other in this study. Being fat could be causing mobility problems or it could be that having mobility problems contributes to weight gain. It is hard to burn calories in that scooter chair
__________________

__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ultimate Lose-Weight, Save Money Diet Bree Other topics 39 10-02-2008 10:27 AM
Would you like to gain weight loose weight or stay the same? Poll summer2007 Health and Early Retirement 36 08-05-2008 11:38 AM
Yet another thread on how fat you are....lose weight and save at the pump! maddythebeagle Other topics 11 10-29-2006 03:48 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:02 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.