Shake that booty, lose that weight

Bestwifeever

Moderator Emeritus
More reasons to lose weight:

Extra pounds in midlife affect mobility as a senior - USATODAY.com

In the "If I'd known I was going to live this long I would have taken better are of myself" vein, from the article:

The study included 2,845 participants who were an average of 74 years old when they were enrolled. They had no mobility problems at the start of the study. During seven years of follow-up, women who were overweight or obese (body mass index of 25 or greater) from their mid-20s to their 70s were nearly three times more likely to develop mobility problems than women who were normal weight throughout their lives. Overweight or obese men were 1.6 times more likely to develop mobility problems.

More reasons to lose weight:

Extra pounds in midlife affect mobility as a senior - USATODAY.com

In the "If I'd known I was going to live this long I would have taken better are of myself" vein, from the article:

From the title I thought this thread was about dancing. But the weight connection is interesting to me anyway. One thing I have noticed during my life going social dancing is that you just don't see overweight people in near the usual US proportion. And I have seen a lot of the same people now for 15 years or so, still able to dance pretty vigorously and steadily for hours.

Last night I went to a "Motown Getdown". I think there were maybe 70 people or so there. One large woman, one medium large man, everyone else on the thin side. Many of the women are very trim. The thing you see in ordinary life where some friend or colleague you haven't seen for a while seems to be suddenly much heavier, I just have not encountered.

I guess some of the women might diet pretty hard to maintain their looks, but I don't know. Many seemed to be drinking the punch and eating the brownies and stuff that were put out.

This many middle aged people together having a lot of fun with no booze or dope around is a pretty good feat too.

I do question the connection of overweight with joint problems. To me it seems that many joint problems are from trauma rather than weight.

Ha

From the title I thought this thread was about dancing. But the weight connection is interesting to me anyway. One thing I have noticed during my life going social dancing is that you just don't see overweight people in near the usual US proportion. And I have seen a lot of the same people now for 15 years or so, still able to dance pretty vigorously and steadily for hours.

Last night I went to a "Motown Getdown". I think there were maybe 70 people or so there. One large woman, one medium large man, everyone else on the thin side. Many of the women are very trim. The thing you see in ordinary life where some friend or colleague you haven't seen for a while seems to be suddenly much heavier, I just have not encountered.

I guess some of the women might diet pretty hard to maintain their looks, but I don't know. Many seemed to be drinking the punch and eating the brownies and stuff that were put out.

This many middle aged people together having a lot of fun with no booze or dope around is a pretty good feat too.

I do question the connection of overweight with joint problems. To me it seems that many joint problems are from trauma rather than weight.

Ha

Maybe 'all of the above'.
When the arthritis started showing up I remembered various previous knee trauma; I'm sure carrying around ~80 extra pounds didn't help either; then just throw in hereditary cartilage problems...

Re dancing and health--I had some young friends while I was still w*rking who went out almost every night until the wee hours. I commented once that I was amazed that they stayed slender while imbibing as much as they did, and they said they danced while drinking, in the clubs.

I think ballroom and other dancing is one of those sneaky very effective activities that don't seem like exercise to people who don't do it. It also probably is really good for maintaining range of motion, another thing to consider as we get older.

I have no social dance outlets here in East Nowhere, so I dance myself at home for exercise. When the mood hits, I load up the 2 CD Donna Summer Anthology and get my booty shaking right here in the living room. She has recorded so many different tempo songs that I can change up the pace easily. It is a great workout for a go-to-the-gym hating person like me! :D
I know several ladies who are 5-10 years older and overweight. Every single one of them has back, knee, ankle, and foot problems. Such a shame to let their lives be limited by a very solvable problem. :nonono:
I carry a few extra pounds myself but I am reasonably fit.

To me it seems that many joint problems are from trauma rather than weight.

No comment on the overweight issue, but I do think about how it nice it would be today if I hadn't played badminton that one time in bare feet (ankle), or gone skiing with bad bindings that one night (knee) or carried that heavy computer box up four flights of stairs that one day (back).

I have to agree with the injury equation. Left knee arthritus is what the orthopedic said. Said I have normal wear and tear on that knee after an MRI and that I need to live with it. Knee started swelling and hurting after I cut grass on an incline pushing a lawn mower horizantally across the incline. Just happened one day after years of cutting that incline in the same fashion. Ran four marathons in my younger days and have run all my life up to last year. Can't go over 3mph on the treadmill now without pain and swelling and Alieve. Planted flowers on the slope since cutting it is no longer an option.

I have to agree with the injury equation. Left knee arthritus is what the orthopedic said. Said I have normal wear and tear on that knee after an MRI and that I need to live with it. Knee started swelling and hurting after I cut grass on an incline pushing a lawn mower horizantally across the incline. Just happened one day after years of cutting that incline in the same fashion. Ran four marathons in my younger days and have run all my life up to last year. Can't go over 3mph on the treadmill now without pain and swelling and Alieve. Planted flowers on the slope since cutting it is no longer an option.

Have you tried:

1)Physical therapy
2)Orthotics
3)Supplments like glucosimine and/or chondrotin
4)A new doctor?

Just trying to help.........:greetings10:

The study included 2,845 participants who were an average of 74 years old when they were enrolled. They had no mobility problems at the start of the study. During seven years of follow-up, women who were overweight or obese (body mass index of 25 or greater) from their mid-20s to their 70s were nearly three times more likely to develop mobility problems than women who were normal weight throughout their lives. Overweight or obese men were 1.6 times more likely to develop mobility problems

I'm hoping that somehow they established a causal relationship one way or the other in this study. Being fat could be causing mobility problems or it could be that having mobility problems contributes to weight gain. It is hard to burn calories in that scooter chair

Back
Top Bottom