Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets
MissMolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Now that right there is gross...
+1

I would never attempt to DIY something like this. With the torment my gut is already in, I would much prefer this procedure to be done in as sanitary a situation as possible, and I would want the donor material to be screened for any additional bad organisms. Also, if done during a colonoscopy (the normal procedure) they are able to populate the entire colon instead of just the lower end. Yes, if all other treatments fail, I will do this. As gross as this sounds, it is highly preferable to what I am currently suffering. This is one nasty disease.
__________________

__________________
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
MissMolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Like I said earlier, my MIL died from C diff. She was otherwise pretty healthy.
Travelover - I was wondering if you would be willing to share any additional information on your MIL? You say she was otherwise pretty healthy, so why did she die from this? Was it the malabsorption issues associated with this, or did it go into some kind of secondary infection? What medications did she try and how long did she suffer from this? I have thought about this statement all day long. If you choose not to respond, I will understand.
__________________

__________________
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Travelover - I was wondering if you would be willing to share any additional information on your MIL? You say she was otherwise pretty healthy, so why did she die from this? Was it the malabsorption issues associated with this, or did it go into some kind of secondary infection? What medications did she try and how long did she suffer from this? I have thought about this statement all day long. If you choose not to respond, I will understand.
Sorry, I'm light on details as my XDW, an RN, was really her advocate. All I know for sure was that she caught the C diff in the hospital and couldn't shake it.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Marita40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 1,118
MissMolly, I private messaged you.
__________________
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets
MissMolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
MissMolly, I private messaged you.
Got it. Thanks.
__________________
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,518
As mentioned, my father had this years ago, he was in his 80's, and he eventually beat it with the Vanco.

I thought he was going to die, primarily because he lost all hope, for the first time. He's always so upbeat. He also lost very significant body weight, which could have caused heart issues.

But he perked right up with the Vanco. And then gained the weight back.

One thing I want to mention: he was in a nursing wing where everyone had C-diff. We had to keep reminding dad that he could re-infect himself easily. I mean, I saw one patient dribbling feces down the hallway. Not his fault, it just comes out least expected. Dad had bad habits like using a paper towel to wipe the droplets off the sink and then put it to his lips. (Yeah, I know, gross.) We had to retrain him.

The point is, please be aware of where your hands are and keep them far way from your face. As we understand it, the hand sanitizers do nothing for this. You practically have to dunk your hands in bleach. I just about tied my own hands behind my back during that period.
__________________
JoeWras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets
MissMolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
As mentioned, my father had this years ago, he was in his 80's, and he eventually beat it with the Vanco.

I thought he was going to die, primarily because he lost all hope, for the first time. He's always so upbeat. He also lost very significant body weight, which could have caused heart issues.

But he perked right up with the Vanco. And then gained the weight back.

One thing I want to mention: he was in a nursing wing where everyone had C-diff. We had to keep reminding dad that he could re-infect himself easily. I mean, I saw one patient dribbling feces down the hallway. Not his fault, it just comes out least expected. Dad had bad habits like using a paper towel to wipe the droplets off the sink and then put it to his lips. (Yeah, I know, gross.) We had to retrain him.

The point is, please be aware of where your hands are and keep them far way from your face. As we understand it, the hand sanitizers do nothing for this. You practically have to dunk your hands in bleach. I just about tied my own hands behind my back during that period.
JoeWras - thank you for this. This information is much the same as I have been reading about. You pick up this illness so innocently, not even knowing you have been exposed. Mine is suspected to come from having been on antibiotics from a tooth problem and then taking my mom to the hospital for an ultrasound shortly after. I take my mom (who is 82) to all her medical appointments of which she has many. So every week I am in a doctor's office, clinic or hospital setting due to my mom. Most of her docs specialize in geriatric care, so it is really not certain exactly where I picked this up. I thought I was doing a good job with the hand washing - but obviously not. I am glad your father recovered, especially given his advanced age at the time.
__________________
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
JoeWras - thank you for this. This information is much the same as I have been reading about. You pick up this illness so innocently, not even knowing you have been exposed. Mine is suspected to come from having been on antibiotics from a tooth problem and then taking my mom to the hospital for an ultrasound shortly after. I take my mom (who is 82) to all her medical appointments of which she has many. So every week I am in a doctor's office, clinic or hospital setting due to my mom. Most of her docs specialize in geriatric care, so it is really not certain exactly where I picked this up. I thought I was doing a good job with the hand washing - but obviously not. I am glad your father recovered, especially given his advanced age at the time.
MissMolly, yep, you probably got it at the hospital. My sister's friend went through a scenario just like yours. She got it visiting her mom in the hospital. That's one reason she and I were so paranoid about our own hygiene. We learned you can pick this up. We weren't on antibiotics, but we also didn't want to take chances.

Another thing to mention: dad did most of the vanco at home. They almost didn't want to release him. We wanted him out of there so we could get him in a cleaner environment. Convinced we'd care for him, they let him go. So, when he got home, I followed him for a few days with bleach wipe downs of his vanity, toilets, etc. Then, occasional wipe downs after that.

Disinfect, disinfect, disinfect.
__________________

__________________
JoeWras is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:50 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.