Shingles Vaccination

Flu shot and Zostavax are definitely two separate vaccines. While the flu shot will have 3 to 4 different strains of flu it will not have shingles vaccine in it. The shingles vaccine is live and has to be kept frozen in powder form till reconstituted and used within 20 minutes. Flu tends to be in the muscle (now nasally and intradermal) vs. subcutaneous for the shingles. Not to mention the price of $200 for shingles and $15 for flu.

You are correct. I was mistaken. Somehow, I came to a wrong belief after browsing through vaccine & flu articles at the time I had my shingles. After your reply (and Meadbh's), searched internet again and I can't find the same article that made me believe flu vaccine can have shingles vaccine. My doctor is completely exonerated :D:blush::facepalm:.

You are correct. I was mistaken. Somehow, I came to a wrong belief after browsing through vaccine & flu articles at the time I had my shingles. After your reply (and Meadbh's), searched internet again and I can't find the same article that made me believe flu vaccine can have shingles vaccine. My doctor is completely exonerated :D:blush::facepalm:.

All is forgiven. This is a good time to reflect that we should not believe everything we read on the internet. :)

Those of you that had the shingles vaccine 4-5 years ago are you getting or have you gotten a 2nd dose...just wondering the the medicare or insurance stand is on a repeat dose? It seems as if this is one area where you want to maintain full immunity if possible.

I see that Zinger asked this question also, but no one has responded.

I would describe the pain from my bout with Shingles about 7-8 yrs ago as a nasty combination of cracked ribs and 3rd degree sunburn. It hurt to move and hurt to touch the skin. This thread is a good reminder to get the shot...thanks.

I would describe the pain from my bout with Shingles about 7-8 yrs ago as a nasty combination of cracked ribs and 3rd degree sunburn. It hurt to move and hurt to touch the skin. This thread is a good reminder to get the shot...thanks.

While watching a show on Jellyfish the other day, it dawned on me that pain the time I waterskied in Chesapeake bay and fell into a swarm of jellyfish was very similar to the pain I had with shingles.

From what my doctor told me, although the vaccine is approved for those over 50 it is only recommended for those over 60 to ensure that there is adequate supply of the vaccine.

I've seen friends get shingles and its awful. I wanted the shot.

I had a shingles shot at my doctors office 3 months ago. Fully covered by insurance. Age 51.

I could be wrong but I believe the shingles vaccine is part of the ACA preventive care so it should be free! Excluding Medicare. Does that sound right?

Last edited:
I just got my senior (high dosage) flu shot at CVS about an hour ago. It was a very light pinprick, and so far no side effects, and I didn't have to pay a cent for it because Medicare foots the bill. Quick and easy.

In a week or so (when I am sure I am not experiencing side effects from the flu vaccine), I plan to go back and get vaccinated for shingles. Somehow that escaped my attention until now. I don't think Medicare will pay for it, but maybe my BCBS would pick up some of the cost. If not, it's still worth it to avoid getting shingles from what I've heard.

Last edited:
I just got my senior (high dosage) flu shot at CVS about an hour ago. It was a very light pinprick, and so far no side effects, and I didn't have to pay a cent for it because Medicare foots the bill. Quick and easy.

In a week or so (when I am sure I am not experiencing side effects from the flu vaccine), I plan to go back and get vaccinated for shingles. Somehow that escaped my attention until now. I don't think Medicare will pay for it, but maybe my BCBS would pick up some of the cost. If not, it's still worth it to avoid getting shingles from what I've heard.

I believe Medicare covers the shingles vaccine under part D.

I believe Medicare covers the shingles vaccine under part D.

According to BCBS, my federal BCBS plan that I carry along with Medicare is equal to or better than Part D plans, making the latter redundant. Sounds like my plan should help defray some of the costs, then. Thanks!

I loved that Medicare Part B covered today's flu vaccination entirely. :D

The shingles vaccine was fully covered under my federal retiree BCBS health plan with no co-pay -- however, I needed a doctor's prescription to get it (unlike the flu vaccine, which you don't need a prescription for and can just walk in and get).

According to BCBS, my federal BCBS plan that I carry along with Medicare is equal to or better than Part D plans, making the latter redundant. Sounds like my plan should help defray some of the costs, then. Thanks!

I loved that Medicare Part B covered today's flu vaccination entirely. :D

A couple of years ago, when I was interested in getting a shingles vaccine, I called BCBS to verify my coverage. BCBS would only cover it if it was administered at a doctor's office. (I'm glad I called, as I was planning to go to a local pharmacy to get the shot.) My doctor had to order the shingles vaccine which took a few weeks (due to supply issues). BCBS paid 100% which made me happy :) (as compared to shelling-out ~$250 out-of-pocket).

omni

I think BCBS requires that it is *prescribed* by a physician, but in my experience they didn't care where it is actually administered. I asked for and got a prescription from my doctor at my annual physical, but then got the shot itself at Safeway during a grocery shopping visit (and got a 10% off coupon to boot!). Their pharmacy had the vaccine in stock, so no delay, no waiting. BCBS paid for it all.

Thanks, all! Sounds like I could possibly save some $$$ if I call BCBS and maybe get a prescription from my doctor, before getting my shingles shot.

I think BCBS requires that it is *prescribed* by a physician, but in my experience they didn't care where it is actually administered. I asked for and got a prescription from my doctor at my annual physical, but then got the shot itself at Safeway during a grocery shopping visit (and got a 10% off coupon to boot!). Their pharmacy had the vaccine in stock, so no delay, no waiting. BCBS paid for it all.

I do not have part D as I have BCBS for prescription drugs which includes the shingle vaccine. When I called BCBS they said while the vaccine did not have to be administered in a Dr's office (this is a change from previous years) it must be given by a "licensed medical professional" which to them did NOT include a pharmacist. Go figure. My Dr does not carry the shingles vaccine due to special storage issues. They want $214 at Walgreens.

Shingles vaccine at a CVS pharmacy, no muss no fuss. They checked first for me through their system to be sure it would be covered as 100% preventative. I knew it should be with my insurance, but they could check to be sure it would process, so there would be no surprises for me later, like a getting a $200+ bill in the mail.

Walmart here gives all sorts of shots through their pharmacy, including Shingles, but they weren't listed on my insurance company website for vaccinations, so I assume they are not part of the insurance companys preventative program for vaccinations.

DH and I, both in our late 50s, recently got shingles vaccines. Mine through my primary care physician and DH at Walgreens. We have BCBS and had no out of pocket costs in either case. Here's my question. My doctor told me the shingles vaccine is good for 5 years. The pharmacist at Walgreens told DH one vaccine is good for life. Any chance of different vaccines? If not, who's correct - doctor or pharmacist?

My doctor told me the shingles vaccine is good for 5 years. The pharmacist at Walgreens told DH one vaccine is good for life. Any chance of different vaccines? If not, who's correct - doctor or pharmacist?

Here's what WebMd says, FWIW:

Keep in mind that researchers still don't know how long immunity lasts with the shingles vaccine. More research, though, will determine whether a booster shot will be needed at some point later on.

What's the deal with age 60? Is that when people are most likely to get shingles? My wife got it around age 40 and one of my friends just got it coming up on 46. Do I correctly understand that you can't get the vaccine this young? Sorry if this was covered. This caught my attention but didn't take the time to read through all of the posts.

What's the deal with age 60? Is that when people are most likely to get shingles? My wife got it around age 40 and one of my friends just got it coming up on 46. Do I correctly understand that you can't get the vaccine this young? Sorry if this was covered. This caught my attention but didn't take the time to read through all of the posts.
Both the frequency and severity of shingles goes up as you age. The dividing line between a small event and a big event seems to be about age 50. Younger people have stronger immune systems. When I had it a couple of years ago (age 46?), I experienced almost no pain, and no rash that popped through my skin.

The vaccine is actually recommended for 50 and over but they had changed it to 60 for reasons of not enough vaccine (not sure what the latest info is though)

One reason not to take it before 50 is that no one really knows the long long term efficacy of the vaccine. So best not to get it until it will actually do some real good.

It's not clear to me how a vaccination for a virus one's body has already seen (shingles is another manifestation of the chickenpox virus), and presumably has already created anitbodies for, can be effective.

It's not clear to me how a vaccination for a virus one's body has already seen (shingles is another manifestation of the chickenpox virus), and presumably has already created anitbodies for, can be effective.
Good question:
Zostavax (shingles vaccine)

How does it work?
Zostavax contains a live but weakened form of the virus that causes shingles, Varicella-zoster. This is the virus that also causes chickenpox. The vaccine works by stimulating the body's immune response to this virus, without actually causing disease.
Most people catch the Varicella-zoster virus in childhood, at which point it usually causes chickenpox. However some people can be infected with the virus without actually getting the chickenpox symptoms.
Once inside your body, the Varicella-zoster virus can remain inactive in your nerve cells for decades. Your immune system produces antibodies against the virus and keeps it from causing further infections. However, as you get older your immunity to this virus weakens and this can cause it to reactivate. When the virus reactivates it causes shingles, not chickenpox. This can also happen if you become very run down or have a condition or treatment that weakens your immune system.
Zostavax contains a weakened form of the Varicella zoster virus. It is given to make your body produce more antibodies against this virus and boost the body’s weakening immunity to it. This helps prevent any dormant virus from reactivating and causing shingles.

Read more: Zostavax (shingles vaccine)
Follow us: @NetDoctor on Twitter | NetDoctorUK on Facebook

I wonder….Is there anyone on this forum who got the shingles vaccine but still ended up with shingles?

I was talking with a friend the other day who had it at age 60. He still has affects from it. He's now 63. He urged me to get the vaccine. I'm very cautious with vaccines as I always wonder if there is a part of it that doesn't create the antibodies but goes dormant only to rear it's head later (since they are all made with live virus).

I wonder….Is there anyone on this forum who got the shingles vaccine but still ended up with shingles?

I was talking with a friend the other day who had it at age 60. He still has affects from it. He's now 63. He urged me to get the vaccine. I'm very cautious with vaccines as I always wonder if there is a part of it that doesn't create the antibodies but goes dormant only to rear it's head later (since they are all made with live virus).
The vaccine reduces the incidence of shingles by around 50% and tends to reduce the severity. Most importantly, it reduces the incidence of the most severe form of shingles by about 75%.

Roughly 30% of peoples will get shingles in their lifetime. So the vaccine makes a real impact compared to vaccinations against rarer diseases or diseases with less severe consequences.

Back
Top Bottom