Sleep monitors.

Sleep monitors

Results are in and just as i thought it seems i have a bad case of sleep apnea,seems i stop breathing 88 times per night:rolleyes: potential cure? a $3000 vpap machine that this sleep clinic conveniently sells:rolleyes:

I've been using my cpap about 3 years and it is worth the hastle. I really resisted but you do get used to it. That price seems high for a vpap - I would expect about half that but it's been a while since I shopped them.

Why not see if you can get the model number of the unit they are offering and shop the price...

The unit will cost $2200 then add on 7% federal sales tax then on top of that another 7% provincial sales tax.
My problem is i just dont see $2200 of technology in the unit,A small air pump i could get for $60 at the local aquarium store and a small computing device that could be made from scratch for about $50,and a fancy plastic box $10,and some hoses and mask $20 and pay some Chinese assembly worker $20 to assemble it:rolleyes::confused::confused:

I'll definitely report back on its usefulness after using it for a month..

When i buy it i'm sure the guy will answer any questions i have but one in particular has been bothering me,
I'm going to be sleeping with an airtight mask over my face and relying on this device to keep the mask pressurized with air,what happens if there is a power failure? do i get axphyxiated.:D

Results are in and just as i thought it seems i have a bad case of sleep apnea,seems i stop breathing 88 times per night:rolleyes: potential cure? a $3000 vpap machine that this sleep clinic conveniently sells:rolleyes: My spider senses are tingling,i just dont see $3k in this stupid little machine ,i could buy 3 laptops for the price they want for this little machine and all it has to do is pump air into a mask!!! :confused:and i'm only going on their say so that i have a sleeping problem in the first place.:confused::rolleyes::duh: how do i know this place isnt just a scam to get people to buy useless little plastic boxes for $3000.?
The only reason i give this place credibility is my family doctor for 30yrs and my Diabetic doctor at the diabetic clinic both recommended i go to this place as a possible solution to my chronic tiredness.
Fortunately insurance covers the cost.

Jambo.

Are you sure that was 88 times per NIGHT? When I got my sleep study results, I averaged 64 apneas per HOUR, which was considered severe apnea. If you had only 88 apneas in an 8 hour sleep that is an average only 11 per hour and probably does not require CPAP treatment.

Grumpy

Jambo, that's 59 incidents per hour...pretty bad. Get the machine, thank your lucky stars they found it when they did. Apnea can raise your blood pressure to dangerous levels, cause all kinds of other problems, least of which is falling asleep at the wheel...usually a deadly proposition.

R

I'll get the machine but i feel like someone's getting close to $3000 for something that in reality is worth less than $150:mad:

Guess i'm the only member using a cpap machine?after two weeks of usage i havent slept this well in many years..
Remstar M series A-flex with Resmed ultra Mirage mask.

$3000 sounds high. DH has a BiPAP that cost about 1/2 of that several years back; still going strong after about 7 years of nightly use. But then again I don't know what a "vpap" is.

As far as cost, you have to think a.) it is a niche market, somewhat; b.) the thing is somewhat computerized; it records your history, it adjusts pressure in real time, it can ramp up as you fall asleep, it has to adhere to more human safety regs than a WalMart aquarium pump or whatever (sheesh!); c.) it's one of those things that gets marked up 2x for most, since "insurance pays for it" as a matter of course.

Even if you paid $1500 out of pocket.. if it lasts 7 years that is $.60/night. Many spend a couple $k on mattresses with that rationale and this is hardly different; in fact, it is more important to breathe correctly while sleeping than anything else, we may assume.

I have bought from and recommend CPAP Supplies Plus/Direct - CPAP Machines & CPAP Supplies at Low Prices! as a supplier of masks, tubing, etc. They are now forced to display $$$ ins.co. pricing but you can get supplies half off of that at least by clicking on certain links or by contacting them directly. They will sell machines as well but only with an Rx... No listing for the "A-flex" but there is a REMstar "C-flex" for $500, similar to what swkoo noted. DH uses the "comfortgel" mask (~$130 ins. cost; ~1/2 that direct cost).

Jambo101, I'm glad you're feeling positive results.

DH uses his religiously and nary a real complaint. When pressed, he says "yeah, it's not a great feeling to have air rushing at you, but you get used to it, and overall it is very much worth it."

Thanks ladelfina, great link,i can now see my doctors profit margin on the machine i bought for $2200,although it does come with a free mask change for the first year also free consultations with the doctor anytime,and the machine is a lot more complex than i thought.
Heres the one i got
Remstar M-Series Auto w/AFLEX
With heated humidifier.

Back
Top Bottom